Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston Moore - Detonation [2014]
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.30.2014, 03:57 PM   #41
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I'm still a lot more excited for them to release SY archival releases than I am about any of these solo projects.
Old 03.30.2014, 07:43 PM   #42
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Nobody is going to remember them for their solo records though.

If you mean the general public, then you may be right. But many us established SY fans really like some of the solo records. Last Night on Earth is great.
Old 03.30.2014, 09:20 PM   #43
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
If you mean the general public, then you may be right. But many us established SY fans really like some of the solo records. Last Night on Earth is great.

but to just go on what Genteel was saying... would you put any of the solo records in your Top 10 Sonic Youth And Related Albums list? I wouldn't.

Shit. I can barely decide what to cut out for SY records.

I mean I loved Trees Outside, but man, I'd put the bulk of the band's work above that w/o thinking.
Old 03.31.2014, 04:48 AM   #44
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
but to just go on what Genteel was saying... would you put any of the solo records in your Top 10 Sonic Youth And Related Albums list? I wouldn't.

I mean I loved Trees Outside, but man, I'd put the bulk of the band's work above that w/o thinking.

what he says
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2014, 06:25 AM   #45
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

I agree. I really like all the solo material Iīve heard (some of it I love) but any of them arenīt as great as any Sonic album. Itīs possible theyīre not remembered their solo material in the future, but on the other hand there is also lots of great music existing that will not be generally remembered in the future. And personally itīs quite same to me, what of my favourite music is going to be remembered in the future, I believe I will listen it anyway.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2014, 08:30 AM   #46
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
As far as solo material is concerned i'd put Psychic Hearts above most SY albums.

Body/Head, you can keep your recordings of grown women in their 60's barking like dogs to yourselves thanks.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2014, 01:38 AM   #47
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mil_pl
From Thurston's Facebook:

today: recording new songs for new cd with steve shelley, deb, james in secret location in north london - september release

Who is Deb?

Googe?

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2014, 10:18 PM   #48
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Body/Head is excellent but it isn't Sonic Youth for sure. Lee Ranaldo's records are only a little better than Thurston's. Maybe. Change in direction is fine, I encourage that sort of thing myself because it must be boring to always do the same thing. If the actual songs were any good. But they're not. I mean, it's great that they are musicians and do what they are known for and they, as artists, love doing. Nobody is going to remember them for their solo records though.

I agree with Genteel, Lee's (Dust band) songs are fairly different than anything thats like sonic youth or even his song's in SY definitely also give him credit for that, i like some of the songs on the 1st Dust album and tried several times to listen to the 2nd (latest) and just can't wrap my head around it.

I have the Body/Head/Gate LP and thats pretty heavy and great and I like it better than the Matador LP.

Thurston seems to keep the SY-sound-vibe which to me is somewhat reinforcing to me as him being the principle songwriter in SY (though it was still a fairly democratic band, he was bringing in most of riffs...) though his playing style seems to be changing subtly (riffs and chord progressions have a more complex sound but remain having an open chord tone... does that make sense???) within the last few years even within that he's still using the "Pavement tuning" and its variant (CLM was primarily CGDGBB / and now with the new songs that will become the next album i figured out he's gone back to CGDGCD based on the new youtube vids of the most recent gigs).

Yeah, who is Deb? I'm not even familiar w/ James Sedwards??? ...and so is Steve now in Thurston's band and still in Lee's??? (or on brief hiatus from the Dust, whom i assuming are taking a break). I'm just wondering since the 3 of Lee, Thurston, Steve still play in the same circles (one degree form each other) will the time come when SY reunites without Kim (..dare I say???) oddly, i would think its possible more so now than obviously a year or two ago.

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2014, 10:52 PM   #49
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
I agree with Genteel, Lee's (Dust band) songs are fairly different than anything thats like sonic youth or even his song's in SY definitely also give him credit for that, i like some of the songs on the 1st Dust album and tried several times to listen to the 2nd (latest) and just can't wrap my head around it.

I have the Body/Head/Gate LP and thats pretty heavy and great and I like it better than the Matador LP.

Thurston seems to keep the SY-sound-vibe which to me is somewhat reinforcing to me as him being the principle songwriter in SY (though it was still a fairly democratic band, he was bringing in most of riffs...) though his playing style seems to be changing subtly (riffs and chord progressions have a more complex sound but remain having an open chord tone... does that make sense???) within the last few years even within that he's still using the "Pavement tuning" and its variant (CLM was primarily CGDGBB / and now with the new songs that will become the next album i figured out he's gone back to CGDGCD based on the new youtube vids of the most recent gigs).

Yeah, who is Deb? I'm not even familiar w/ James Sedwards??? ...and so is Steve now in Thurston's band and still in Lee's??? (or on brief hiatus from the Dust, whom i assuming are taking a break). I'm just wondering since the 3 of Lee, Thurston, Steve still play in the same circles (one degree form each other) will the time come when SY reunites without Kim (..dare I say???) oddly, i would think its possible more so now than obviously a year or two ago.
I disagree. Wednesday Dust-gig there were moments, that if I had shutted my eyes, I would have easily imagined there were SY in the stage. Also I hear something from SY in Body/Head & Thurstonīs outputs.
Old 04.13.2014, 06:51 PM   #50
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Wednesday Dust-gig there were moments, that if I had shutted my eyes, I would have easily imagined there were SY in the stage.

This was a Steveless show, right?

Lee's caption: The Dust/Scandinavian tour, w Tomas Ortved on drums - "our Jimmy Nicol". #SortSol #getbetterSteve. What happened to Steve? Whatever it was, get well soon indeed!

EDIT - Never mind, I hadn't read the "Scandinavian Tour" thread... Dammit, lots to read here.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2014, 06:52 AM   #51
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

Lee's caption: The Dust/Scandinavian tour, w Tomas Ortved on drums - "our Jimmy Nicol". #SortSol #getbetterSteve. What happened to Steve? Whatever it was, get well soon indeed!

EDIT - Never mind, I hadn't read the "Scandinavian Tour" thread... Dammit, lots to read here.
Yep!
Old 04.29.2014, 09:23 AM   #52
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Steve now plays with Thurston, James Sedwards and some bass player???

Thurston has dropped the CLM band and has started another... they've done a few shows without the bass player, vids are on youtube.

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2014, 08:35 PM   #53
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
Steve now plays with Thurston, James Sedwards and some bass player???

Thurston has dropped the CLM band and has started another... they've done a few shows without the bass player, vids are on youtube.

A coupla months ago or so Thurston said he was still playing with/as Chelsea Light Moving. Is CLM done?

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2014, 05:23 AM   #54
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
A coupla months ago or so Thurston said he was still playing with/as Chelsea Light Moving. Is CLM done?
No-one knows, but it seems it is so.
Old 04.30.2014, 11:11 PM   #55
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I think last night on earth is definitely Lee's best solo record and possible better than most of his Sonic Youth material, I find almost ALL of Thurston's solo shit from any era boring..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2014, 04:58 AM   #56
loop cat
little trouble girl

loop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's asses
Psychic Hearts it's not boring
loop cat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2014, 01:41 PM   #57
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by loop cat

I bought it, listened to it possibly twice, and then it never caught my interest again, I've listened to the noise record with White Out and the noise record Four Guitars Live with much more urgency

Old 05.01.2014, 05:05 PM   #58
loop cat
little trouble girl

loop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's asses
i know both records you said , it's another universe , and the freedom of expression it's far away, from the pop structure of Psychic Hearts (anyway good for sundays afternoon)
loop cat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2014, 08:31 PM   #59
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
i know both records you said , it's another universe , and the freedom of expression it's far away, from the pop structure of Psychic Hearts (anyway good for sundays afternoon)

I was just trolling, Psychic Hearts is ok.. I still only listened to it a few times but its one of the few slightly-less-than-boring Thurston solo records. Notice I said "ALMOST ALL" not all

Anyway, glad to see you contributing posts beyond just photobombing us as is my usual roll. Keep posting please

Old 05.01.2014, 09:07 PM   #60
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

indeed.
these new youtube vids of him and shelley are bring back psychic heart vibes.
the last part of 'elegy for all the dead rock stars' is thurston and shelley at their best. i love that song
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth