Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Bad Moon Rising Tracklist
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.11.2008, 04:25 AM   #1
DON
empty page

DON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's asses
Hello everyone,
as you might know, I'm a SY-Noob, and I just got my ordered copy of Bad Moon Rising today.
After listining to it, I found out (besides Bad Moon Rising being brilliant), that they changed the order of the tracks in the end.
On the tracklist on the back, it's Flower, Hallowe'en & Echo Canyon, but on my disc, the order is Hallowe'en, Flower & Echo Canyon.
Was this meant to be this way or did I get a wrong copy???
Old 05.11.2008, 04:47 AM   #2
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON
Hello everyone,
as you might know, I'm a SY-Noob, and I just got my ordered copy of Bad Moon Rising today.
After listining to it, I found out (besides Bad Moon Rising being brilliant), that they changed the order of the tracks in the end.
On the tracklist on the back, it's Flower, Hallowe'en & Echo Canyon, but on my disc, the order is Hallowe'en, Flower & Echo Canyon.

Those are all bonus tracks that weren't on the LP to begin with. That said the Blast First cd I've had forever has the bonus tracks Satan is Boring, Flower, and Halloween on the disc in the same order they are on the tracklist on the back.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2008, 04:51 AM   #3
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON
Hello everyone,

hi and welcome DON have you seen the discography page here: http://sonicyouth.com/mustang/lp/index.html

on my copy which is the orginal blast first version the tracks are 10 Flower 11 Hallowe'en 12 Echo Canyon do you have the DGC version?

BAD MOON RISING TRACK LIST:
1.Intro 2.Brave Men Run (In My Family) 3.Society Is A Hole 4.I Love Her All The Time 5.Ghost Bitch 6.I'm Insane 7.Justice Is Might 8.Death Valley '69 9.Satan Is Boring [CD bonus track] 10.Flower [CD bonus track] 11.Halloween [CD bonus track] 12.Echo Canyon [CD bonus track]
NOTES
"Bad Moon Rising" was Sonic Youth's third album, preceded by the "Death Valley '69" 7" single in 1984 which featured demo versions of both "Death Valley" and "Brave Men Run" from Bad Moon Rising. The original 12" release contained 8 songs, from the majestic opening notes of "Intro" to Lydia Lunch's furious howl that ends "Death Valley '69" -- all songs segue together except for the side break between "I Love Her All The Time" and "Ghost Bitch" (which is barely noticeable on the CD releases). Bad Moon Rising also marks SY's first music video (for "Death Valley", of course).
HISTORY
Unlike 1983, Sonic Youth rarely performed in 1984, instead focusing on creating what would become "Bad Moon Rising". In fact, I only know of 3 gigs in '84 (which doesn't mean there weren't more), the first taking place in June and featuring the entire album in full, sans "Death Valley '69" ("Satan is Boring" was in its place at the time). Because they only had a handful of guitars at their disposal, and some songs required retuning, they filled the gaps onstage between songs by playing various cassettes thru a walkman into an amplifier, including "Not Right" by the Stooges (which actually made its way onto "Bad Moon Rising" between Society is a Hole and I Love Her All The Time), "Round and Round" by Ratt, and a number of others. The continuous soundscape format worked so well that they utilized it on the album as well. In July they recorded some demos w/ Wharton Tiers once again, releasing two on an Iridescence 7" - "Death Valley '69" and "Brave Men Run". Lydia Lunch, who co-wrote the lyrics for Death Valley, sings on this version as well as the LP version. Between September and December 1984, they recorded "Bad Moon Rising" at Before Christ studios on 24-track, w/ Martin Bisi engineering. The album came out on vinyl and cassette in March 1985 on Homestead in the United States and Blast First in the UK, beginning SY's long relationship with Blast First. On the verge of its release, SY toured Europe once again (having played their first west coast US dates in January), performing the bulk of the album (though not in its "proper order" anymore), and new compositions such as "Flower" and "Halloween" (which were recorded while on the west coast) along with material from the first 3 EP/LPs. "Satan Is Boring", also recorded during the album sessions, was played live on occasion during this tour. It received official release on the Death Valley '69 12" (which featured the LP version of DV69, not the demo), which also contained one track from each of the previous releases. The January '85 recordings of "Flower" and "Halloween" from Radio Tokyo in Venice, CA were released on a 12" single towards the end of '85. Bob Bert plays on all of these recordings. In late 1986, Blast First released "Bad Moon Rising" on CD, tacking on "Satan is Boring" and the "Flower"/"Halloween" single as bonus tracks, as well as the previously unreleased "Echo Canyon", essentially just a sample from a Pink Floyd song ("Keep Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert"). In 1995 the album was reissued on DGC, but the sequencing had been completely altered -- all the points where tracks had begun/ended on the Blast First CD (remember, they flow continuously -- however, the Blast First CD was sequenced to match up with the original groove changes on the vinyl) were changed, radically affecting the total lengths of some songs, few of these changes making sense (the end of Ghost Bitch now became the beginning of I'm Insane, etc). Also, Flower and Halloween's order were switched. Gerard Cosloy provided liner notes.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2008, 06:21 AM   #4
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
My CD does'nt have Echo Canyon! It samples Pink Floyd, wow!

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2008, 10:05 PM   #5
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
I suddenly feel like listening to this again.

Heh.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.11.2008, 10:45 PM   #6
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
this has nothing to do with the tracklisting, but i always wondered what brave men run was about. to me, she talks about how brave men in her family abandon her, but sometimes i feel she's talking about how great the men are in her family. maybe i'm just being silly wondering what the song is about.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
brave men run, in her family (double meaning. either the family has brave men, or they are brave because they run from the family)

brave men run away from me (she says)
Old 05.12.2008, 12:37 PM   #8
tasteinmen
bad moon rising

tasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's asses
My bonus tracks are in the following order

Satan Is Boring
Hallowe'en
Flower
Echo Canyon

Brave Men Run is probably my favourite song from BMR
tasteinmen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 02:22 PM   #9
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasteinmen
My bonus tracks are in the following order

Satan Is Boring
Hallowe'en
Flower
Echo Canyon

Brave Men Run is probably my favourite song from BMR

that's how mine is set up too. brave men run is also my favorite track off of the album.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 10:27 PM   #10
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Halloween is my favorite song from this period. It was a great choice for an opener for many of the BMR tour dates.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 08:10 AM   #11
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
atomic wallop.....

great album regardless of tracklisting typos!
Old 05.13.2008, 11:13 AM   #12
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DON
Hello everyone,
as you might know, I'm a SY-Noob...

Hello, DON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
Halloween is my favorite song from this period. It was a great choice for an opener for many of the BMR tour dates.

74:21

audience recordings (mostly) compilation
tracks 1-7 .rar http://www.badongo.com/file/7169858
tracks 8-14 .zip http://www.badongo.com/file/7170365
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2008, 04:13 PM   #13
DON
empty page

DON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's assesDON kicks all y'all's asses
Thank you all,
Yes, I've got the dgc-version (it's an US-Import)

By the way: Hellowe'en grow on to me as one of the bands best tracks!!!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth