Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Albums that you generally think that only yourself knows
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.27.2007, 10:28 PM   #41
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
hmm...

wow, i've never met anyone who DIDN'T know who mcluksy was. i'm a fan, but even i admit that they were hugely inconsistent. each of their albums has many bad songs on them with do dallas being the one with the least amount of bad songs. they coulda been so much better, loved "the difference..." because it was so fucking dark. jesus. good band though.

also, q and not u are definitely not obscure, though they definitely are the most inconsistent band i've heard recently (more so than mclusky). LOVE no kill no beep beep everything after that just was kinda there. no kill no beep beep was just an amazing amazing record, like fugazi but better. addicting record. i saw this band live with racebannon and their fans clapped to every drum beat. "hooray for humans" is on every mix tape i've ever made.

Funny you say that about Mclusky, cause I literally do not know anyone else who has ever listened to them. Then again, my friends all have shitty taste in music.

As for Q And Not U, I never said they were obscure, but they're another band that only I seem to listen to in my little social circle.
I saw them live once too, and they were great! Really energetic, which was in stark contrast to Interpol, who they opened for. I danced my ass off to Q And Not U and then Interpol hit the stage and everyone fell asleep.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 10:37 PM   #42
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

and finally, the blood brothers are awful. always have been, always will be.
Fucking 110% wrong.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 11:04 PM   #43
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, i dunno, people around here all seem to have gotten into mlcusky at the same time and for really bizarre reasons. i found them randomly through a search for some no wave band ("no new wave, no fun" came up; i downloaded; became a fan)... one of my friends saw the album title and downloaded it... one of my friends stayed in england for 3 months and saw 'em there... etc. all completely random. like 5 ago. but nowadays, everyone knows em.

and i wasn't trying to be insulting or anything with your q and not u reference, i just thought this thread was about albums/bands people usually don't talk about much on here.

but yeah.. the blood brothers.. i mean, this adultery is ripe had a listenable song or two but yeah... i honestly think they're in the top 10 worst bands i've ever heard (a list that includes the mars volta and panic! at the disco). they make me embarassed to be a music fan. but that's just me. i can see why people would dig em

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 11:15 PM   #44
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
In my days of obsessions with Glasgow indie, I really liked Electroscope.

Electroscope=full-on aceness. Beautiful, imaginative, original stuff. I have 2 LPs and a 45 by them. One of the LPs came with a kite and a shopping bag. Great stuff, definitely underrated/underappreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Edit: who, in retrospect, may have only been associated with a Glasgow label. I'm not that fastiduous a collector.

Wurlitzer Jukebox?
Do you know if they released anything else besides the first 2 LPs and the 45?
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2007, 11:39 PM   #45
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.myspace.com/pictishblood
Old 06.28.2007, 12:10 AM   #46
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
but yeah.. the blood brothers.. i mean, this adultery is ripe had a listenable song or two but yeah... i honestly think they're in the top 10 worst bands i've ever heard (a list that includes the mars volta and panic! at the disco). they make me embarassed to be a music fan. but that's just me. i can see why people would dig em

The Blood Brothers are great. As are the Mars Volta. Infact I'm listening to Omar Rodriguez Lopez' recent solo album right now - fucking awesome.

Speaking of the Blood Brothers, Waxwing is another band noone talks about. Great band.

Oh, and Cough by Black Eyes is a fantastic album!
Old 06.28.2007, 02:51 AM   #47
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Read the thread. My last post then might make sense.
Old 06.28.2007, 03:34 AM   #48
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
The Tough & Lovely : Born of the Stars (Spoonful Records 004), 2004.
I bought that album for two reasons : it was well exposed on the shelves, meaning that it could be great, and the cover was way different than the others. To be clear, it was neither appealing nor shockingly disgusting; the musicians had their photos in black & white, and they looked like everyone except that they had something good in their eyes. I bought it like that, without asking for a listen and it was worth it.
They're from Ohio, an American state that ain't particularly hip in the people's mind.
The album suits my tastes excellently, the singer is powerful, the music good, and so on. They're gonna release their second this summer in the US. I hope I can grab it here.
The composer recently wrote a tune for Mary Weiss from the Shangri-Las.

The Rebelettes : Shop Around / Don't Pretend (Sneakers Records 13), 2002
This one I found in Rennes (France) when I couldn't trace it in Paris. It's a Norwegian band with 3 members of Oslo band the Launderettes (great all girl live act). 60s pop-oriented with a really warm sound.

FM Knives : Useless & Modern (Broken Rekids 102), 2002.
The cover doesn't fit the music. The cover is a terrible black and white photo of two kids in a room. It's blurred and you don't really want to look at it. The kids don't move, one is sitting down, the other leaning on a wall. No energy at all when the band's music is powerful !
They sure knew how to write catchy bouncy songs, with a great bass sound. nothing unusual, sure shot Californian music. Good lyrics too.
They later did a 7" with a song named Keith Levene that sounded over-intellectual.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2007, 03:39 AM   #49
sarramkrop

WHITEDAUGHTER
"Stiff with the invisible"

Superlative miserablist pop album from ex Bridge & Tunnel members. "White Daughter have produced an incredibly accomplished downer pop album recalling everything from John Carpenter's minimal soundtracks from the 70's and early Depeche Mode through to Leonard Cohen's unique take on Americana and Suicide's brittle future/retro. They even manage to turn the Misfits' "Cough/Cool" into a streamlined analogue-synth propelled miserabilist anthem.

This is driving music for automobile-assisted suicides."
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2007, 04:20 AM   #50
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Francisco López - "Untitled #89"

(love the artwork, huh?)

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2007, 09:28 AM   #51
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
anyway, thought of more

akimbo - laying stone and forging steel
bride of no no - b.o.n.n appetite!
cutthroats 9 - s/t
de amsterdam klezmer band - s/t
dog faced hermans - hum of life
fatal flying guilloteens - get knifed
floor - dove
gimmik - load error ep
honor role - album
renaldo and the loaf - arabic yodeling
syzygys - discography
aoki takamasa - indigo rose
tinklepotty - car vs automobile
tora! tora! torrance - get into it (shitty vocals but great pissy music!)

i'll think of more..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2007, 10:03 AM   #52
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Only Living Witness -- Innocents

wow, it's been a while since i heard someone mention them.

i'm very surprised mclusky, jandek and q and not u got mentioned. those are massive, innit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungfish

again, not entirely obscure but i love it.
somehow the idea of each of the four tracks being 20+ minutes long doesn't phase me.
one of the very few albums i've ever heard in which the sound is so spacial, so colossally driven, so expansively beautiful. it's total beauty.
every guitar bit, every keyboard run, every drum roll, every bass groove, every vocal delivery.
good shit.

yes, this rules, regardless!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_

(love the artwork, huh?)

i "saw" him live a couple of months ago, his stuff is really intense!!

Quote:
...tora! tora! torrance - get into it (shitty vocals but great pissy music!)

holy shit!! i haven't heard that name in forever, yeah, not super amazing but not bad either.

anyway, my stuff:

xxx maniak (although i can understand why no one talks about them)
GÅNGLÎÅ
g.i.s.m.
reverse mouth

probably more...
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2007, 10:30 AM   #53
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
after reading this description of the music i had to check it out. these guys are fucking amazing marras, thanks for sharing.

influences : Snake Pliskin, ha

One of them worked in a record shop that has since shut down and I used to buy records from. Thouroughly nice chap. I'm glad that you like them, cause it's an ace album.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2007, 10:31 AM   #54
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_

(love the artwork, huh?)
Awesome.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2007, 11:28 AM   #55
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses

Conceputol - Bulk Fiber/Space Invaders 7"

I bought this on a whim in reckless in London when they were closing down. It's a pretty ace slice of geeky synth pop. A bit Devo-ish but even geekier. WFMU wrote a few words about it but apart from that I can glean no other info bar what is on the insert. It seems like this was pretty much all the band put out.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2007, 11:40 AM   #56
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
AH i got into Mclusky at this point too, definitely their high water mark. They did have a fairly consistent following in the UK over that time.

I never understood what the big whoop about Mclusky was. They just sounded like a lot of stuff they obviously worship ie Albini.

Some of them are now in a band called Future of the Left. They sound similar. I only know these things because they are 'local' bands.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2007, 03:23 AM   #57
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

WHITEDAUGHTER
"Stiff with the invisible"

Superlative miserablist pop album from ex Bridge & Tunnel members. "White Daughter have produced an incredibly accomplished downer pop album recalling everything from John Carpenter's minimal soundtracks from the 70's and early Depeche Mode through to Leonard Cohen's unique take on Americana and Suicide's brittle future/retro. They even manage to turn the Misfits' "Cough/Cool" into a streamlined analogue-synth propelled miserabilist anthem.

This is driving music for automobile-assisted suicides."

It surely fits the description.
Thanks !
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2007, 03:42 AM   #58
sarramkrop

Cool, glad you liked it too. I'm the world's only fan of Billy Mahonie, or so it feels. Late Mahonie I prefer to early Mahonie, though.

http://www.myspace.com/billymahonie
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2007, 04:11 AM   #59
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Cool, glad you liked it too. I'm the world's only fan of Billy Mahonie, or so it feels. Late Mahonie I prefer to early Mahonie, though.

http://www.myspace.com/billymahonie
Wow, I don't see why. I thuroughly enjoyed those tunes.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2007, 11:39 PM   #60
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
wow, it's been a while since i heard someone mention them.

I didn't realize there was anyone else who had even heard of them to begin with. I found that CD at the 99 Cent Only Store next to a bunch of death metal, I picked it up because I liked the cover art, and it turned out to be a pretty decent record.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth