Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Ingrid Michaelson
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.01.2009, 12:44 AM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
my four year old niece turned me onto to it and really I like this chick, her music sounds genuine and sincere aside from being pleasent and entertaining.. anyone else?

Way I Am

The Way I Am

Die Alone

[my niece sings this song for ever, and it is beyond sweet...actually got me teary eyed.. my sis is going through a divorce..]

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2009, 01:18 AM   #2
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
I've heard this song before (not realizing who it was). Pretty.

Not long ago a friend of mine (who knows I'm a music kinda guy) said, "I love Ingrid Michaelson. Do you know her, Greg? She reminds me of that Cat Power you listen to."

I honestly don't see the comparison. I just love it when people draw the most random comparisons simply so that they can make one.

Example: A different friend and I drove someplace and on the way I played Daydream Nation. On the way back I played Vespertine by Bjork. His brilliant response was, "ah, now I see what kind of music you like... this CD (meaning Bjork) sounds just like that first one we listened to (meaning Sonic Youth).
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2009, 12:49 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I purchased a CD for my wife and daughter a year or so ago. She had a song appear on some TV show (Gray's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives?) and they raved about it. I searched her CD out and my wife and daughter loved it. My daughter even purchased another one of her releases......not too bad at all!

I agree.

Old 06.01.2009, 12:51 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
it sounds like sincere music, yes. it also sounds like music to where the lyrics are intended to be the stronger part of the song...which, i for one can not relate to.

sorry to hear about yr sis getting a divorce. that cant be any fun for yr niece.

I feel you on that to a degree, especially as a musician myself, I have a particular ear for instrumentation, however, I can enjoy good lyrical music from time to time.. I used to play blues in the coffee shop scene, I have known quite a few of these sincere singing chicks. its better then bikini kill you know?

Old 06.01.2009, 01:03 PM   #5
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
I've heard this song before (not realizing who it was). Pretty.

Not long ago a friend of mine (who knows I'm a music kinda guy) said, "I love Ingrid Michaelson. Do you know her, Greg? She reminds me of that Cat Power you listen to."

I honestly don't see the comparison. I just love it when people draw the most random comparisons simply so that they can make one.

Example: A different friend and I drove someplace and on the way I played Daydream Nation. On the way back I played Vespertine by Bjork. His brilliant response was, "ah, now I see what kind of music you like... this CD (meaning Bjork) sounds just like that first one we listened to (meaning Sonic Youth).

Haha, I know what you mean. It's especially hard when they truly are trying to relate to you, and you don't want to hurt their feelings, so you just kinda go along.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
In regard to the Sonic Youth/Bjork mishap, I believe he was indeed trying to relate to me. I kind of snapped, "what are you talking about, they sound NOTHING alike", and then felt bad afterward when I realized he was just trying to strike up a conversation. I've learned to play nice since then (most of the time).

And yeah, I've had this song stuck in my head non-stop since yesterday thanks to you, suchfriends. I agree that sincere, tender lyrics are more enjoyable than noisy tough stuff that's all showy attitude and not much else. Probably why I've never been too keen with the Riot Girl scene.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth