Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.24.2013, 05:57 PM   #1081
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I believe Consequence could've helped with some early stuff. But I feel like as Kanye progressed his own sound really came out. It becomes more obvious that you're hearing him. Maybe that's why I think each album is better than the one before it.
Old 10.24.2013, 08:26 PM   #1082
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I believe Consequence could've helped with some early stuff. But I feel like as Kanye progressed his own sound really came out. It becomes more obvious that you're hearing him. Maybe that's why I think each album is better than the one before it.

Here's what I'm thinking after more research: Kanye doesn't write his lyrics... Mostly because he just spits, like Jay-Z, who also not only bounces ideas off of others, but straight up lifts the odds phrase entirely from BIG, or from earlier incarnations of himself.

Consequence definitely helped with *ELEMENTS* of songs through MBDTF, but we're taking the most innocuous lines on the books here, like the "Will Smith and his son" bit from Champion. For most of his efforts he's credited. For some of the smaller ones, he's no... Why? Because when Ye said "that's good, can I use that?" Consequence was too stoned to give a fuck.

Kanye is certainly not trying to fuck anyone here. He credits his crew when they help with a song, but you can tell from his flow on the first here albums that he was mainly spitting off the cuff, or from memory. There's a delay in his timing that indicates that he was definitely taking the Jay-Z approach, but that he wasn't the emcee Jay was at the time (still isn't)

Rhymedfest contributed to Jesus Walks, not sure what, but so many if the songs are so particular to Kanye's own personality quirks, life story, and world view that I think Cons was trying to blow everything out of proportion by discrediting the man who sent his ass packing.

On 808's, he was going for a pop star, Prince/MJ vibe, so it makes sense that he would have writing help. But I don't believe anyone has ever written his songs for him, especially not on MBDTF, watch the throne, Cruel Summer, or Yeezus.

Also, how many rap artists can claim full ownership of every lyric in every song? Um... None. Rap writing is a different creative process than singer-songwriter shit. Emcees since the dawn of rap have been bouncing lines around with their crews. It's how the genre works.

Personally, I think Ye's lyrics are gold, but certainly not the defining trait f his music. Sometimes they're not even that good. Other times, they're perfect. But he does more for himself than just about anyone in the genre.

Also, the girl who's convinced that he's a black Britney Spears also made several comments about how he "only sings through a robot voice, I don't respect that, blah blah blah" which was never true entirely, and suggests that her knowledge of Kanye is dated and limited to pop culture cliche Cleveland show jokes about him.

Anyone with more info please speak up.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2013, 04:14 AM   #1083
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
btw as far as i rememeber, Cons was beefing with Kanye when he said that.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2013, 09:47 AM   #1084
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Here's what I'm thinking after more research: Kanye doesn't write his lyrics...

This should concern you more than it seems to.

Quote:

He credits his crew when they help with a song, but you can tell from his flow on the first here albums that he was mainly spitting off the cuff, or from memory.

He did do that, yes, in the liner notes, even on Yeezus.

Quote:

On 808's, he was going for a pop star, Prince/MJ vibe, so it makes sense that he would have writing help. But I don't believe anyone has ever written his songs for him, especially not on MBDTF, watch the throne, Cruel Summer, or Yeezus.

Quote:

Also, how many rap artists can claim full ownership of every lyric in every song?

Not every song, true, doing the same research as you it seems Kanye has a lot more ghostwriters than usual.

Quote:
Rap writing is a different creative process than singer-songwriter shit. Emcees since the dawn of rap have been bouncing lines around with their crews. It's how the genre works.

That is not true, plenty of MCs and rappers free-style all their own material. How did Tupac fill up 48 hours of unreleased studio tapes during the All Eyez on Me recording sessions? Free-styling and rapping note versions like crazy on tape, even acappella. Its how all those Makaveli tapes and remixes came out. You're right, rap and hip-hop are created through a different kind of process, but I don't think its fair in your Kanye Apologist posts to suddenly throw all of rap music under the "they don't write their own shit" bus in order to legitimize Kanye doing it. If Kanye does it extensively, that is his thing, whatever, but lets not discredit all of rap and hip-hop along the way.

Quote:

Anyone with more info please speak up.

Agreed, there is a lot we don't know, more than we do, but just looking at Kanye's credits and album liner notes, its clear he gives A LOT of credit to A LOT of writers. Usually in rap, this is the credit you give to OTHER rappers who also appeared on your track, but for Kanye it seems there is more to this than just that.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2013, 05:50 PM   #1085
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
speaking of Cons, y'all have Tribe Called Quence? That album is dope.

This might an unpopular thing to say, but I think College Dropout is a pretty mediocre album. I've always *liked* it since I heard "Through The Wire," back in the day. And I LOVE "Two Words," but it's just so... "just ok" sounding to me.

Late Registration is better. "Drive Slow" is insane. "Everything I Am" is great - and it's funny cuz you could hear Common spitting on that. But again, a lot of it just sounds like a *good* rapper's album.

Graduation is where shit got great. I love that record. Ye exploring like french techno and all. It just feels like that's the beginning for me - where he really starts getting into his own exploring the potential of music and not just dusty loops.

808s is a beast. What an insane record. "Amazing" is probably my hands down fav Kanye track.

MBDTF is of course incredible.

Throne is near-perfect.

Cruel Summer is great, but a little too messy. "Mercy" was my fav single of that year. There's so much great stuff, but eh, filler as well.

Yeezus is 10/10.
Old 10.26.2013, 05:37 AM   #1086
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
new Avril album leaked. i love the first two albums and a bunch of songs off the third and fourth albums. let's hear.
Old 10.26.2013, 08:47 AM   #1087
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
new Avril album leaked. i love the first two albums and a bunch of songs off the third and fourth albums. let's hear.

she's awesome.
Old 10.26.2013, 09:40 AM   #1088
louder
invito al cielo

in case you wondered, my fav albums of the year (although it isn't over yet):

1. Kanye West - Yeezus
2. A$AP Rocky - Long.Live.A$AP
3. My Bloody Valentine - MBV
4. Iceage - You're Nothing
5. Chance the Rapper - Acid Rap
6. Lorde - Pure Heroine
7. John Legend - Love in the Future
8. Danny Brown - Old
9. Pusha T - My Name Is My Name
10. Denzel Curry - Nostalgic 64
Old 10.26.2013, 01:32 PM   #1089
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
1. Kanye West - Yeezus
2. A$AP Rocky - Long.Live.A$AP

these are my top 2, just not sure in which order yet. The other 8 TBA.
Old 10.27.2013, 06:27 AM   #1090
louder
invito al cielo

Ab-Soul's album "Control System" is still amazing

listening to it when i'm in the right mood is such a mindfuck
Old 10.30.2013, 12:27 PM   #1091
louder
invito al cielo

MMLP2 leaked

this is seriously the worst Em album to date, even worse than Recovery

god even the track with Kendrick is horrible

and this is coming from a guy who has enjoyed SSLP, MMLP, TES, Relapse, even some of Encore
Old 10.30.2013, 12:29 PM   #1092
louder
invito al cielo

this album is like everything that is wrong with Eminem
Old 10.30.2013, 01:08 PM   #1093
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone digging on the latest macklemore video?
Old 10.30.2013, 01:09 PM   #1094
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
It's good on hash candy. mmm hash candy
Old 10.30.2013, 01:10 PM   #1095
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Anyone digging on the latest macklemore video?
link?
Old 10.30.2013, 01:11 PM   #1096
louder
invito al cielo

Em just dropped the worst album of the year

maybe of all time

you guys should listen to it, just for the laughs
Old 10.30.2013, 06:53 PM   #1097
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
There’s no way Kim Kardashian shouldn’t be on the cover of Vogue. She’s like the most intriguing woman right now. She’s got Barbara Walters calling her like everyday … and collectively we’re the most influential with clothing. No one is looking at what [President] Obama is wearing. Michelle Obama cannot Instagram a [bikini] pic like what my girl Instagrammed the other day … so it’s to say when we are there and [editor-in-chief of French Vogue] Carine Roitfeld supports my girl, that’s a breakthrough … there’s a wall of classism that we are breaking through.”

Meh. A wall of classism? For the fucking Kardashians? ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS BRO??

(a) its not like she hasn't been on plenty of other magazine covers before and (b) dude, seriously, enough with the shameless egomania, we get it, you worship yourself and think by default we should worship everything about you, but Kanye, you are not the center of life in America or this world, even rap music for that matter. GET OVER IT MY NINJA, SERIOUSLY!

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...ecent-comments

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2013, 06:42 AM   #1098
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
MMLP2 leaked

this is seriously the worst Em album to date, even worse than Recovery

god even the track with Kendrick is horrible

and this is coming from a guy who has enjoyed SSLP, MMLP, TES, Relapse, even some of Encore

Encore was MUCH less embarrassing than those awful look at me I'm a drug addict sorry no I'm not yes I am no I'm God! piece of shit albums from the last ten years.

I knew it would suck. I just hope everyone knows it sucks. It's time for Eminem to go away forever as an artist.

I think he'd be a great celebrity golfer. That should be his next move. Raise some money fo' da mile.
Old 10.31.2013, 06:48 AM   #1099
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Meh. A wall of classism? For the fucking Kardashians? ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS BRO??

(a) its not like she hasn't been on plenty of other magazine covers before and (b) dude, seriously, enough with the shameless egomania, we get it, you worship yourself and think by default we should worship everything about you, but Kanye, you are not the center of life in America or this world, even rap music for that matter. GET OVER IT MY NINJA, SERIOUSLY!

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...ecent-comments

Ok, even I'll admit, this is some painfully embarrassing shit right here.

Dear God Kanye,
Please just make music and don't say much until you get your meth habit under control and learn to temper your need to alleviate guilt/self-hatred by having sex with awful creatures.

Thank you
Old 10.31.2013, 06:58 AM   #1100
louder
invito al cielo

Kanye keeps making it harder and harder for me to defend him, as a fan.
45525354 55 56575865 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth