Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Cover song versus cover song
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.20.2010, 09:44 PM   #1
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
...revisited! if you want, answer these. Just curious!

1. Your favorite cover song done by what band?

2. The worst cover you've ever heard done by what band?

3. A band that SHOULD cover a certain song but never has. What song?

4. A song that should NEVER be covered, as no band could do it justice?

5. If your band has done a cover/ever CONSIDERED doing a cover, what song would you choose?

6. How would you feel if a band you HATED covered one of YOUR songs?
artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Youth_Against_Facism
stalker

Youth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's assesYouth_Against_Facism kicks all y'all's asses
1. Where Did You Sleep Last Night - Nirvana
2. Bunch of teens covering Smells Like Teen Spirit
3. I unno.
4. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
5. The End - The Doors
6. Depended if they got me famous.
Old 08.21.2010, 03:31 PM   #3
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
1. I can't pick just one...
2. Avril Lavgine covering Metallica's "Fuel"...bad singer + bad song = horrible music...I also heard a horrid cover by some girl group of the Raconteurs' "Steady As She Goes" at Eat 'N' Park the other day.
3. My band should've covered David Gilmour's "There's No Way Out of Here" a few years ago, because it would've fit PERFECTLY with what we were doing then. But our singer hated doing covers.
4. I don't hold a lot of things sacred, but I agree with Youth_Against_Facism that a Bohemian Rhapsody cover would be fairly pointless. Pretty much any rock opera for that matter...
5. Our singer is more willing to do covers now, so we've done covers of Alice In Chains' "Again", Pearl Jam's "Animal", Tool's "Crawl Away", and Pink Floyd's "Hey You". Recently, we've talked about covering Phil Collins' "I Don't Care Anymore" and the Youth's own "Junkie's Promise". I want to do something fairly recent, so I'm going to suggest the White Stripes' "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" next time we get together (we've actually talked about it before, but haven't followed through with it).
6. As long as they paid me, I wouldn't care. If they got a hit out of it, then they'd better pay me more. If they didn't pay me, then I'll see them in court.
Old 08.22.2010, 02:00 AM   #4
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
1. Without thinking too much about it I've always immensely enjoyed Dinosaur Jr.'s cover of The Cure's Just Like Heaven. Stock answer I'm sure, but it's a jam. What I always enjoyed about it is that it only resembles the original juuuuust enough to be recognizable. But really in plenty of ways it becomes it's own song, which is how I like to view most any cover. The closer a cover sounds to the original, the less interested I am in it.

2. I dunno, I guess that Alien Ant Farm cover of Smooth Criminal, that one was pretty lame. I'd like to hear that one slowed down 20 times like that Miley Cyrus thing.

3. If Slint were still around, out of curiosity I would've liked to hear them do King Crimson's Red. Not really outside of their comfort zone, but I dunno, I think they'd do something cool with it.

4. I kind of hate to say this, because I love Deerhoof. But I think they weren't thinking straight when they covered The Shaggs' My Pal Foot Foot. Just a failed attempt right off the bat. The Shaggs are just uncoverable in general, any of those songs.

5. We've joked about covering I Wanna Be Your Dog because it's just a pretty easy song to fool around on. But if I was seriously thinking about doing a cover. I'd want to do something pretty unlikely. Like I'd want to cover that song about sodium Mike and the Bots play in that one MST3K episode The Horror At Party Beach or Julie Delpy's Waltz in Before Sunset. Something like that.

6. Couldn't care less, they can do with they want. If I got paid, better for me. But I don't care either way. Although, we have some friends that have a band and they're always playing a cover of one of our songs, a pretty short one. It sounds okay until they get to the second chord progression which the guitar player always fucks up. That irks me a little. So yeah, if they played it wrong, I'd care a little.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2010, 10:53 AM   #5
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
1. Your favorite cover song done by what band?
'Twist and Shout' - The Beatles

2. The worst cover you've ever heard done by what band?
'Sympathy For the Devil' - GnR

3. A band that SHOULD cover a certain song but never has. What song?
The Rolling Stones should record the whole of Pussy Galore's Right Now album.

4. A song that should NEVER be covered, as no band could do it justice?
Don't think it exists. Maybe The Beach Boys' 'God Only Knows'.

5. If your band has done a cover/ever CONSIDERED doing a cover, what song would you choose?
'Amarillo by Morning' - George Strait.

6. How would you feel if a band you HATED covered one of YOUR songs?
Don't have any songs to cover but, if I did, so long as it sounded worse than my version, I wouldn't mind.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth