Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page What do you hope to get out the Daydream Nation shows?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.21.2007, 06:50 PM   #61
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
while i don't care one iota about the apparent "ethical" issues regarding whether they should play these songs, i decided not to buy a ticket because it would break my heart to see songs like cross the breeze, the sprawl, rain king, etc butchered, and i reckon they probably will be butchered.
Why do you think they'll butcher these songs? Have faith man, believe.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 07:16 PM   #62
amyvega
bad moon rising

amyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's asses
i'll be in LA when the shows happen, don't know if i'll go or not. i'd rather hear them play sister start to finish.... and is watt or ibold going to play bass? i thought kim's hands hurt too much when she plays bass these days
amyvega is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 11:45 PM   #63
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
i don't see any reason for them not to revisit what many feel is their greatest work. i don't think they are in a rut. rather ripped wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't terrible. plenty of fun to be had there. i'm betting that the next album, after the split from geffen, will be different and that it will RULE
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2007, 04:18 AM   #64
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottheron
And as the London shows sold out so quickly, people obviously want to see DN live, so playing it elsewhere makes sense more than playing a standard tour... doesn't it?
Promoting an old album makes more sense than promoting a new one... Hmmm, I'll have to think about that, I'll get back to you later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging_nelly
Sonic Youth will always be better than you
I'm struggling to think of an appropriate response to this.

Rob says the band wants to "rock". I suggest that they put out a new "rock" album if that is what they want to do, rather than revisit an old one. So why does this warrant a statement that Sonic Youth will always be better then me? Because I dare to question why they are doing something, rather than slavishly worshipping them? Explain your logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp-arse
Jesus fuck. Why invest so much time into thinking abooouuuttt soooo littttllllleeee? Go and see Sonic Youth and stop worrying about absolutely nothing my friend!

As the Super Furry Animals may say....'at least its not the end of the world....'

GET A GRIP.
Please accept my hearty apologies for having a mind of my own and wishing to discuss my thoughts. I will enter myself into a rehab clinic and learn how to slavishly worship.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2007, 04:59 AM   #65
racehorse
100%

racehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's asses
in my opinion (without having read the 3 pages of this thread, i am on minimal time here), sonic youth have always been a band to try their hand at everything. by this i mean that they have their fingers in the contemporary art world, they are involved with the underground noise movement/free improv scene, poetics/literature (albeit minimally) while still aspiring to be a "mainstream" band and enter popular consciousness (playing @ the reading & leeds for example). they have always been challenging and interesting to the sonic youth fan/listener. therefore i think that this nostalgia fest is the band experimenting with different concepts/ideas as they have been doing since 1981. i admire them for taking a new move, i guess (obviously i would prefer them releasing a SYR or a new album and touring it rather than doing this, but i won't hold them against it, i'm going to go and enjoy it!
Old 03.22.2007, 05:16 AM   #66
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, those guys don't know how lucky they are. I'd give my arm to see just one DN shows.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2007, 07:41 AM   #67
tramp-arse
little trouble girl

tramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's asses
Dear Sonicl,

I am ofcourse delighted to read anyhing that you have to say on the subject of one of my favourite bands. However, what i was trying to say is, you seem to be getting a tad over excited about the nature of these shows and you are clearly wrestling with a number of reasons as to why SY would be taking part in them. You live in Surrey,I myself in Glasgow, so i hope you will be able to appreciate the comparison i might make between yourself and someone who spends time worrying about what the character of Marge Bishop from neighbours is going to do about her Irritable Bowl Syndrome. To me, yu just seem to be missing the bigger picture. I for one couldnt care less if SY exploded into a thousand little peices this very afternoon. My life will not stop, i am not 'slavishly worshiping', i am alive and will live on.

What im saying is, chill out! Enjoy your SY records and let them worry about how they make a living. You have the fruits of their labour to drool over, rather than the balance of their bank accounts. They WILL play more shows in the future.

Take it easy my friend.
tramp-arse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2007, 07:46 AM   #68
sarramkrop

I haven't read a patronising post like the one above in a long time. Are you a 12 year old?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2007, 08:12 AM   #69
scottheron
empty page

scottheron has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Promoting an old album makes more sense than promoting a new one... Hmmm, I'll have to think about that, I'll get back to you later.
yeah, but who says they're setting out to promote anything? as far as i can see, they're just sharing their music with people who want to hear it...
scottheron is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2007, 08:12 AM   #70
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp-arse
Dear Sonicl,

I am ofcourse delighted to read anyhing that you have to say on the subject of one of my favourite bands. However, what i was trying to say is, you seem to be getting a tad over excited about the nature of these shows and you are clearly wrestling with a number of reasons as to why SY would be taking part in them. You live in Surrey,I myself in Glasgow, so i hope you will be able to appreciate the comparison i might make between yourself and someone who spends time worrying about what the character of Marge Bishop from neighbours is going to do about her Irritable Bowl Syndrome. To me, yu just seem to be missing the bigger picture. I for one couldnt care less if SY exploded into a thousand little peices this very afternoon. My life will not stop, i am not 'slavishly worshiping', i am alive and will live on.

What im saying is, chill out! Enjoy your SY records and let them worry about how they make a living. You have the fruits of their labour to drool over, rather than the balance of their bank accounts. They WILL play more shows in the future.

Take it easy my friend.
Okay, first of all, it's Madge from Neighbours, not Marge, and she died some time ago so I doubt her IBS is troubling her any more, so you can relax about that.

And second, I refuse to take in the least bit seriously any person who quotes Super Furry Animals in a post.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2007, 08:25 AM   #71
sarramkrop

Are Sonic Youth a dogma, then?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2007, 08:28 AM   #72
sarramkrop

Would you top your parents off for them?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2007, 09:03 AM   #73
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
while i don't care one iota about the apparent "ethical" issues regarding whether they should play these songs, i decided not to buy a ticket because it would break my heart to see songs like cross the breeze, the sprawl, rain king, etc butchered, and i reckon they probably will be butchered.

tr00 fan.

Sonic Youth can still play Daydream songs great, Kissability on the Murray Street tour sounded better then the album. Candle, Erics Trip, Silver Rocket, Teenage Riot all still make regular appearences and sound awesome, I don't think they'd fuck it up.
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2007, 09:21 AM   #74
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I would top off your mom for them!!!!!
Old 03.22.2007, 09:30 AM   #75
tramp-arse
little trouble girl

tramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's assestramp-arse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Okay, first of all, it's Madge from Neighbours, not Marge, and she died some time ago so I doubt her IBS is troubling her any more, so you can relax about that.

And second, I refuse to take in the least bit seriously any person who quotes Super Furry Animals in a post.

Was it really Madge? fuck. There goes my argument.

And another thing, if i came across in a patronising way...im really really sorry, would it be ok if we just forgot about that little episode? Cos your, like, pretty fuckin great. Your the dogs duuuude. I dont know about anyone else, but i look up to you baby. honest

And whats up with quoting SFA? please, do tell.
Old 03.22.2007, 09:40 AM   #76
tramp-arse
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I haven't read a patronising post like the one above in a long time. Are you a 12 year old?

Yes,almost 13. Are you slightly overweight?
Old 03.22.2007, 09:43 AM   #77
sarramkrop

More than slightly.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2007, 07:33 PM   #78
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i remember tramp arse from the old board, he was alright
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2007, 07:55 PM   #79
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Here's what you got to ask, have they ever played Daydream Nation in its entirety before? Even when they were touring with it they probobly played like six songs from it and then played older material as well. "Daydream Nation" is a great album, its thier "White Album", thier "The Wall", and it doesn't matter what album they put out afterwards, they can put out a triple album and "Daydream" will still be widely seen as thier best album. The re-issue is a good excuse to go out on the road, which they probobly love doing anyway, and playing not just one-three songs from what 99% of SY fans consider to be thier best album, but the complete album. I hope to see this show, I've only seen them once when they toured for "Sonic Nurse" and I feel they didn't play enough older material, and they didn't play any from DN.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2007, 12:16 PM   #80
mollach
empty page

mollach has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
hello,
noob to the board followed the band for 15 yrs or so......
question that i can't find hear is that the dn show for san francisco that has not gone on sale yet is therea presale thru this site or a radio station?
mollach is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth