Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Female Mechanic Now on Duty
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.23.2018, 02:07 PM   #41
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
... hennnhh?!

Really?

Dude.
Yeah seriously!!
Bone?????
Bull in the heather??
Quest for the cup?
Starfield road?
SWEET SHINE?

I could go on.
Good god.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2018, 02:13 PM   #42
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
Yeah seriously!!
Bone?????
Bull in the heather??
Quest for the cup?
Starfield road?
SWEET SHINE?

I could go on.
Good god.

Sweet Shine is one of the band’s best songs.

The rest of it just jangle rocks the fuck out.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2018, 03:15 PM   #43
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Going back to the original topic, "Female Mechanic Now On Duty" has always been a favorite - since the first time I heard it, performed instrumentally on that PBS show in summer '97. I loved the riff and all the wildness around it, Steve's thumping beat, the big one-chord noise break, and then that fractured clean riff with Lee's ring-modulated squawks echoing, a new chord with a new beat, Steve shaking that tiny maraca, and then Thurston shaking the ground with his Blue Box bursts. The tension in that one-note climax builds to a perfect finish.

Then the album came out and Kim played the riff all different. What the..? Yeah, I'm still only slightly less bitter 20 years later...it just takes away from the pounding menace that the live version has and gives it a more laidback feel. I love her vocal, and the rest of the song (including that very climax taken from the PBS show) is perfection.

They never played it live with this alternate rhythm, before or after the album was released, so I've just always found it odd that they went with such a different vibe for the album.

All that said, it's still one of my top go-to songs for sitting outside and listening to music, particularly on a rainy fall day like today. Which leads me to a weird topic - do you segregate SY albums by weather/time of day/etc? My friend and I always had a joke about listening to "Ghost Bitch" walking downtown in the early afternoon, how inappropriate it feels. I definitely link certain albums to certain moods, but some are more versatile than others.

Fuck, shut up!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2018, 03:22 PM   #44
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
^

Noice.

Now I want to watch the PBS performance and go back down the rabbit hole.
Old 11.23.2018, 04:18 PM   #45
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Yes i neeed to see/hear this pbs performance. Is it online? Link?
Old 11.23.2018, 05:09 PM   #46
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yes i neeed to see/hear this pbs performance. Is it online? Link?

Are you guys talking about the Sessions At West 54th performance? I loved that show!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2018, 06:04 PM   #47
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
https://youtu.be/5Jj_hCTh-UU?t=1126
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2018, 06:31 PM   #48
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

That's the one. Has the video circulated on Dimeadozen or some such site? I think I have the audio... Damn messy archives of mine, man.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 11.23.2018, 06:33 PM   #49
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
Going back to the original topic, "Female Mechanic Now On Duty" has always been a favorite - since the first time I heard it, performed instrumentally on that PBS show in summer '97. I loved the riff and all the wildness around it, Steve's thumping beat, the big one-chord noise break, and then that fractured clean riff with Lee's ring-modulated squawks echoing, a new chord with a new beat, Steve shaking that tiny maraca, and then Thurston shaking the ground with his Blue Box bursts. The tension in that one-note climax builds to a perfect finish.

Then the album came out and Kim played the riff all different. What the..? Yeah, I'm still only slightly less bitter 20 years later...it just takes away from the pounding menace that the live version has and gives it a more laidback feel. I love her vocal, and the rest of the song (including that very climax taken from the PBS show) is perfection.

They never played it live with this alternate rhythm, before or after the album was released, so I've just always found it odd that they went with such a different vibe for the album.

All that said, it's still one of my top go-to songs for sitting outside and listening to music, particularly on a rainy fall day like today. Which leads me to a weird topic - do you segregate SY albums by weather/time of day/etc? My friend and I always had a joke about listening to "Ghost Bitch" walking downtown in the early afternoon, how inappropriate it feels. I definitely link certain albums to certain moods, but some are more versatile than others.

Fuck, shut up!

could not write it better.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2018, 06:34 PM   #50
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I know it's blasphemy, but I admit I heard EJSTNS like twice in my life, overall. And I disliked it both of the times.

srsly, I dont know why, but I like the album very much. It is not on the top of my list, but it is still good.

Old 11.23.2018, 06:37 PM   #51
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
Can't really remember where I heard about them - probably some article or factoid linking them with Nirvana.

oh, I see. Nirvana connection...

Old 11.23.2018, 07:19 PM   #52
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Can't really remember where I heard about them - probably some article or factoid linking them with Nirvana.

Sidenote: it's very refreshing, to me at least, to encounter LGBTQ+ people who don't adhere to the typical boring music tastes that community too often seems to follow like an obligation or an inevitable trend. I've met dozens of gay people (before anyone gets smartass about it, I don't mention this as "trolling for a badge", m'kay; I'm just stating a fact) and it's always the usual shit suspects: Madonna, Cher, bullcrap. Why can't they go for Hüsker Dü? Two thirds of the fuckin' band were gay! Why can't they go for Laura Nyro?

Just sayin'...

Old 11.23.2018, 08:05 PM   #53
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Sidenote: it's very refreshing, to me at least, to encounter LGBTQ+ people who don't adhere to the typical boring music tastes that community too often seems to follow like an obligation or an inevitable trend. I've met dozens of gay people (before anyone gets smartass about it, I don't mention this as "trolling for a badge", m'kay; I'm just stating a fact) and it's always the usual shit suspects: Madonna, Cher, bullcrap. Why can't they go for Hüsker Dü? Two thirds of the fuckin' band were gay! Why can't they go for Laura Nyro?

Just sayin'...

My first gay roommate (I’ve had, like, six) got turned onto Sonic Youth after hearing me listen to “Silver Rocket.”

He was into Aphex Twin and Trail of Dead and Amon Tobin and Nine Inch Nails and (blech) Smashing Pumpkins but sion got really into punk. We saw SY live together a few times.

My second gay roommate (who’s married to a woman and goes by a “female” name now but remains queer), was into Velvets, early REM, Wilco, Televisoon... got me into Television, actually... Talking Heads. Sonic Youth, Husker Du, Modern Lovers... his collection was like mine without the industrial, hardcore and hip-hop. He’s basically my musical soulmate and he’d have have set you straight on this misconception long ago.

Maybe you’re just hanging out with a certain group of gay people?

Anyway, not giving you shit, just funny how different our experiences have been.
Old 11.23.2018, 08:10 PM   #54
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Maybe you’re just hanging out with a certain group of gay people?

Apparently! Piece-a-shit country this one...

Old 11.23.2018, 08:25 PM   #55
d.sound
the destroyed room

I have no idea what you are talking about. I personally know 4 trans experimental musicians. I'm trans. My sort of girlfriend is trans and likes experimental music.
Old 11.23.2018, 08:28 PM   #56
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about. I personally know 4 trans experimental musicians. I'm trans. My sort of girlfriend is trans and likes experimental music.

As I said: crap country here, wrong crowd.

Old 11.23.2018, 08:33 PM   #57
d.sound
the destroyed room

In what country do you live?
Old 11.23.2018, 09:43 PM   #58
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Sidenote: it's very refreshing, to me at least, to encounter LGBTQ+ people who don't adhere to the typical boring music tastes that community too often seems to follow like an obligation or an inevitable trend.

lol

All of my fellow adolescent queers in the local area listen to mid-2000s pop-punk. I swear to god, if I have to listen to one more conversation about Panic! at the Disco...
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2018, 06:48 AM   #59
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
1. Sister
2. Bad Moon Rising
3. Daydream Nation
4. Confusion Is Sex + Kill Your Idols
5. Sonic Nurse
6. Evol
7. Murray Street
8. Dirty
9. Washing Machine
10. Goo
11. Sonic Youth
12. The Eternal
13. Rather Ripped
14. A Thousand Leaves
15. Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star
16. New York City Ghosts & Flowers

also Lee is my fav member, hands down... then Steve

but dino jr > sonic youth, tbh
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2018, 08:40 AM   #60
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
lol

All of my fellow adolescent queers in the local area listen to mid-2000s pop-punk. I swear to god, if I have to listen to one more conversation about Panic! at the Disco...

... What would there even be to talk about?!

I’m trying to imagine it but I can get no further than “Panic at the disco! is a band.”

*vomits in mouth*

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth