Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Nirvana Thingy
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.06.2008, 09:56 AM   #21
luisxvi
bad moon rising

luisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's assesluisxvi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i pity radiohead and smashing pumpkins fans

I would not waste my pity on them.
Old 06.06.2008, 10:06 AM   #22
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I pity more young people who are still worrying too much about Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Dinosaur Jr, Radiohead etc when there are so many younger good rock bands putting out records right now. It's not like you shouldn't listen and love the music of whatever band you decide to make your own, it's just that if I was that age I'd prefer to have some peers playing the sort of music I like in a way that I felt was cool and relevant to my present existence.

i've made this point several times ever since i joined here; thanks for expressing it in a very concise manner.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 10:21 AM   #23
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i like bleach a whole lot.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 10:31 AM   #24
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
i was at that important record buying time when nirvana went bang.. in the non literal sense....

i was about 14 when i first heard daydream nation... loved it......changed my view on music period, i actually skipped the traditional irish way of growing up with metal and went straight to indie guitar swing.. anyhoo.. that was immediatly followed up by surfer rosa and probably something less excellent.... like bug or green mind....

shortly afterwards a mate gave me a copy of bleach, i thought it was ok, no more no less, actually negative creep i thought was genius (this is still the same opinion of this album i hold today) . i knew about nirvana through sy eternal ranting about them and by kurt wearing goo shirts etc, (another sidenote... i also got into dinosaur, sebadoh, jesus lizard and others by the fact a decent band wore their shirts on the pages of the then good melody maker)

when i first heard smells like teen spirit i was like meh, its good, catchy, a bit lame to be honest and then i saw it on top of the pops and i said, right.. gues what we are gonna be talking about for the next 10 years......

the next day in school, every iron madien,m ywangwie j malnmmtdstrufjldoh, rhandy rhoades, ozzy, whitesnake, napalm death, fan in the school suddenly liked nirvana... a week ago they said they were shite and all of a sudden they were hailed as the new kings of metal... i waas like "hold on a minute there mettallers... if you like this than listen to this and this and this and this and this and this and this.... nope, they needed their power chord fix and went back to lars i am a god in my own light ulrich and the metallitica boys..... i laughed at them...

anyway i digress...... i was there (to quote james murphy) when nirvana exploded internationally and they were fucking faboulous at the time.... in utero was their peak tho, their high point......

and now.. 17 years on from that experience whilst trying to study chemistry.... we are still talking about it..... important band !!!!!

pumpkins... they were first shite after i turned over to side 2 of gish, appalling band!
Old 06.06.2008, 10:36 AM   #25
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656

pumpkins... they were first shite after i turned over to side 2 of gish, appalling band!

That's so weird 'cause I had pretty similar experience with Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins.

Late night radio show put on a song by them that I liked so I taped it with all the other songs that I liked off the radio, then I bought the Gish album some time after and by the end of side A of that album I thought that it was shite and didn't want to have anything to do with it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 01:59 PM   #26
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbuss
You've clearly never heard Red Hot Chilli Peppers then.

ahem...

and who could forget these assholes?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 02:05 PM   #27
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
I used to be Nirvana crazed (anyone remember my Nirvana wall? ahah)

Now I never listen to them, although I still love them.

Without Nirvana I wouldn't be who I am today (it sounds lame, but it's true)

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 02:26 PM   #28
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMAh

Without Nirvana I wouldn't be who I am today (it sounds lame, but it's true)

same here. without nirvana or green day's dookie i probably wouldn't have gotten into punk rock. through green day is where i first heard the name black flag and through nirvana is where i first heard the raincoats.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 02:39 PM   #29
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
nirvana is a nice gateway band, thats about it. i mean, i got into them when i was prolly 8 yrs old, and just by reading kurt's interviews youre then gonna discover names like the wipers, the melvins, flipper, the meat pupets, black flag, sonic youth, scratch acid, half japanese, big black, flipper, the butthole surfers, husker du, the minutemen, daniel johnston, and others. every fucking one of those bands are now some of my favorites, so nirvana is an important part of my musical growth regardless of what i think of their records now. the thought of never hearing generic album, youth of america, double nickels on the dime, evol, greatest gift, damaged, sing no evil, and locust abortion technician is something id rather not have.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 03:07 PM   #30
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
and who could forget these assholes?

They remain my MOST guilty pleasure.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 03:10 PM   #31
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON
*lol* of course i heard Red hot chilli peppers and they are anoying, but Nirvana are much worse, i think!
worse than blind melon? With their one ok song and then a bunch of steaming piles of shit?

And In Utero is a masterpeice.
viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 03:20 PM   #32
el micky
little trouble girl

el micky kicks all y'all's assesel micky kicks all y'all's assesel micky kicks all y'all's assesel micky kicks all y'all's assesel micky kicks all y'all's assesel micky kicks all y'all's assesel micky kicks all y'all's assesel micky kicks all y'all's assesel micky kicks all y'all's assesel micky kicks all y'all's assesel micky kicks all y'all's asses
i think everyone has one band or artist that they just dont get. with me its neil young. i just think he has acheived his legend status by being mediocre for thirty years.
i wouldnt worry that you dont get nirvana. i mean i thought they were ace but viva la difference he?
lets all go outside and get girlfriends
Old 06.06.2008, 03:31 PM   #33
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
nirvana is a nice gateway band, thats about it. i mean, i got into them when i was prolly 8 yrs old, and just by reading kurt's interviews youre then gonna discover names like the wipers, the melvins, flipper, the meat pupets, black flag, sonic youth, scratch acid, half japanese, big black, flipper, the butthole surfers, husker du, the minutemen, daniel johnston, and others. every fucking one of those bands are now some of my favorites, so nirvana is an important part of my musical growth regardless of what i think of their records now. the thought of never hearing generic album, youth of america, double nickels on the dime, evol, greatest gift, damaged, sing no evil, and locust abortion technician is something id rather not have.
Exactly! They got me out of my punk rock rut.
viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 04:00 PM   #34
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevOK
They remain my MOST guilty pleasure.

you should feel very bad about yrself. have you seen the Happening?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 04:17 PM   #35
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
I've never liked Nevermind because too many of the songs are over-familiar from MTV; and when I first bought it, even the ones that I hadn't heard before, on the second-half of the album, seemed familiar because the song-writing is so predictable - you can guess when the chorus will come in, and what the chorus will be like, and when a noisy bit will come in, just before it happens, which makes you think you've heard it before or it's a rip off of an older song even if it isn't (same thing with Oasis). Endless, Nameless, the hidden track, is great though.

I love In Utero and Incesticide. I don't think you can judge Nirvana until you've heard those.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2008, 05:01 PM   #36
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
you don't like them?
i don't care.
Old 06.07.2008, 08:10 AM   #37
sarramkrop

[quote=batreleaser]nirvana is a nice gateway band, thats about it.

Sorry?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2008, 08:52 AM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
bleach and incesticide are good albums, if nothing special.

I think Nirvana were an important band but not great, though they had great moments (the drum beat in "Scentless Apprentice" for example -- that's GREAT!). I think they were funny and misunderstood. And yeah I think people often feel like they "have to" like them.

"Aneurysm" really is a perfect song though.

All in all, a good band, but their music doesn't really hold up well after all these years and I'm not sure why they're still being discussed so FEVERISHLY 14 years after they ended... but yeah they were good.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2008, 09:01 AM   #39
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I've always thought that Nirvana were a band at odds with Kurt Cobain's own tastes. Nothing to do with their success, but they always came across as a bit too chest-beating musically to sit easily with a lot of the bands he championed. I always thought they should've sounded more like The Pastels. Saying that, I tend to think lots of bands should sound more like The Pastels.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.07.2008, 09:19 AM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Interesting you should say that, I can completely see that. "In Utero" in particular feels forced. While I HATE this song, I think "All Apologies" (and "Dumb" which isn't too bad).. I think those are the songs he wanted to make. At the same time, I don't think he was talented enough to actually write songs like that, which is why those songs are good ideas but kind of boring and don't do anything in the long run.

I think he was expected to do these hit-potential kind of songs which are also on "In Utero" a bit ("Rape Me" -- which is pretty catchy for being so ridiculous, basically a rewrite of Teen Spirit... also see "Pennyroyal Tea")...

I think he felt he HAD TO write these noisey, pissed-off songs to appeal to his old fans who were worried he'd sold out...

Basically, I think he was just a really conflicted person in many ways. Read that book "Heavier than Heaven", it talks about him fucking turtles with pencils and how he'd do heroin and sit in his piss and shit for days. People worship this man....?!

I don't really want to just talk about Kurt, but it's almost impossible to talk about Nirvana without mentioning Kurt. I think Krist had some good basslines and there were some good drum beats. I dunno. "Marigold" was a really good song.

Pauly's rant on here is pretty funny, haha.

Regarding Pumpkins: I don't know why they got brought up, but I always liked "Zero".

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth