Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Favourite song on R.R. poll
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.10.2006, 05:42 PM   #41
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
I really like Pink Steam, Rats, Incinerate and Jams Run Free.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2006, 05:43 PM   #42
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
a little about my rationale:
it could have been one of their best records ever if they would have followed a different tracklist & eliminated James run free (perhaps) & what a waste (the opening strains & bridge guitar line are indeed saccharine just like i understood coco's implication...obliquely so, but like the Friends theme in that sense...abysmal production for the most part too; the track's only saving grace is that it's tremendously upbeat for Sonic Youth & Kim's vocals ring wonderfully true) & included Helen Lundeberg instead...after Pink Steam, listeners are rapt for anything T throws at them, so either Helen or Or should follow it.

ecstatic peace is just a (Rather presumptious) name to fill in for the sake of doing so, but it sort of goes along with the idea of "rapture" & the song could have been a long instrumental that reprised musical parts from do you believe in rapture at times...it might have also served as a way to talk about the Ecstatic Peace label when discussing the album with the media.

the rats/turquoise boy bloc (best part of the album) is preserved & leads it all off, foolowed out by Pink Steam delivering the knock-out punch of total submission (an album started of by a lee track would alert everyone that this was going to be a very different sort of sy album too)...the sonic bassfunk is still a way for kim to rock on an opener....although all-in-all reena is still a good opener, it just bangs you over the head too quickly) ...reena would be mid-cd & start off hypothetical lp side 2 & the reena/incinerate transition is also preserved...also, the theme of sleepin' around which would end side 1, goes along well with Reena which would begin side 2...

this might've been interesting or it might be horrible (& annoying to boot), but

alt tracklist

Rats
Turquoise Boy
Pink Steam
Helen Lundeberg
Or
Sleepin' Around

Reena
Incinerate
The Neutral
Do You Believe in Rapture?
Ecstatic Peace*
Lights Out

(Do You Believe in Rapture would have slightly less fade out & Ecstatic Peace is a click-track without pause between songs & resumes with the same drum beat & sound from the final outro of rapture & then launches into an extended instrumental ala Rain on Tin or the music from The Dripping Dream, but with parts reprised from do you believe in rapture like what they did on syr 2 with ineffable me & snare, girl from atl... jams run free could be added to side 1 if the time demanded it, but what a waste should be gone)
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2006, 06:59 PM   #43
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
the intro to Pink Steam...whoa! & then the guitar part that adds such a feel along with the rhythm of the lyrics...& Thurston is one of the very few artists that can write about L-O-V-E sincerely & also unabashedly sexually at the same time, clearly establishing the feel on the spiritual plane of it all.

be prepared, becuz the next sy album is gonna be one of their greatest

when i first heard lights out, i was like, "this shit is strange for an sy album...what the fuck is this?" but now i see it as a great song & it would make the best closer ... even with the obvious pun...

speaking of those
(obvious puns)
what a waste is indeed a waste & "a spectacular dud" to quote a lyric...meant to serve as filler?...heaven forbid, on an sy release...

back to:
Lights Out

that song has a quasi-resonance with Little Trouble Girl as such a masterstroke musically (if only it was the closer) .... it's sparse on yr typical sy sounds, but it is genuinely haunting & that says a lot for a song called "Lights Out"////.,l!
Old 06.11.2006, 02:59 AM   #44
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I don't get Rats. Sorry.
ZEROpumpkins is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2006, 03:47 AM   #45
SubSonicPumpAction
little trouble girl

SubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's asses
Acutally that's hard because it's probably one of the Kim songs and that's never the case. Kim's songs are the best on that record and in my opinion thruston's aren't as great as his previous. Rats is great. But I think Jams Run Free is my favorite.
SubSonicPumpAction is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2006, 04:29 AM   #46
Come_Smash_Me
empty page

Come_Smash_Me ain't too shabby
isnt it surely just incinerate ?? i am fairly sure this is the catchiest song .. pretty much ever . great hook baby .... oh yeh ! also ... what is wrong with do you believe in rapture ?? it has great vocals , and is also very orginal . overall , the whole album works very well toghether ...
Come_Smash_Me is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2006, 09:54 AM   #47
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
jams run free, PINK STEAM, eyeliner at the moment
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2006, 09:57 AM   #48
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
TOUGH CALL

rats
sleepin around
jams run free
eyeliner
Old 06.12.2006, 04:24 PM   #49
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
I can undertsand why some people dont like this record, but i dont think its that bad. There are some great songs on it. My favorites so far are incinerate, sleepin around,rats, torquise boy and what a waste. I hate that last track "or" though, its so boring.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2006, 04:33 PM   #50
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
I can undertsand why some people dont like this record, but i dont think its that bad. There are some great songs on it. My favorites so far are incinerate, sleepin around,rats, torquise boy and what a waste. I hate that last track "or" though, its so boring.

Come on, Tim. It's not that bad. Or is a little bit too slow, but it's not really boring.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2006, 04:35 PM   #51
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Besides, the whole album is still a little underrealized. It's juts not as good as the rest of SY's work.

Old 06.12.2006, 05:40 PM   #52
atari 2600
invito al cielo

good grief...Maybe I'm spoiled, but Helen Lundeberg from the solo-T Flywheel is better than the 7" version/uk R.R. by a mile.

Reena, Rats, Pink Steam, Turquoise Boy, Sleepin' Around, Lights Out & Do You Believe in Rapture? are all good-to-excellent.
Incinerate, The Neutral, Or & Jams Run Free are okay. The one that stands out as "a spectacular dud" is What A Waste.

For me, it's tough to really criticize an album too much that, after all, is mostly comprised of really good songs.
Old 06.13.2006, 09:58 AM   #53
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Jams run free.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 10:00 AM   #54
tread
empty page

tread ain't too shabby
Jams Run Free!
tread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 10:11 AM   #55
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
What a Waste. For now at least--bound to change.

Also like Incinerate quite a bit and Pink Steam. Probably the only track I don't much care for is Or.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2006, 09:48 PM   #56
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSonicPumpAction
Acutally that's hard because it's probably one of the Kim songs and that's never the case. Kim's songs are the best on that record and in my opinion thruston's aren't as great as his previous. Rats is great. But I think Jams Run Free is my favorite.

I agree that Kim's songs are the strongest on the record. Thurston is not in top form and Lee's lyrics are kinda strange but still prove to be fruitful.

Old 06.13.2006, 10:30 PM   #57
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
reena -> incinerate-> jams run free -> rats

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth