Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Franz Ferdinand
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.24.2008, 06:08 PM   #21
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
fucking kings of leon and kaiser chiefs are among those shitty bands as well
arctic monkeys, bloc party, yeah yeah yeahs

EAT ME
Old 01.24.2008, 06:19 PM   #22
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
I know I should be ashamed of it, but I totally like them. I find their first album really really good, and the second is good too. They're not doing anything new but they do it so well! Take Me Out is a killer IMO.

Okay, now you can kill me

I like Franz Ferdinand for parties. It is like bubblegum Gang of Four.

Musically, I'd rate them above the Arctic Monkeys and all that other tripe. Franz Ferdinand is way more fun. But still pretty void. I'd rather listen to Gang of Four, but to me they are like the part of New Wave music of the 80's that does have something to offer. I'd say Franz Ferdinand are maybe like Aha, and the Arctic Monkeys are like Duran Duran.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 06:22 PM   #23
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
in the case of bands like franz fuckdinand or interpuke or the horrors, when not only do they cope riffs but also looks, vocal styles, poses, fashion, etc. then calling them rip off is not only elemental, but also a duty.

Meh. Personally, don't like any of them, but FF come from a long line of 'people who dress like that' and they are certainly not the first to 'play guitars like that'. I hear Fire Engines, others hear Gang of Four.

Interpol sound a bit like Joy Division insofar as I don't like them, but he's got an entirely different voice, different register and the 'body' of the voice is produced lower down (Curtis' is 'nasal', by which I mean the tone comes from there rather than meaning nasal in a bad way). Their music sounds more like that era of Echo and the Bunnymen/ u2 where everything sounds a bit swimmy and shit (on a related note, I do really like Doves).

The Horrors are a cartoon goth-garage band. There's millions of them, they just happen to be very tight and sexy as fuck and therefore popular. 'Goth' is not the exclusive domain of the Birthday Party, sartorially or sonically. They're a good live band. Hey, people like good live bands.

I'm quite sensitive to voices. I'm sure I've said that here before. I can never hear when someone is meant to sound like someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 06:33 PM   #24
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i don't usually disagree with you Glice, but i have to this time.

a) i don't like any of those bands.

b) franz ferdinand come from that long tradition of playing like that, fire engines, etc. but when that tradition stopped 20 years before but all of a sudden becomes fashionable and a band like ff comes along, is it a coincidence?

c) of course, there are physical limitations to sounding too much like ian curtis; besides, if i've heard 1 and a half interpol songs, i'd be exageratting; i don't analyze shit that irritates me.

d) sure, i hear alien sex fiend and specimen in the horrors a bit, but that guy tries too hard to vocalize like nick cave did (but fails miserably), the guitar player does the scratchy, random picking (and fails at that even) that roland s howard did. i saw a clip of them live, the singer came down stage to run around the barricades like bono or something, really not a good live band.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 06:40 PM   #25
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i don't usually disagree with you Glice, but i have to this time.

a) i don't like any of those bands.

b) franz ferdinand come from that long tradition of playing like that, fire engines, etc. but when that tradition stopped 20 years before but all of a sudden becomes fashionable and a band like ff comes along, is it a coincidence?

c) of course, there are physical limitations to sounding too much like ian curtis; besides, if i've heard 1 and a half interpol songs, i'd be exageratting; i don't analyze shit that irritates me.

d) sure, i hear alien sex fiend and specimen in the horrors a bit, but that guy tries too hard to vocalize like nick cave did (but fails miserably), the guitar player does the scratchy, random picking (and fails at that even) that roland s howard did. i saw a clip of them live, the singer came down stage to run around the barricades like bono or something, really not a good live band.

In fairness, I was hesitant about posting because I usually agree with yourself (aww, group hug etc).

Essentially, I think we're saying "Here are some bands. We both dislike them. EN dislikes them for reasons x, y & z; G subsequently does not dislike them for the same reasons".

I will say that British (insignificant) indie has done what FF are doing for years. The mystery is why they got famous. I have the same feelings about the White Stripes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 06:47 PM   #26
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
You sound as if you're ashamed, threadmaker, why so? I don't think there's any need to be.

I'm not into Franz Ferdinand but I don't have anything against them no matter who they ripped off. Their intention seems honest and admirable for the least part.
Old 01.24.2008, 06:58 PM   #27
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I dug Franz Ferdinand's first album back in the day. I wasn't really aware of the bands that they ripped off back then but even still the album was compelling to me.

However, seeing them play live dashed my whole notion of them. I thought they would be more relaxed, experimental, etc. I lost interest in their album and their career soon after that.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth