Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page anyone going to atp vs the fans? . . . .
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.10.2007, 05:38 AM   #1
farmhouse
bad moon rising

farmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's asses
. . . . if so, who are you excited about seeing? . . . and who would you recommend to the uninitiated and ignorant? . . .

these are the bands confirmed to play:
65daysofstatic
Akron Family
Alexander Tucker
Annuals
Apples In Stereo
Architecture In Helsinki
Band of Horses
Bat For Lashes
Battles
Brightblack Morning Light
Built To Spill
Capricorns
Clinic
Cornelius
Current 93
Daniel Johnston
Death Vessel
Do Make Say Think
Echo and the Bunnymen
Edan + MC Dagha
Explosions in the Sky
Ghost
Grizzly Bear
Isis
Les Savy Fav
Micah P. Hinson
Modest Mouse
Mogwai
Okkervil River
Patti Smith
Shellac
Slint
Sparklehorse
Subtle
The Books
The Go! Team
The Notwist
The Thermals
Trans Am
Two Gallants
Wilco
Yo La Tengo
Youth Movie Soundtrack Strategies

Personal musts are slint, shellac, do make say think, explosions in the sky, trans am, battles, patti smith, daniel johnston . . . .
farmhouse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2007, 05:47 AM   #2
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not going, but if I was I'd try to make sure that I saw:

65daysofstatic
Akron Family
Alexander Tucker
Battles
Capricorns
Current 93
Explosions in the Sky
Ghost
Mogwai
Patti Smith
Shellac
Slint
Subtle
Wilco
Yo La Tengo
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2007, 06:03 AM   #3
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
^add Isis to your list and then weŽd have the same "operating schedule"
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2007, 07:29 AM   #4
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Ugh, I think "the fans" have poor taste to be honest. Pretty boring lineup.
The only one I'm curious about seeing that's not playing near me one of these days anyway (Ghost, Shellac, Slint) is Cornelius.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2007, 12:13 PM   #5
farmhouse
bad moon rising

farmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Ugh, I think "the fans" have poor taste to be honest. Pretty boring lineup.
The only one I'm curious about seeing that's not playing near me one of these days anyway (Ghost, Shellac, Slint) is Cornelius.

first off . . . sorry for not posting this in the non-sonic sounds section.

secondly . . . thanks for the replies . . . .

third . . . i agree. it aint the best line-up ever. seems to be quite a lame-ass hippy contingent lurking in there.

fourth . .ly . . . . what are cornelius about and why should i be bothered about this band??? . . .

yes. Isis shall be observed.

yes. i dig that battles shit from what i've heard . . .

.. . . and, . . . what will you say about ghost??? . . . that will interest me and force my face towards their sound???? japs aint they?
Old 05.13.2007, 06:29 AM   #6
farmhouse
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie
just go and see Ghost. they are one of the best bands I have ever, ever seen.

They are indeed Japanese.

As is Cornelius I believe, I think its a solo noise thing? Or am I thinking of someone else?

hey, thanks. i shall certainly do just that.
Old 05.14.2007, 08:58 AM   #7
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Cornelius isn't really a noise musician, he's got more in common with Pizzicato Five than with Merzbow. He uses lots of pop samples and electronic sounds, kind of like a japanese Beck, but more interesting perhaps. Anyway, I saw he's playing Amsterdam as well, although I'm not sure yet if I'll go. Ghost are very good live indeed.

My point wasn't so much that they're all crap bands, but more that I don't understand why the fans are picking so much standard bands that are already touring regularly anyway. I mean it's not like Wilco or Mogwai rarely play in the UK or something. It's the one ATP where the fans can have their opinions heard yet it's the one ATP that looks more ordinary than most other ATPs. Missed opportunity.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2007, 10:13 AM   #8
farmhouse
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Cornelius isn't really a noise musician, he's got more in common with Pizzicato Five than with Merzbow. He uses lots of pop samples and electronic sounds, kind of like a japanese Beck, but more interesting perhaps. Anyway, I saw he's playing Amsterdam as well, although I'm not sure yet if I'll go. Ghost are very good live indeed.

My point wasn't so much that they're all crap bands, but more that I don't understand why the fans are picking so much standard bands that are already touring regularly anyway. I mean it's not like Wilco or Mogwai rarely play in the UK or something. It's the one ATP where the fans can have their opinions heard yet it's the one ATP that looks more ordinary than most other ATPs. Missed opportunity.

yeah well . . . y'see . . .it's a vote kinda thing aint it where the majority rules. I think it was always going to be a pop-atp because it is voted for rather than curated by one person or one band . . . so you get this kind of naff popular list . . . and all the good bands (that is, the less popular) remain at the bottom of the pile. Yes, i agree, quite disappointing really.

But I have now listened to some Cornelius and I rather bloody like it . . . so thanks for that tip.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth