Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Reno show on July 4 with set list
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.05.2006, 06:00 PM   #1
mrobison13
empty page

mrobison13 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Thurston was very talkative at the Reno show. He was positively giddy. He talked about eating Vietnamese food at a restaurant called Golden Flower, which some street hippy tipped him off to. He went bowling with Coco, and generally was all smiles. My companions questioned whether he was on something because he fell down once and seemed to goof up pretty good on "Do You Believe in Rapture?"

The show included two encores. See the set list below. Here's a link to the review in the local paper (by me). Be sure to click on it to see what obscure '80s hardcore band Thurston dedicated "Tom Violence" to.

Set list:

Incinerate
Reena
Schizophrenia
Mote
Do You Believe in Rapture?
What a Waste
Sleepin’ Around
Torqouise Boy
Catholic Block
Rats
Kool Thing
Pink Steam
Or
--- Encore
Jams Run Free
100%
--- Second encore
Tom Violence
Shaking Hell
mrobison13 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 06:22 PM   #2
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
sounds like it was a pretty good show. my friend and i almost considered driving to Reno after the Sac show on monday night to see it, but ended up not doing that for several reasons.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 06:40 PM   #3
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Awesome second encore.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 07:31 PM   #4
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Looks like they're phasing out the Rather Ripped material to make room for more 'oldies' (unfortunately, mostly the same 'oldies' they've exhausted for the past 6 years -- 100%, TV, Schizo, Kool Thing). I really liked that they were playing the whole new record and a handful of less prominently played 'oldies' (Shaking Hell, Expressway), but hopefully if this is their plan for the rest of the tour they'll include some 'new' oldies...

(Or, to be fair, they may have figured a rare appearance in Nevada deserved less 'new' material, I haven't been keeping close tabs on the RR content of the past few sets).
Chris Lawrence is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 08:03 PM   #5
matt reeder
little trouble girl

matt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's asses
I count 10 RR songs in that setlist.
matt reeder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 11:05 PM   #6
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for posting.
Old 07.05.2006, 11:28 PM   #7
IvanZero
empty page

IvanZero has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Good review, Mark, and thanks for posting the set list. I was too tranced out on feedback to keep accurate track. Really was a great show, even with such a low-energy crowd.

I was just so stoked to hear "Tom Violence". I was hoping they'd play something from Evol, that being the album that hooked me on them those few short years ago when it came out. The new songs were just amazing live, they're really getting some muscle on them from being played all tour.

Much better experience than last time they were here, in '91, with Neil Young. The bad acoustics at Lawlor Events Center and the less-than-friendly classic rawk crowd impatient for Neil ... I spect we're lucky they came back at all. Thurston didn't seem to too fondly recall "that other place we played last time".

Slight correction to your post - he said they'd gone downtown to Pho 777, but it was too crowded and the hostess hipped them to Golden Flower. Then they stopped off next door at Hippies, Pipes and Incense. Sonic Youth wandering around 2nd st ... wow.

Even more "wow" was walking across the vast floor at the Hilton, looking over and suddenly realizing that Kim Gordon was 3 feet away heading for the elevators.

All in all, a great show. We got them as headliners, and Vegas has to settle for them opening for Pearl Jam.
IvanZero is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 11:28 PM   #8
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt reeder
I count 10 RR songs in that setlist.

Fine job. I count all 12 in all of the preceding set lists. Would much rather hear 'The Neutral' than 'Kool Thing' or a molasses-speed '100%' for the zillionth time.
Chris Lawrence is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 02:02 AM   #9
sonicnoise
empty page

sonicnoise has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
This was a great show! I'm glad the usual drunken mosh crowd I mentioned in another post didn't show up. The small crowd was pretty enthusiatic. This was the closest to the stage I've ever been at a Sonic Youth show. I was right in front of Lee. As a result, I didn't record the show like I usually would have because it would have been nothing but Lee's amp. DID ANYONE RECORD THIS??? Let me know, please. I hope they were not disappointed with the turnout. We got silkscren posters!!! How cool is that!
sonicnoise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 02:31 PM   #10
IvanZero
empty page

IvanZero has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I'll bet the drunken moshers were all out at the fireworks. I'm convinced that's also the reason we didn't have all the "I'm bored, let's go do something" types who tend to show up.
IvanZero is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 04:54 PM   #11
SugarLips
little trouble girl

SugarLips ain't too shabby
Thank you for the review!!!
Yes the show was great !!! I loved the stage setup I'll have pictures to share soon..the back drop was nice with the images they were flashing.

He was being very funny, he asked about the stage floor it was some type of rubber material, which would explain why the stumbles and asked with a laugh what kinds of shows is this for, then made reference to a local risky girlie show called "BareBack" which may include waterworks

At one point I thought Lee was going to fall on us and Thurston jumped down into the crowd and played for a while.... it was a fun crowd of people from all over. I talked to so many nice fans at this show. Was worth the 6 hours drive up to see it.. got to see Lee before the show and say hi to him and we got a set list..

I'm going to MGM tonight, can't wait to see what the set will be like as an opener.

SugarLips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 04:57 PM   #12
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
Fine job. I count all 12 in all of the preceding set lists. Would much rather hear 'The Neutral' than 'Kool Thing' or a molasses-speed '100%' for the zillionth time.

I couldn't agree more, 'the neutral' has grown to be one of my fav. songs on the new album. its rather simplistic, melodic and thurston's 4 chord guitar progression is very pretty (though i think his part is mixed down abit as lee's part (left channel) seems to be louder to me on the album)... the live version from Englewood sounds nice, minus the obvious yet minor timing screwups between certain sections.

gonna see them twice this tour it be nice to hear some older less prominent live songs also! preferably older material, but its tough for them i think the main reason they play certain songs over and over is because they try to use the most common guitar tunings in their arsenal that are used in the most songs. they still tour with a guitar army, though if i'm not mistaken i'm willing to guess that they haul less guitars now than they did say 10-15 years ago... did the infamous theft of 1999 have any change in how much they are willing to bring w/ them on tour?
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 05:18 PM   #13
SugarLips
little trouble girl

SugarLips ain't too shabby
I wonder if they may be limiting the older stuff and slowly adding as they move along because they have Mark on bass, how many songs could he up on. I don't know if they'd already played Mote at other shows on the tour, but I heard them playing around with it after the sound check at the Dallas show so I was happy to see it.

Just a thought I'm sure Mark can learn anything just don't know how long they've had him jamming with them prior to the tour.

I want to hear Wish Fulfillment and NYCG&F, Sunday, and hell all their songs..I hope they'll someday do a tour and play it all..I'm dreaming!!

SugarLips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 05:21 PM   #14
matt reeder
little trouble girl

matt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's assesmatt reeder kicks all y'all's asses
I think that's a good point. With the amount of tunings they play in, I think they want to keep a show's momentum going, and so they don't feel like switching guitars between every song. Some songs tend to be favored because it doesn't require as much coordination.

I was very happy to hear all 12 RR songs when I saw them, but I would have been happy to hear pretty much anything.
matt reeder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2006, 12:17 PM   #15
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for info.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.07.2006, 12:51 PM   #16
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
cheers for the info. classic, glad you had a good
nite
Old 07.12.2006, 06:00 PM   #17
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
I was there and they rocked thehouse it was so worth the drive there.
Old 03.29.2013, 09:55 PM   #18
Gerrystumbaugh
little trouble girl

Gerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's asses
does anyone happen to have a recording of this show? I was just in Reno for the first time since the gig...it was a pretty special show for me....my wife and I got engaged at this show.
Gerrystumbaugh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth