Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What are you playing?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.14.2011, 09:38 PM   #4521
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses

Really fucking good. This will tide me off until Battlefield comes out in like a week and a half.
Old 10.15.2011, 07:44 AM   #4522
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
lol. it gets good reviews cause it's a hardass game. And also the gameplay, which is a reason why it's so hard, since you don't run around mashing onek button to attack without negative consequences. Dark Souls makes you think more and be cautious. Most games you can die and restart from a check point or sometimes even at the same spot you died, but not this game. This game teaches you a lesson by making you repeat hte WHOLE level over and over again. Enemies are relentless in their attacks, they want you dead and you can sense it. I think that is why it gets good reviews.

I have yet own a copy of the game, but I played at a friends hosue on his 360 and it plays almost the same as Demon's Souls.

I don't see the appeal, frankly. It made the experience feel incredibly dull and monotonous. Keep killing the same weaker creatures repeatedly until you've levelled up enough to be able to kill the same stronger creatures repeatedly until you've levelled up enough to be able to kill the even stronger creatures etc, ad nauseam, to progress. Plus you need to kill legions of creatures to buy weapons, armour, items etc.

The fact I found the controls to be clunky, the camera angles poor and the graphics resembling Resident Evil 4's, made me seriously think it has to be one of the most overrated games of all time. It's laughable it's main selling point is you'll die a lot because it's hard. Yeah, like that doesn't happen in other games. Thank God Batman: Arkham City and Skyrim are out soon.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 10:36 AM   #4523
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
I don't see the appeal, frankly. It made the experience feel incredibly dull and monotonous. Keep killing the same weaker creatures repeatedly until you've levelled up enough to be able to kill the same stronger creatures repeatedly until you've levelled up enough to be able to kill the even stronger creatures etc, ad nauseam, to progress. Plus you need to kill legions of creatures to buy weapons, armour, items etc.

The fact I found the controls to be clunky, the camera angles poor and the graphics resembling Resident Evil 4's, made me seriously think it has to be one of the most overrated games of all time. It's laughable it's main selling point is you'll die a lot because it's hard. Yeah, like that doesn't happen in other games. Thank God Batman: Arkham City and Skyrim are out soon.

clearly you're trolling. You haven't played enough. This isn't a game where you grind for levels....You are able to if you want to....but not necessary. Also buying armor and weapons is a waste of resources because they drop all the fucking time.

as for the controls...well... They CAN be a bit clunky, but only with the movement, other than that, I think the controls are fine. I think you're just impatient. They are naturally slow, you're character isn't some super human who sprints to every location. the controls are designed around the game, not the other way around. Sorry it doesn't cater to yer tastes.
It looks like you want to mindlessly press two buttons while rushing through a game...liek Batman. In fact...Arkham Asylum, to me, was a bit overrated. The gameplay was boring and reaped little reward. I seriously didn't like the fighting: ATTACK!, ATTACK!, COUNTER!, ATTACK, COUNTER, COUNTER, ATTACK! Too formulaic.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 04:23 PM   #4524
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Almost finished w/ Clock Tower (PSX), struggling through Devil May Cry (PS2), and pretty much forgot my intentions to beat Chrono Trigger (SNES) again (sorry Crono... you know I love you - I shall return soon); but I've recently started a game in my newly acquired copy of Parasite Eve (PSX).

This game is fantastic! I only had faint memories of my cousin and I renting this when I was about 7 or 8, and really could only recall the infamous rat transformation scene near the beginning...

This part creeped the hell out of me at that age, and I never forgot about it.

This game also packs one hell of a cool battle system. I love being able to physically dodge my enemies' attacks! Very innovative, I've never seen anything quite like this before (it plays differently than most action-rpg's).

Also, it's a Squaresoft survival-horror-esque RPG set in NYC '98... how could I not love this?
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 05:05 PM   #4525
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I just threw a blurb about Hyperdimension Neptunia on my blog...

rfgeneration.com/blogs/noiseredux
Old 10.15.2011, 07:09 PM   #4526
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Fucking tasteless, but just played this game called Utöya ultrakill..
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 10:44 PM   #4527
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Parasite Eve rocks. I played through a bunch of it a couple of years ago but for some reason never finished it. I think I was on Day 6 or 7 when I quit, pretty close to the end. I've forgotten quite a bit of the game but I remember having some good laughs while playing it. It's really typically convoluted in it's exposition about how everything works and why it works that way. I liked the character progression system quite a bit, though I always felt like I wasted those bonus points that you spend into ammo capacity or whatever. Great game, better than Resident Evil I think.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 11:33 PM   #4528
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm yeah I remember wanting to try Parasite Eve onPSX when I owned one. Looks pretty cool.

Right now I'm playing "Finish the 2nd half of your 15 page paper before 8am(or sometime before sunday afternoon) tomorrow or else you can't go to Melt Banana"
Old 10.15.2011, 11:57 PM   #4529
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hmm yeah I remember wanting to try Parasite Eve onPSX when I owned one. Looks pretty cool.

Right now I'm playing "Finish the 2nd half of your 15 page paper before 8am(or sometime before sunday afternoon) tomorrow or else you can't go to Melt Banana"

Sigh, a game played too many times my friend.

Old 10.16.2011, 01:38 AM   #4530
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Parasite Eve rocks. I played through a bunch of it a couple of years ago but for some reason never finished it. I think I was on Day 6 or 7 when I quit, pretty close to the end. I've forgotten quite a bit of the game but I remember having some good laughs while playing it. It's really typically convoluted in it's exposition about how everything works and why it works that way. I liked the character progression system quite a bit, though I always felt like I wasted those bonus points that you spend into ammo capacity or whatever. Great game, better than Resident Evil I think.

Yeah, I'm only on Day 2 so far, but I think I may need to start over again already. My inventory is too full, and because of the point in the story line I'm at, I can't go back and store items w/ the weapons clerk at the police station.

Deciding what to keep, not keep, or even take with you is kinda confusing, I keep wanting to hold onto nearly everything like in a JRPG - but you only get 17 inventory slots (where even multiples take up their own slot) and have to therefore treat it like a survival horror title.
Old 10.16.2011, 01:47 AM   #4531
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I just threw a blurb about Hyperdimension Neptunia on my blog...

rfgeneration.com/blogs/noiseredux

Sounds neat. I don't know exactly how I'd feel about selecting from a chapter list rather than exploring a world though... sounds more distracting from the story than funny to me.
Old 10.16.2011, 02:37 AM   #4532
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Old 10.16.2011, 03:28 PM   #4533
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Sweet Home is the Famicom game that inspired Resident Evil. There's an English translation patch now. It's pretty awesome. Imagine RE as an 8bit RPG!
Old 10.16.2011, 03:56 PM   #4534
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

Sweet Home is the Famicom game that inspired Resident Evil. There's an English translation patch now. It's pretty awesome. Imagine RE as an 8bit RPG!

if you would've told me this 10 years ago I would've been like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

but times have changed and it in fact sounds better!
(and I luv me some RE2)
Old 10.16.2011, 03:58 PM   #4535
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Which actually raises a question....has anyone ever beat RE1? I had directors cut, but holy fuck was that shit hard. I have the GC one....but I'm too scared to play it. (Also RE:Zero totally did not turn me on while playing, in fact it made me hate the RE games)
Old 10.16.2011, 08:31 PM   #4536
noisereductions
invito al cielo

never beat RE1. I've owned the PS1 version back then. And still. And the GCN remake. But it's so hard.
Old 10.16.2011, 11:08 PM   #4537
Count Mecha
100%

There's definitely a vast difference in difficulty between RE1 and RE2 I feel. I never beat RE1 either. I think I got stuck or bored in that lab when you try to hack the computer or whatever but you don't know the password, never got past there. Whereas in RE2, I beat that game without trying really. The only hard parts I remember were the (alligator was it?) in the sewer, and the boss at the end. I seem to recall a giant spider, but can't remember which game it was from, probably both.

Old 10.16.2011, 11:25 PM   #4538
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha
There's definitely a vast difference in difficulty between RE1 and RE2 I feel. I never beat RE1 either. I think I got stuck or bored in that lab when you try to hack the computer or whatever but you don't know the password, never got past there. Whereas in RE2, I beat that game without trying really. The only hard parts I remember were the (alligator was it?) in the sewer, and the boss at the end. I seem to recall a giant spider, but can't remember which game it was from, probably both.

re2 begins more linear. I'm a bit durnk right now to post more after melt banana. I'm goin' tos leep.
Old 10.17.2011, 07:31 AM   #4539
noisereductions
invito al cielo

yeah RE1 is so open and full of backtracking. Do'nt get me wrong, I love hte game. It holds a special piece of nostalgia for me. But I also tend to play like RE4 way more often.
Old 10.17.2011, 08:48 AM   #4540
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
clearly you're trolling. You haven't played enough. This isn't a game where you grind for levels....You are able to if you want to....but not necessary. Also buying armor and weapons is a waste of resources because they drop all the fucking time.

as for the controls...well... They CAN be a bit clunky, but only with the movement, other than that, I think the controls are fine. I think you're just impatient. They are naturally slow, you're character isn't some super human who sprints to every location. the controls are designed around the game, not the other way around. Sorry it doesn't cater to yer tastes.
It looks like you want to mindlessly press two buttons while rushing through a game...liek Batman. In fact...Arkham Asylum, to me, was a bit overrated. The gameplay was boring and reaped little reward. I seriously didn't like the fighting: ATTACK!, ATTACK!, COUNTER!, ATTACK, COUNTER, COUNTER, ATTACK! Too formulaic.

I've played enough of Dark Souls to know it falls well short of the hyperbole heaped on it by the predictably inconsistent, hypocritical, contradictory, ulterior motivated, egotistical clowns who write game reviews for the media.

How can you say it isn't a game where you grind for levels? It's the type of game that makes it a given you grind for levels. It plays like an old-school RPG with graphics to match.

Mostly the weapons/armour the creatures occasionally drop doesn't match up to the weapons/armour you can buy. Plus you can buy keys which gives you access to parts of a section blocked by a locked door.

The controls are clunky and infuriatingly slow on occasion in response to button presses.

I understand the character isn't some super human at the start of the game, hence the reason for the need to grind for levels to make the character as near super human as possible to make life easier for the player on the later levels. That's the whole point of an RPG. Unfortunately for Dark Souls it's been executed very poorly.

I had to laugh at your contradictory argument that I only want to mindlessy press two buttons whilst rushing through a game. That's what you're pretty much doing when playing Dark Souls. In fact your critique on Batman: Arkham Asylum can easily be used on Dark Souls. The difference between the two is Batman: Arkham Asylum's game mechanics is leagues ahead of Dark Souls in it's execution, plus it's an absolute joy to play.

Your fanboyish defence of the mediocre title is lol-worthy.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
177217224225226 227 228229230237277 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth