Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Worthwhile best of the 2010s lists?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.14.2019, 09:29 PM   #1
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
So. Almost another decade. Yay. Time for lists: things I used to love that social media and listicles have utterly sucked the life out of for me.

I’m not sure if I’m doing anything more than a top 10, but what I want to know is: Are there ANY music sites out there whose lists you’re looking forward to?

Please send recommendations for lists that might be worth viewing.

Thanks or whatever.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2019, 09:35 PM   #2
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Tiny Mix Tapes: 2010’s Empty Essence

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but there is a little something for everyone.
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.22.2019, 08:43 AM   #3
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Tiny Mix Tapes: 2010’s Empty Essence

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but there is a little something for everyone.

Yeah that works. Thanks.

Crazy how everyone’s sharing stuff.
Old 11.22.2019, 12:00 PM   #4
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
So. Almost another decade. Yay.

Quote:
Crazy how everyone’s sharing stuff.

i don’t know any lists, sorry

eta bitchdork has 200. top googl result
https://pitchfork.com/features/lists...-of-the-2010s/

ah, why did i have to look...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2019, 03:49 AM   #5
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Beyond the "best of the decade" matter, it used to be so easy to find top-ten lists of each year by publication on Metacritic. Now I can't for the life of me find those goddamn little lists there - I wonder if the website received some kind of DMCA notice about it and can't show them anymore. If I'm wrong and that section is still on the site, please let me know and dare to call me an idiot who can't follow links properly:

https://www.metacritic.com/music

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2019, 06:27 PM   #6
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
fyi, the calendar began at year 1 not year zero. the next decade doesn't start until 2021

/nerd
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2019, 06:50 PM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
fyi, the calendar began at year 1 not year zero. the next decade doesn't start until 2021

/nerd

a decade is not like a century that marks the calendar.

a decade can begin and end wherever one chooses.

so the 10s is just the 10 years that begin with 1 (in this context)

2001 is the real beginning of the xxi century, but 1980 was the beginning of the 80s. apples, oranges
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2019, 06:59 PM   #8
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
This thread is off to a good start. Why do you not post some lists and shut the fuck up?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2019, 07:26 PM   #9
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses

one can pick and choose a century or millenia as well. no one doing all these "end of the 2010s" list are mentioning their awareness that it isn't the end of the 2010s.
Old 12.03.2019, 12:01 AM   #10
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
2001 is the real beginning of the xxi century

In fact, if we adopt a historian's perspective, 2001 is the real beginning of the 21st century because of 9/11. And the 20th century is often "compacted" to about eighty years (mathematically incongruous, I know) and called "from Sarajevo to Sarajevo": Franz Ferdinand's assassination in 1914 to the siege of the city in 1992.

Actually, what's incongrous is that Franz Ferdinand the Archduke, not the band, was the one assassinated. NOW, I finally found what I was looking for on Metacritic. Want lists? Here are 21 best-of-the-decade lists and 20 best-of-2019 lists. Both sets preceded, as you can see, by Metacritic's own calculations. Munch on THAT and report back.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 12.03.2019, 01:29 AM   #11
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

By the way, when reading all this stuff it's crucial to keep in mind what Robert Christgau says: consensus has consequences. Here's the most recent of those columns I could find after a quick search (it's from 2014, though!):

https://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/bn/2014-01.php

Years go by, trends change, records nobody in their right mind considered bitchen or relevant may eventually resurface as masterpieces that everybody was too stupid to give more than one spin. And sometimes they're not that obscure, if at all! I keep saying that every time Sam Phillips makes an album it's one of the year's best, but nobody here gives a flying fuck (your loss, mooks). I can guarantee you that Diane Cluck's upcoming album will be gorgeous (I've heard the songs recorded live and she'd have to get hit in the head by a meteorite to ruin them in the studio), but since "wyrd folk" (good LAWD what a dumb tag) ain't where it is anymore, it won't show up on any goddamn list. You know who will be listed, inevitably? Kanye West, whose 2020 LP, Michaelo Ricardo, will consist of praises to Mike Pence over Ray Conniff samples.

Shit, even a band as great and consistent as Wye Oak, praised by everyone and your grandmother just a few years ago, got barely a mention in 2018, even though they made one of their best, The Loudest I Call, The Faster It Runs. To a degree, this isn't unlike, say, the Golden Globes, where the critics get smitten with a show; then, regardless of its merits, they move on to the next shiny thing. Hugh Laurie won the award for his performance in the first two seasons of House, but when he and the program reached their quality peak in season three, the vote went to the new kid in town, Jon Hamm.

On the other hand, some universal acclaim is certainly deserved. I do believe Weyes Blood made a phenomenal work that will stand the test of time. Just take these bloody lists with a kilo of salt and try not to choke on it.

Old 12.03.2019, 03:34 AM   #12
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
You want lists, you get lists.
Here's a list of number 1 hits in the Dutch charts between 2010 and now. Or actually until 2014, because by then they realised that nobody gave a fuck.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2019, 06:03 AM   #13
d.sound
the destroyed room

Great posts soup!

As for music websites, I only give a shit about Brainwashed and TMT. Those are the only sites I'm aware of that truly dig deep into obscure avant music i like. Yeah yeah the Wire blah but it's stupid expensive.
Old 12.03.2019, 08:45 PM   #14
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
This thread is off to a good start. Why do you not post some lists and shut the fuck up?

Because I haven’t seen any good ones? I don’t spend as much time on the internet as I used to, because I don’t have much time?

Because I’m literally asking other people if they have seen any good lists and to share them if that is the case?

Truly the point and purpose of the thread.

Why don’t YOU post something? I’d genuinely love to see any worthwhile end-of-decade lists you’ve come across.

Not counting the P4k/Rolling Stone/Spins of the world because bleh.

Anyway don’t be a shit
Old 12.03.2019, 08:46 PM   #15
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
a decade is not like a century that marks the calendar.

a decade can begin and end wherever one chooses.

so the 10s is just the 10 years that begin with 1 (in this context)

2001 is the real beginning of the xxi century, but 1980 was the beginning of the 80s. apples, oranges

Didn’t think I needed to clarify this, but this is for Jan. 1, 2010-Dec. 31, 2019. Aka the 2010s.
Old 12.03.2019, 10:22 PM   #16
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I’d genuinely love to see any worthwhile end-of-decade lists you’ve come across.

This is something I’ve come up with, so I doubt anyone finds it worthwhile.

Three random (not a best of) albums from each year:

Sun City Girls - Funeral Mariachi
JG Thirwell - The Mesopelagic Waters
Barn Owl - Ancestral Star

Charalambides - Exile
Thurston Moore - Demolished Thiughts
Alvarius B - Barboque Primitiva

Dead Can Dance - Anastasia
Aaron Dilloway - Modern Jester
X-TG - Desert Shore/The Final Report

Body/Head - Coming Apart
Jesu - Everyday I Get Closer To The Light From Which I Came
Wire - Change Become Us

Current 93 - I Am The Last Of All The Field That Fell
Sun Kill Moon - Benji
Einstürzende Neubauten - Lament

Wolf Eyes - I Am A Problem: Mind In Pieces
Lightning Bolt - Fantasy Empire
Flying Saucer Attack - Instrumentals 2015

Brian Eno - The Ship
Controlled Bleeding - Larva Lamps And Baby Bumps
Bonnie Prince Billy - Pond Scum

Slowdive - Slowdive
UUUU - UUUU
Aaron Dilloway - The Gag File

Wet Tuna - Livin’ The Die
Andrew Chalk - Baroque Steps
Lea Bertucci - Metal Aerher

Blood Rhythms - Civil War
The Modern Folk - Modern Folk X
Tuluum Shimmering - Blue Water Sunray
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2019, 10:48 PM   #17
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

"He can be taught!"
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2019, 08:27 AM   #18
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Three random (not a best of) albums from each year:

Sun City Girls - Funeral Mariachi
JG Thirwell - The Mesopelagic Waters
Barn Owl - Ancestral Star

Charalambides - Exile
Thurston Moore - Demolished Thiughts
Alvarius B - Barboque Primitiva

Dead Can Dance - Anastasia
Aaron Dilloway - Modern Jester
X-TG - Desert Shore/The Final Report

Body/Head - Coming Apart
Jesu - Everyday I Get Closer To The Light From Which I Came
Wire - Change Become Us

Current 93 - I Am The Last Of All The Field That Fell
Sun Kill Moon - Benji
Einstürzende Neubauten - Lament

Wolf Eyes - I Am A Problem: Mind In Pieces
Lightning Bolt - Fantasy Empire
Flying Saucer Attack - Instrumentals 2015

Brian Eno - The Ship
Controlled Bleeding - Larva Lamps And Baby Bumps
Bonnie Prince Billy - Pond Scum

Slowdive - Slowdive
UUUU - UUUU
Aaron Dilloway - The Gag File

Wet Tuna - Livin’ The Die
Andrew Chalk - Baroque Steps
Lea Bertucci - Metal Aerher

Blood Rhythms - Civil War
The Modern Folk - Modern Folk X
Tuluum Shimmering - Blue Water Sunray

These are good picks! Though not my own picks. But hey, that’s kind of the point.
Thanks!
Old 12.04.2019, 08:30 AM   #19
Severian
invito al cielo

There was another website/zine that used to have a fan base on SYG. I can’t remember the name of it for the life of me, but it was the kind of site that put Oren Ambarchi and Jefre Cantu-Ledesma and Emeralds and stuff on year-end lists... like the most widely known entry would be Swans or something.

Anyway, does anyone know what I’m talking about?
Don’t remember the name because I’m not cool, and I don’t have time to scour the boards for it, but it was like white text on a black background? Mostly text-based. Always had really good lists.
Old 12.04.2019, 09:03 AM   #20
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Because I haven’t seen any good ones? I don’t spend as much time on the internet as I used to, because I don’t have much time?

Because I’m literally asking other people if they have seen any good lists and to share them if that is the case?

Truly the point and purpose of the thread.

Why don’t YOU post something? I’d genuinely love to see any worthwhile end-of-decade lists you’ve come across.

Not counting the P4k/Rolling Stone/Spins of the world because bleh.

Anyway don’t be a shit

Actually saw the pitchfork one yesterday. Fuck me what a dire list. Swear they just pick em out of a hat and hope people swallow it

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth