Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Personal Guitar Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.25.2006, 07:26 PM   #21
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
when I was getting my bass, I noticed a Rickenbacker in the store, but it was $2000. too expensive for a first timer like me

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2006, 08:22 PM   #22
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
I have a shitty acoustic that's probably not even worth the cheap price I paid for it 1,5 years ago. But the color is nice.

My friend suggested I could use it in our forthcoming krautnoiseproject (ehh?) and play one or two chords.
I wonder what kind of sound you get if you plug a cheap contact (or piezo?) mic to it and play through effects.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2006, 08:47 PM   #23
Dan
bad moon rising

Dan has tongues queuing up for a rim-festDan has tongues queuing up for a rim-festDan has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest

Left:
Fender Japan '72 Custom Tele Reissue (order made) (2004)
Ash body
Rosewood fingerboard
Toggle switch next to the volume and tone knobs, not in the upper left of body
Tuned to BEBEBE, DGDGCD, others

Right:
Fender '69 Mustang Reissue (froooom 94/95 I think? i forget)
various sloppy tunings, sometimes standard

I also use an old Yamaha Pacifica covered in duct tape. F# A E F# F# C# with appropriate stirng gagues.
Dan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2006, 10:58 PM   #24
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan

Left:
Fender Japan '72 Custom Tele Reissue (order made) (2004)
Ash body
Rosewood fingerboard
Toggle switch next to the volume and tone knobs, not in the upper left of body
Tuned to BEBEBE, DGDGCD, others
That Tele is awsome. Didn't you post a pic of it on the old board?

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2006, 11:38 PM   #25
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
The problem with Jazzmasters and Jaguars is that they cost an arm and a leg. I wish it was the good old days (70's and 80's) where you could purchase a used, second-hand Jazzmaster or a Jaguar or even Mustang for just a couple hundred bucks at the pawn shops and instrument stores. But once Kurt Cobain got famous everyone wanted his guitars (Jazzmaster, Mustang, Jaguar) and alternative rock exploded. And now what was once cheap, affordable guitars are now quite expensive and hard to find in second hand stores and regular instrument stores. True, the interent is the best source for buying Jazzmaster, Jaguars and Mustangs, but you really have to dish out a pretty penny for them.

I'm looking at one right now on Musiciansfriend.com and a new 1962 Jazzmaster reissue is going for about $1400. A new 1962 Jaguar reissue is also about $1400. They don't really sell Mustangs anymore but they were pricey as well. I'd tell you to go look on ebay for these guitars. Sometimes they can go for around $500-1000, but often they go much over that. It's hard to tell. But they also have the orignal series guitars instead of just the '62 reissue. So it's kind of a mixed blessing. It all depends if you want to spend a lot of money on these guitars.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2006, 09:13 AM   #26
Dan
bad moon rising

Dan has tongues queuing up for a rim-festDan has tongues queuing up for a rim-festDan has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOUT
That Tele is awsome. Didn't you post a pic of it on the old board?

Yeah, I did. I bought it in February but wasn't able to play it until the middle of March because the wiring got fucked right away (and also tele input jacks suuuuck) and I couldn't fix it while I was at college. The whole idea was that I'd get some spare cash by selling my SG and buying the Tele, but after having to get it fixed I think I only ended up with like $100 extra, haha. It's a sweet guitar though.
Dan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2006, 09:25 AM   #27
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Some day I'll go electric. I've always only played acoustic, mostly to keep the amount of gear down and to keep it quiet in the house.

I'm the proud owner of a lovely 1994 Taylor 710.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2006, 09:51 AM   #28
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I'm the proud owner of a lovely 1994 Taylor 710.

Nice!
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2006, 09:55 AM   #29
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i always think its funny when people buy guitars and think that just because its a jazzmaster they will be able to play like the thurston, or kurt cobain or something. or when people ask 'whats a good guitar to get feedback with'? stuff like that cracks me up.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2006, 11:12 AM   #30
FruitLoop
children of satan

FruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard suckaFruitLoop cold hard sucka
So far, I've got an Ibanez Howard Roberts 1976 (minus pickguard) that used to belong to my grandfather, a Simon&Patrick SP6 spruce and some unknown classical guitar with a gob of something I can't figure out down by the soundhole. No amp yet, but the Ibanez has this really neat semi-acoustic sound

FruitLoop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2006, 11:51 AM   #31
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Simon & Patricks makes decent acoustic guitars. Very nice.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2006, 01:15 PM   #32
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
If someone is looking for a guitar that gets a lot of feedback, you should go with a guitar that has large pickups (soapbar, humbuckers, etc.). Something with a large surface area to pick up more sound. That's really the key. It's not really so much the guitar but the pickups. It's all about the pickups.

Also, if yr guitar is a hollowbody electric, and it has f-holes, that creates a lot of resonance inside the guitar which will give you added feedback at the right volumes. But really, for solid body electrics, it's all about the pickups.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2006, 01:48 PM   #33
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
my best friend

Old 06.26.2006, 01:51 PM   #34
Bastian
bad moon rising

Bastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's asses
I`ve "lost" my beloved Fender US strat.. switched guitar bags at a show, with a befriended band, whose guitar player had the same guitar bag.. but I will get it back in july, hopefully.. when they play their next show in the area..
Bastian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2006, 02:06 PM   #35
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
ibanez rg270
black
2 humbuckers (neck position removed)
1 single coil (center)
floyd rose
1 volume, 1 tone knobs
5 way pickup selecter
standard tuning
ernie ball regular slinkys .046 .036 .026 .017 .013 .010
couple of punches here and their and some of the finish is gone from strumming.
1 rugrats sticker
1 hot wheels sticker
1 aladin sticker
1 red pentagram sticker
3 lightning bolt symbol stickers

ibanez silver cadet
black
1 mini humbucker (bridge position)
2 single coil pickups
regular bridge
5 way pickup selecter
1 tone, 1 volume knobs
tuning: b f f d# a c
ernie ball regular slinkys .065 .046 .036 .026 .017 .013
couple of punches here and their and some of the finish is gone from strumming.
1 rugrats sticker
1 stp oil sticker
1 ska sticker
1 nine inch nails sticker
1 korn sticker
1 pearl jam sticker
1 happy face sticker
1 nintendo sticker
1 el barto sticker
1 "sucks" sticker
1 spawn sticker
1 testament sticker
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2006, 05:55 PM   #36
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
The problem with Jazzmasters and Jaguars is that they cost an arm and a leg. I wish it was the good old days (70's and 80's) where you could purchase a used, second-hand Jazzmaster or a Jaguar or even Mustang for just a couple hundred bucks at the pawn shops and instrument stores. But once Kurt Cobain got famous everyone wanted his guitars (Jazzmaster, Mustang, Jaguar) and alternative rock exploded. And now what was once cheap, affordable guitars are now quite expensive and hard to find in second hand stores and regular instrument stores. True, the interent is the best source for buying Jazzmaster, Jaguars and Mustangs, but you really have to dish out a pretty penny for them.

I'm looking at one right now on Musiciansfriend.com and a new 1962 Jazzmaster reissue is going for about $1400. A new 1962 Jaguar reissue is also about $1400. They don't really sell Mustangs anymore but they were pricey as well. I'd tell you to go look on ebay for these guitars. Sometimes they can go for around $500-1000, but often they go much over that. It's hard to tell. But they also have the orignal series guitars instead of just the '62 reissue. So it's kind of a mixed blessing. It all depends if you want to spend a lot of money on these guitars.

I bought mine used for about £350. Not bad. Another was quite cheap, but had holes drilled into it.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2006, 01:39 AM   #37
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
nice guitars everyone, especially CHOUT (i'm gonna rob yr house man)
here's mine.
guitar:
black Affinity Series Squier Strat
white pickguard
with the big 60's headstock (i love it)
three single coils, 2 x tone one volume knob
packed with 12' strings, usually tuned drop D, EADDAE (don't laugh)
fuck your god deicide sticker (like the sticker, i'm not such of a metalhead lol)
kurt cobain sticker
lokomotiv sofia football team sticker
some 'skeleton' sticker
anti-fascist action girl logo sticker (a cartoon sweety with a fucking baseball bat)
the 4 sivits sticker
'fist' sticker (fucked up)
on the back-
the 4 sivits skull sticker
big blue wheelchair sticker
crowfish sticker
united and strong records sticker
(you see i just dig stickers)

by far my guitar is the best non-US made Squier i've seen. mine says to be made in indonesia. i've tried chinese, indian(!!) and various other Squiers from friends. and they suck! like, tiny guitars with crappy tuners and fuzzy pickups. mine resembles US Squier, it's very heavy and the tone is very 60's when put in a tube amp. i have this one for 8 years or something. nice attack, the pickups have quite clear sound for a fucking Squier.
--------------------------------------
white Epiphone by Gibson Accu Bass Custom
black pickguard
precision like body, but a bit weird head
three black tuners and one silver metallic (original black one was broken when i trashed hard with that bass on a gig)
very heavy and specific bass,
hi, i'm elvis sticker
bett sticker on the back

i have a semi acoustic 60"s Orpheus bass, a Kremona bass and some fucked up acoustics i rarely play at all.

PS sorry these pics are big, but i'm too lazy to resize.
Old 06.27.2006, 02:05 AM   #38
contort:myself
little trouble girl

contort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to behold
my main guitar is a Kramer DMZ 2000
it has an aluminum neck with a forked aluminum headstock
and an ebonol fretboard
it's the '78 model so it has DiMarzio distortion humbucker pickups

here i am with it in the studio in rhode island recently looking at someone in a pissed off manner
it gets beautiful sustain which is why i love it

i also sometimes use a 70's model Aria Semi-Hollowbody
it uses humbuckers too, not sure of what kind
basically i found it at a music shop for 120 bucks

i also use an ALvarez electric/acoustic for quieter gigs
no idea on any info on that one beyond it being an alvarez

also at some shows i use a japanese model yamaha tenor saxophone, which although not being a guitar, is quite awesome

some guitars i have lying around in various working conditions are
an generic epiphone les paul i bounced off the side of an amp and stiopped working
unknown strat fitted with a strangely wide neck
fender strat given to me for free in sort of working condition
kawai 1960's starter guitar bought for 20 bucks at a flea market
yamaha acoustic guitar found by our drummer in a dorm bathroom
peavy bass
epiphone reverse firebird bas, currently needs a new input

i feel like such a dork now

there needs to be an amp/effects followup thread, tht's where i really get to pull random brand name drops
contort:myself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2006, 02:07 AM   #39
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Nice Guitars, Kegmama. Ya gotta be the rockinest mom ever.

Old 06.27.2006, 02:17 AM   #40
CHOUT
invito al cielo

I thought I'd do a little profile of my main bass we use in my band
1995 Fender American Standard Precision Bass

Rosewood neck, medium width.
Medium gauge strings.
Red (obviously) but I don't know the proper name of the color. It's definitely not candy apple red.
Passive electronics with stock humbucker pickup. Sounds phenominal - that quintessential P Bass midrange growl. I decided with this bass that I prefer passive to active electronics.
Replaced 'strap lock' nuts with regular ones from an mij Jag.

> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth