Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Todd Haynes First Movie Superstar (Karen Carpenter Story)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.07.2007, 09:28 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
This is his infamous movie where he acts out the tragic life of ms.carpenter with barbie dolls. Its supposed to be really strange. Has anyone else here seen it? I think it's probably what inspired sonic youth to create tunic later on. Haynes is also directing the new bob dylan movie Im not there.

It's never been officially released, but you can see it at the link below if you want.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...30510713940545
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2007, 09:31 PM   #2
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
This is his infamous movie where he acts out the tragic life of ms.carpenter with barbie dolls. Its supposed to be really strange. Has anyone else here seen it? I think it's probably what inspired sonic youth to create tunic later on. Haynes is also directing the new bob dylan movie Im not there.

It's never been officially released, but you can see it at the link below if you want.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...30510713940545

yeah i saw it. it's pretty good. i used to have it on bootleg dvd but i lent it out and never got it back.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2007, 09:56 PM   #3
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, I downloaded it from illegal-art.org, burned it, and watched it years ago. I think I was the first person to ever post the link back at the old board.

Pretty nutty junk. Some of the backdrop pieces are nice. Todd Haynes also directed the superb video for "Disappearer." Tamra Davis was brought in to help spiffy it up in editing, so it's sort of a collaboration.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2007, 10:21 PM   #4
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

avantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
yeah i saw it. it's pretty good. i used to have it on bootleg dvd but i lent it out and never got it back.
that's why you never let anyone borrow anything. i don't even let my mom borrow stuff.

avantgarde1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2007, 01:38 AM   #5
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I showed it at my 32nd birthday party (Karen died at 32 and I had a major fixation on her at the time). I thought it was going to be funny since it was made with barbie dolls and everything, but it turned out to be a surprisingly serious documentary about anorexia that used the Karen biography angle to pull you in. I liked it a lot, though it wasn't at all what I'd expected.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2007, 10:12 AM   #6
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...378#post365378
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2007, 10:19 AM   #7
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I showed it at my 32nd birthday party (Karen died at 32 and I had a major fixation on her at the time). I thought it was going to be funny since it was made with barbie dolls and everything, but it turned out to be a surprisingly serious documentary about anorexia that used the Karen biography angle to pull you in. I liked it a lot, though it wasn't at all what I'd expected.

Yeah. You hear the concept and think "Oh, how funny."

But then, it's about how the pressures of being a famous woman, and how trying to fufill an idealized concept completely destroyed a human life. Plus, there's footage in there of concentration camp victims.

Still, some people don't get it. After being deeply moved by a screening, I was told: "It's made with Barbie Dolls, for crying out loud. You're thinking about it too much!"
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2007, 03:08 PM   #8
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah. I have it on a dvd somewhere. I downloaded it from someone on soulseek back in the day. It's a really interesting movie. Definately moving.
Old 12.08.2007, 03:27 PM   #9
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
It was a lot less cheesy than I thought it would be.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth