Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Verlaines & Flying Nun
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.11.2008, 04:01 AM   #1
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Has anyone listened to the new Verlaines album Pot Boiler? It's their first in over a decade, and it's worth listening to - it's as good as their earlier work.

Is anyone else a fan of New Zealand music from the Flying Nun label? I think I read that Thurston is a fan of Flying Nun music.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
I'm yet to hear the Verlaines, been meaning to though. Wasn't one of the Dead C dudes in that band but they sounded more along the lines of the Clean?

From my experiences both the Flying Nun indie pop side and experimental side of NZ music rules!
Old 01.11.2008, 07:49 AM   #3
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Plan B magazine in the UK had a pretty good article about Flying Nun in one of its last couple of issues.

Unfortunately I'm not a keeper of magazines, otherwise I'd scan it for you, but maybe someone else might still have it. Danny Himself had the mag, so he might be able to help.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2008, 07:52 AM   #4
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onani Nic
I'm yet to hear the Verlaines, been meaning to though. Wasn't one of the Dead C dudes in that band but they sounded more along the lines of the Clean?

From my experiences both the Flying Nun indie pop side and experimental side of NZ music rules!

Yes, one of them was in The Verlaines. Bruce Russell.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to get a hold of that flying nun box set they released.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Yes, one of them was in The Verlaines. Bruce Russell.

no, it was robbie yeats. i don't think bruce russell was in any bands before the dead c.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2008, 09:20 PM   #7
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
I'd like to get a hold of that flying nun box set they released.
I bought the box set. It cost more than US$100, but it was worth it.
There's a limited supply though, only 2000 were released, so they might be gone by now
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2008, 09:21 PM   #8
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
half a cow had some decent releases too
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth