Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The desert birth of sonic youth.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.04.2008, 07:59 AM   #1
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
So, while I do understand that Sonic Youth came out of New York's No Wave scene, I still feel like Sonic Youth's brilliance was born in the desert wastes of California. There's a doom there never revealed until them. Death Valley '69. The Mojave Desert of the Gila Monster Jamboree. Are early Sonic Youth an urban depression or a natural nightmare?

I may be partial to the desert despair as I feel it informs me. I used to backpack the Sierra. But couldn't it be both? Somewhere between the two?
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2008, 08:33 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic youth is guitar music for the western sahara.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2008, 12:19 PM   #3
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
The desert, harvested wheat fields, concrete, maybe even the ocean... it's all in there.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2008, 01:03 PM   #4
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
I know what you mean pbradley, I'm not sure if you've heard the Made In USA soundtrack, but theres a real desert feel to that record in particular

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2008, 12:48 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Agreed.

Made in USA is one of their best albums too.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2008, 01:15 AM   #6
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Agreed.

Made in USA is one of their best albums too.

yeah it is really good. i actually found it today at a record store for 4 bucks. best 4 bucks i have spent for a cd.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2008, 01:27 AM   #7
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Marilym Moore sounds very foggy to me. I used to listen to EVOL at my old apartment a lot which was closer to the sea and the bleakness of the track work well with the fog rolling in a distant fog horns.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2008, 05:37 AM   #8
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Bad Moon Rising is a very desert-at-night album to me. The intro to Candle also has a desert feel to it.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 04:34 AM   #9
The Coachman
empty page

The Coachman has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i would give anything to have been at Gila Monster (theres a few pages about it in that new Psychic Sonic Youth Story that are really visual about it), i think Sister and Evol are total desert records.
The Coachman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 11:53 AM   #10
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
when i listen to sister i think of the future. i guess after finding out that a lot of it is based off pkd, i think that. bad moon rising will have to be my desert pick.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2008, 10:38 PM   #11
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth always makes me think of the streets of some great sprawling city...doesn't have to be NYC...just somewhere with a billion strange characters and just as many possibilties for a night on the town stretching out over the next several years.

Where everything's showing its age...right down to the sidewalk.

That's why I like Sonic Youth.

As a writer, I'm always compelled with that concept and those images.

Always have.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2008, 07:25 AM   #12
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
The Mojave Desert gigs they played are probably the most fun to watch out of all their shows on youtube.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2008, 05:41 AM   #13
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
yeah it is really good. i actually found it today at a record store for 4 bucks. best 4 bucks i have spent for a cd.

I spent £25 on that CD! arrghh!!

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2008, 08:50 AM   #14
anthony89
empty page

anthony89 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaclelapse
Sonic Youth always makes me think of the streets of some great sprawling city...doesn't have to be NYC...just somewhere with a billion strange characters and just as many possibilties for a night on the town stretching out over the next several years.

Where everything's showing its age...right down to the sidewalk.

That's why I like Sonic Youth.

As a writer, I'm always compelled with that concept and those images.

Always have.

Bad Moon Rising to me is very urban, the music contained within the album is a true reflection of the album cover. Some big city at night during late october, cold, the smell of burning stuff, people everywhere, a multicloured sky at sunset, smoke rising everywhere because of the cold air, people wearing flannel, etc. It's one of my favourite albums because of its cohesivness
anthony89 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2008, 10:11 PM   #15
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, that's another one that makes me think of that.

The older the album, the more I get that image.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth