Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Daydream Blast First Vinyl
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.02.2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Protectmeyou
bad moon rising

Protectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's asses
well I just got the deal of the century on ebay. a mint condition (yes, unplayed) of Daydream, Blast First for $49.

a few thoughts:

- unbelievably quiet pressing, there is not a hint of surface noise on this.

- the fidelity is amazing. I'm hearing instrument seperation like never before. the tail-out of "The Sprawl" for example, the way the volumes have been mixed is really making itself apparent now.

- the slapback echo on the Thurston's vocals on "Silver Rocket". and just way the vocals sit in the mix generally. much more 'in' the music as opposed on top of it.

- there's some very weird panning , volume adjusting going on in Kissability. I'll have to check against the cd version

- only bummer: side B is slightly off centre, I'm getting a tiny bit of pitch wow/flutter. I can easily live with it though.

does anyone have both Blast First & Enigma's? how do they compare?
Protectmeyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2008, 12:05 PM   #2
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protectmeyou
well I just got the deal of the century on ebay. a mint condition (yes, unplayed) of Daydream, Blast First for $49.

a few thoughts:

- unbelievably quiet pressing, there is not a hint of surface noise on this.

- the fidelity is amazing. I'm hearing instrument seperation like never before. the tail-out of "The Sprawl" for example, the way the volumes have been mixed is really making itself apparent now.

- the slapback echo on the Thurston's vocals on "Silver Rocket". and just way the vocals sit in the mix generally. much more 'in' the music as opposed on top of it.

- only bummer: side B is slightly off centre, I'm getting a tiny bit of pitch wow/flutter. I can easily live with it though.

does anyone have both Blast First & Enigma's? how do they compare?

I have the BF/Enigma pressing, & I it sounds clear as a bell. The audio definiton is amazing, even better than the Deluxe Edition vinyl. So, I agree w/ you 100%.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Destroyed
bad moon rising

Destroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's asses
Lucky Bastards
Destroyed is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Protectmeyou
bad moon rising

Protectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's asses
just keep your eye on ebay, buy now deals. vinyls from Japan (like this one) are usually in good nick
Old 04.02.2008, 10:46 PM   #5
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
Damn.

I really need to start colelcting vinyl.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2008, 02:15 PM   #6
luckynumber9
bad moon rising

luckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard sucka
I have the Blast First version with the silver labels in NM condition. It sounds great... I doubt there is much difference between the two versions because they are both Blast First pressings. The only difference is that the US version is marketed by Enigma and the international version is not. And of course, the Enigma one has dark orange labels instead of silver.

and we looked
and we passed
through the hallway of shatterproof glass
luckynumber9 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2008, 02:27 PM   #7
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
i was listening to the cd today for the 1st time in ages. I never used to like it, but it is truly a great album! I'm so late...
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2008, 06:09 PM   #8
dressedindreams
bad moon rising

dressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant future
how does it compare to the deluxe version?
dressedindreams is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2008, 09:23 PM   #9
Protectmeyou
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedindreams
how does it compare to the deluxe version?

do you mean the deluxe vinyl or the cd?

I haven't heard the deluxe vinyl so i can't compare. As for the deluxe cd version, well that's easily the worst version out there - far too compressed and loud. Modern day mastering has a lot to anwer for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber9
I have the Blast First version with the silver labels in NM condition. It sounds great... I doubt there is much difference between the two versions because they are both Blast First pressings. The only difference is that the US version is marketed by Enigma and the international version is not. And of course, the Enigma one has dark orange labels instead of silver.

thanks for that
Old 04.10.2008, 03:16 AM   #10
dressedindreams
bad moon rising

dressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protectmeyou
do you mean the deluxe vinyl or the cd?

I meant the vinyl. someone already said the blast version was better, so i might need to find one.

As for the cd being the worst version, do you remember Geffen's reissue?
dressedindreams is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2008, 06:20 AM   #11
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber9
I doubt there is much difference between the two versions because they are both Blast First pressings. The only difference is that the US version is marketed by Enigma and the international version is not.

They're not the same pressing - Blast First copies are made in the UK, while Enigma's were pressed in Canada.
The Blast First version isn't an "international" version either, it's the UK release, albeit more widely exported than the others. There's also AuGoGo (Aus), Torso (Netherlands), GASA (Spain), DiDi (Greece) & Supernatural Organization (Japan) versions and probably more.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2008, 02:22 PM   #12
luckynumber9
bad moon rising

luckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmaker
They're not the same pressing - Blast First copies are made in the UK, while Enigma's were pressed in Canada.
The Blast First version isn't an "international" version either, it's the UK release, albeit more widely exported than the others. There's also AuGoGo (Aus), Torso (Netherlands), GASA (Spain), DiDi (Greece) & Supernatural Organization (Japan) versions and probably more.

I stand corrected. Don't forget the Russian version!

and we looked
and we passed
through the hallway of shatterproof glass
luckynumber9 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth