Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Musicians that turn you off just because every generic hipster loves them
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 11.14.2006, 05:44 PM   #21
Cantankerous
invito al cielo
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: A RETIREMENT HOME
Posts: 18,536
Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
sonic youth
__________________
RETIRED
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2006, 05:46 PM   #22
atari 2600
invito al cielo
 
atari 2600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,256
atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
This list you request would take too long to write.
If the band is good, I don't care how many "hipsters" may like them, but it is rare that current "cool" bands are very good really. I'm also usually turned off by "townie" retro picks too. Too many seem to like The Who, The Guess Who, Black Crowes and Black Sabbath.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 05:05 AM   #23
Marfloth
bad moon rising
 
Marfloth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Townsville QLD, Aus
Posts: 129
Marfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant futureMarfloth has a brilliant future
You have to be mentally retarded to not like Tom Waits,
Or Nick Cave, David Bowie and Cat Power for that matter.

But i agree 'Wolf Eyes' are shit.
Marfloth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 05:17 AM   #24
sonicl
invito al cielo
 
sonicl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,582
sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
A hell of a lot of "noise" bands seem creatively worthless to me, but the hipster kids seem to want to like them because they think it boosts their rebelliousness rating.

There, I've said it now. So kill me.


EDIT - I'm not saying I'm put off "noise" bands because hipsters like them, by the way, I'm questioning the reason that the hipster kids like them. I'm put off "noise" bands because the musical side of it does nothing for me.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 06:23 AM   #25
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull
 
alteredcourse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,507
alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
what i get out of this thread is ,
whether a band is worth my listening to or not , i tend to get weird and freak away from major excitement over things . as in , when something is being hugely hyped , my subconscious keeps me the fuck away for a while , sometimes years , until i naturally pick the thing up on my own time and give it a proper chance .

cat power is definately in this realm . i fucking HATE the hype surrounding this seemingly simple and noble artist . a cat power fan once critisized my taste in female musicians, and when i gave a negative response to his asking if i like cat power , he pouted snottily "well you WOULDNT like somethign liek that ANYway" . obviously im just not good enough for good ol cat power . marvelous .
ill listen to you in about 15 years, chan .
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 09:35 AM   #26
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,775
HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Death Cab/Postal Service - Everyone loves these bands. I don't care however. It's a bit of a 'turn-off' I suppose but I still love them.

the Shins - They might be decent but every time I listen I think "Why the fuck do so many people like this?" Give me anything else.

Sonic Youth - All the hipsters love these boring motherfuckers.
__________________
rip
HaydenAsche is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 09:37 AM   #27
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,775
HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisemachine
Who the hell bases their opinion of a band on what other people think of them? I like to form my own opinion on an artist based on the quality of music, not what the douchebag next to me thinks.

You're an idiot. Let me take this time to bathe in your stupidity so maybe I'll understand your point.












Nope. Still don't get it. We aren't saying we hate these artists because someone listens to them. We're saying it is a bit of a turn-off because so many generic hipsters listen to them. Completely different, dear.
__________________
rip
HaydenAsche is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 09:44 AM   #28
screamingskull
invito al cielo
 
screamingskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: england
Posts: 5,585
screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
the white stripes - plus i havn't ever really liked anything ive ever heard by them.

Bright Eyes - too anoying, theres about two good songs on each album.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 09:47 AM   #29
screamingskull
invito al cielo
 
screamingskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: england
Posts: 5,585
screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredcourse
cat power is definately in this realm . i fucking HATE the hype surrounding this seemingly simple and noble artist . a cat power fan once critisized my taste in female musicians, and when i gave a negative response to his asking if i like cat power , he pouted snottily "well you WOULDNT like somethign liek that ANYway" . obviously im just not good enough for good ol cat power . marvelous .
ill listen to you in about 15 years, chan .

she must be alot more famous in america/canada than over here. seriously hardy anyone has ever heard of her. which is nice as i can say "do you like cat power" to people and they always say no so i get to recommend stuff.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 09:49 AM   #30
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,775
HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Cat Power really isn't that popular in the states either. She's just as popular if not less than Sonic Youth. alteredcourse is just a tasteless cunt.
__________________
rip
HaydenAsche is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 12:19 PM   #31
zedius
children of satan
 
zedius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Posts: 260
zedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
Liz Phair??? not sure she is much better than Chan of Catpower (except this latest Catpower piece of mainstream garbage) at least well a few years ago, i mean remember Lilith Fair? she played that thing w/ a bunch of other ladies that everyone (at least the majority of the younger female category) seemed to be hip to and boy ever since "Exile in Guyville" she has sold out immensly and that album came out well over 10 years ago.

7 Year Bitch, Babes in Toyland, L7, and especially Hole??? its like golly i don't need to hear another "Girl Grunge Band" again thank you and especially one that has someone has obnoxious of a frontwoman like Courtney Love... yikes. Sleeter Kinney runs circles musically around any of these bands in my humble opinion.

When I say liz phair I am saying pre-whitechocolatespaceegg only. It's a shame she shredded her credability, especially since I'm pretty sure she actually got less cd sales by selling out.

I think courtney love has an amazingly powerful voice, and good melodies. All her shit is constantly trapped inside my head. I don't care how obnoxious she is. And I never said L7!!!
__________________
Do you believe in raptors?
zedius is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 05:32 PM   #32
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,775
HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHOREOHSCOPE
He basically meant that it shouldn't matter whos into what music, you should just stick to your own and enjoy the music you are into.....

You don't think I know that? I'm just saying that has nothing to with this thread. It's musicians who you are turned off by. That doesn't mean you don't listen to them. It's just an assumption that you probably won't like something because a bunch of hipsters do.

Idiot.
__________________
rip
HaydenAsche is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 05:34 PM   #33
chabib
Administrator
 
chabib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 521
chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
people who worry about hipsters spend too much time on the internet.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 05:46 PM   #34
noisemachine
100%
 
noisemachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 655
noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
You're an idiot. Let me take this time to bathe in your stupidity so maybe I'll understand your point.












Nope. Still don't get it. We aren't saying we hate these artists because someone listens to them. We're saying it is a bit of a turn-off because so many generic hipsters listen to them. Completely different, dear.
Still, what difference does it make that a bunch of hipsters do like these artists? Why is it such a turnoff? Are you afraid of being lumped into the category of "generic hipster" for liking them? I still don't understand your logic here.
__________________
The best radio station ever:
http://www.kcsb.org/?page_id=9

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 05:48 PM   #35
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,775
HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisemachine
Still, what difference does it make that a bunch of hipsters do like these artists? Why is it such a turnoff? Are you afraid of being lumped into the category of "generic hipster" for liking them? I still don't understand your logic here.

My logic is, if you don't like the thread, piss off.

Besides, I'm as hipster as it gets.
__________________
rip
HaydenAsche is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 05:48 PM   #36
noisemachine
100%
 
noisemachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 655
noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabib
people who worry about hipsters spend too much time on the internet.
Exactly.
__________________
The best radio station ever:
http://www.kcsb.org/?page_id=9

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 05:52 PM   #37
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,775
HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabib
people who worry about hipsters spend too much time on the internet.

Oh, you've misunderstood me, hipster god. I'm not worried about hipsters. I'm such a hipster it hurts.
__________________
rip
HaydenAsche is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 05:57 PM   #38
Step Father Christmas
little trouble girl
 
Step Father Christmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St Louis
Posts: 23
Step Father Christmas has much to be proud ofStep Father Christmas has much to be proud ofStep Father Christmas has much to be proud ofStep Father Christmas has much to be proud ofStep Father Christmas has much to be proud ofStep Father Christmas has much to be proud ofStep Father Christmas has much to be proud ofStep Father Christmas has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Oh, you've misunderstood me, hipster god. I'm not worried about hipsters. I'm such a hipster it hurts.
I don't understand your pattern of thought there.Are you just being contrary for the sake of being antagonistic or the medication that cures lonliness hasn't kicked in yet?Explain.
Step Father Christmas is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 06:01 PM   #39
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,775
HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step Father Christmas
I don't understand your pattern of thought there.Are you just being contrary for the sake of being antagonistic or the medication that cures lonliness hasn't kicked in yet?Explain.

I'm in outpatient treatment so my medication is void.
__________________
rip
HaydenAsche is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 06:05 PM   #40
Step Father Christmas
little trouble girl
 
Step Father Christmas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St Louis
Posts: 23
Step Father Christmas has much to be proud ofStep Father Christmas has much to be proud ofStep Father Christmas has much to be proud ofStep Father Christmas has much to be proud ofStep Father Christmas has much to be proud ofStep Father Christmas has much to be proud ofStep Father Christmas has much to be proud ofStep Father Christmas has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
I'm in outpatient treatment so my medication is void.
Well it seems like you might have a point,young man.No presents for you this christmas and that's because you haven't been a good boy like i want them when they sit on my lap.
Step Father Christmas is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|


Thread Tools

All content 2006 Sonic Youth