Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page top 10 records...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.15.2010, 06:07 PM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
heheh thanks

here's my revised top 50

1. mike watt - hyphenated man
2. ikonika - contact love want have
3. autechre - move of ten
4. sun city girls - funeral mariachi
5. honey ride me a goat - udders
6. group inerane - guitars from agadez volume 3
7. alex smoke - lux
8. steve reich - double sextet/2x5
9. michael yonkers - lovely gold
10. toshimaru nakamura - egrets
11. stereolab - not music
12. daniel higgs - say god
13. scuba - triangulation
14. group doueh - beatte harab
15. trumans water - o zeta zunis
16. ariel pink - before today
17. master musicians of bukkae - totem two
18. druid perfume - tin boat to tuna town
19. neil young - le noise
20. shed - the traveller
21. blank dogs - land and fixed
22. mass of the fermenting dregs - zero comma, irotoridori no sekai
23. daughters - daughters
24. univers zero - clivages
25. not breathing - christy cores
26. shugo tokumaru - port entropy
27. mount kimbie - crooks & lovers
28. skream - outside the box
29. laetia sadler - the trip
30. arandel - in d
31. mark mcguire - living with yourself
32. tungs - sleeping
33. war on drugs - future weather
34. bruce haack - farad
35. gate - republic of sadness
36. thee oh sees - warm slime
37. shortstuff - summer of shortstuff
38. maribor - atrocitiy exhibition
39. squarepusher - shobaleader one
40. keith fullerton whitman - generators
41. messenger girls trio - excelsior salon
42. dead c - patience
43. zs - new slaves
44. fred frith - ragged atlas
45. ceephax acid crew - united acid emirates
46. jack rose - luck in the valley
47. redshape - red pack
48. infinite body - carve out the face of god
49. sigh - scenes from hell
50. oren amrbarchi/jim o'rourke/keiji haino - tima formosa

I didn't include any records my friends made on here, though they would be on here too if I did.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2010, 06:12 PM   #22
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
oh ok. I heard about a live album, but never saw it so I didnt' know it actually got released. What's the tracklist like? What albums are represented?

It's from 2007, so there's a lot of A River Aint To Much To Love on there. There's also some Knock Knock stuff (Held, Cold Blooded Old Times), and other older material (Bowery, Bathysphere, Our Our Anniversary). It's also among my favourites of the year. Just an unbelievably tight live album. Double vinyl only, but totally worth shelling out for.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2010, 06:24 PM   #23
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Keep the UUUUUU mentionz coming.

You can now buy the split tape anyway if you want a COOL SWEET RADICAL CHRISTMAS PRESENT.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2010, 06:27 PM   #24
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, and RE: Callahan - you especially need it for that version of Bathysphere. One of the things I've listened to most this year.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2010, 06:32 PM   #25
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
These sort of things are really difficult. I always find it hard balancing the records I listen to the most, with those that have impacted me the most. In the following list, I shoot (and maybe even miss, as these things are usually subject for periodic change) for the latter:

1. Nirvana - Nevermind (not my favorite, but out of all there records it made the biggest impact. First heard it in '93 or '94, and EVERYTHING changed for me after that)
2. Sonic Youth - A Thousand Leaves
3. Melvins - Houdini
4. Stooges - Funhouse
5. Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
6. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
7. Buddy Guy - Sweet Tea + Real Deal (been listening to/inspired by so much Buddy lately)
8. Jimi Hendrix - Blues
9. Led Zeppelin - Those first four records
10. Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
Old 12.15.2010, 06:36 PM   #26
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
the puffy areolas rock so much too. listening to "in the army 1981" for the first time in a while.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2010, 06:37 PM   #27
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
tentative top ten:

1. swans - my father will guide me up a rope to the sky
2. the national - high violet
3. blonde redhead - penny sparkle
4. big boi - sir lucious left foot: the son of chico dusty
5. stereolab - not music
6. caribou - swim
7. neil young - le noise
8. the fall - your future, our clutter
9. natural snow buildings - the centauri agent
10. electric wizard - black masses

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2010, 06:43 PM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think any of these records came out in 2010, heh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
These sort of things are really difficult. I always find it hard balancing the records I listen to the most, with those that have impacted me the most. In the following list, I shoot (and maybe even miss, as these things are usually subject for periodic change) for the latter:

1. Nirvana - Nevermind (not my favorite, but out of all there records it made the biggest impact. First heard it in '93 or '94, and EVERYTHING changed for me after that)
2. Sonic Youth - A Thousand Leaves
3. Melvins - Houdini
4. Stooges - Funhouse
5. Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
6. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
7. Buddy Guy - Sweet Tea + Real Deal (been listening to/inspired by so much Buddy lately)
8. Jimi Hendrix - Blues
9. Led Zeppelin - Those first four records
10. Iggy Pop - Lust For Life

Old 12.15.2010, 06:47 PM   #29
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I don't think any of these records came out in 2010, heh!

that's what I get for not paying attention.

sorries....
Old 12.15.2010, 07:38 PM   #30
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
1. Darkthrone - Circle the Wagons
2. Sigh - Scenes From Hell
3. Burzum - Belus
4. The Orb and David Gilmour - Metallic Spheres
5. Boris and Ian Astbury - BXI
6. Cathedral - The Guessing Game
7. The Vaselines - Sex with an X
8. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Beat the Devil's Tattoo
9. Watain - Lawless Darkness
10. Bring Me the Horizon - There is a Hell Believe Me I've Seen it, There is a Heaven Let's Keep it a Secret
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2010, 07:48 PM   #31
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
It's from 2007, so there's a lot of A River Aint To Much To Love on there. There's also some Knock Knock stuff (Held, Cold Blooded Old Times), and other older material (Bowery, Bathysphere, Our Our Anniversary). It's also among my favourites of the year. Just an unbelievably tight live album. Double vinyl only, but totally worth shelling out for.

fuck. Knock Knock is most likely my favorite Smog album ever. So yeah. I need to find this then.
Old 12.15.2010, 09:15 PM   #32
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Oh shit... I completely forgot about the new Stereolab, Blonde Redhead, Burzum and Electric Wizard!

FUCK! I haven't even listened to 'em yet...

Btw, I definitely see what all the hype over Funeral Mariachi was about. This album fucking rules! Are all of SCG's albums this good?

I'm going to need to re-post my list soon.

Sex with an X is great too.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2010, 09:44 PM   #33
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
i forgot about the new burzum until just now. pretty average effort, though still leagues better than his two prison albums.

maybe i'll put it on one more time soon. i haven't listened to it since february.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2010, 09:50 PM   #34
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Haha, glad to see I'm not alone. Haha, I'd probably cry if it were any worse than his synth shit.

Damn, looks like this year was pretty stellar as far as new releases were concerned.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2010, 02:13 AM   #35
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
the puffy areolas rock so much too. listening to "in the army 1981" for the first time in a while.
Check out a band called Condominium. They don't sound similar to P. Areolas but I get the impression you will like them.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2010, 04:15 AM   #36
Massassinated
bad moon rising

Massassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's assesMassassinated kicks all y'all's asses
Still have tons of stuff to listen to, but for the moment:

1. Agusti Fernandez & Barry Guy - Some other place
2. Balaclavas - Roman holiday
3. VV.AA. - Ecstatic music of the Jemaa El Fna
4. Demdike Stare - Liberation through hearing
5. Alessandro Bosetti - Zwölfzungen
6. Little Women - Throat
7. Zs - New slaves
8. Joanna Newsom - Have one on me
9. Owen Pallett - Heartland
10. Supersilent - 10

Very honorable mentions:
Kanye West - My beautiful dark twisted fantasy
Myra Melford - The whole tree gone
Beach House - Teen dream
Exploding Star Orchestra - Stars have shapes
Big Freedia - Hitz vol.1
Flying Lotus - Pattern + Grid world
Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
Land of Kush - Monogamy
Aboombong - Asynchronic
Yellow Swans - Going places
Burial Hex - Fantasma di Perarolo
Raudive - Chamber music

Not taking into account contemporary classical releases as most of them are pre-existing material; Friedrich Cerha - Spiegel–Monumentum–Momente is great though
Old 12.16.2010, 05:05 PM   #37
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Laetitia Sadier's solo album was excellent. better than the Stereolab record, I'd say.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2010, 07:43 PM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I kinda agree, I think they're of a similiar quality, the Stereolab album did have that completely unnecessary remix at the end too.

Old 12.17.2010, 05:58 AM   #39
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
1. Anything By Kurt Vile!!!!!!!!

and then:
the war on drugs - future weather ep
swans - my father
avi buffalo - s/t
deerhunter - halycon digest
Mi Ami - steal your face
ariel pink - b4 today
bill orcutt - way down south
girls - broken dreams club (ithought this band was utterly shit but theyre genious!!!)
flower corsano duo - youll never work in this town again (altho this sounds like any other record they had recorded earlier)

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2010, 09:56 AM   #40
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
some records i enjoyed this year, and not in order:

Jim Ferraro - On Air
Ariel Pink - Before Today
U.S. Girls - Go Grey
Julian Lynch - Mare
The Fall - Your Future Our Clutter
OPN - Returnal
Drunkdriver - s/t
Caboladies - Live Anywhere
Moon Wiring Club - A Spare Tabby
Alastair Galbraith - Mass
Mark McGuire - Guitar Meditations II