Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page What do you hope to get out the Daydream Nation shows?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.21.2007, 04:51 AM   #1
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I've booked to go to one of the Daydream Nation shows in London, but the more I think about it, the more I'm not sure why. It's a knee-jerk reaction when I see that tickets are on sale for an SY show that I want to get one, but I'm having serious doubts about the validity of this one.

You see, I see SY as a band with artistic integrity, and I don't understand where these shows fit into that. They've always been, to me, a forward-looking group, wanting to challenge and progress themselves artistically, and it seems to be out of keeping with that sort of vision to be going out on a tour (albeit a mini-tour) to play 14 songs that they wrote and recorded 19 years ago.

Some might say that SY are playing the shows to support the release of the Daydream Nation expanded edition, but they didn't do that for any of the other three expanded editions, so why do it for DDN?

Others might say that this gives fans the chance to experience the way the band was in their 1980s heyday. This seems a very odd idea to me, suggesting that they have sat down and decided that everything that they've done since DDN has been less worthwhile, and that they should start accepting that and become a nostalgia-based outfit. What utter bull.

My sincere hope for these shows is that they have decided where they are headed now that they are no longer contracted to Geffen, and that they have decided to go it alone. That they are either going to release their future work themselves without the backup of a major label, or that they are going to record albums and present a completed package to various labels and ask, "okay, who is going to release this?". To do either of these they are going to need to have the funds to pay out of their own pockets (well, the band's pockets) to go into a studio, record the album, pay a producer, an engineer and all the other people involved in recording an album, and end up with a product that they and/or a label will want to release. They'd need to get funds to do this somehow, and what better way than to do a money-spinning tour playing their "classic" album. If this is the case, I can support the idea from a commercial point of view, but it still sticks in my throat a little that the band is going back 19 years instead of looking forwards.

Anyone else got any thoughts to share?

(Oh, by the way, I still love SY, and at the moment my intention is still to go to the show I have a ticket for, but that is more out of hope of something interesting being done for the encores than out of expectation of a valid artistic experience.)

EDIT - I've just reread my post, and I guess that part of my concern is about where SY are headed in the future. Do they feel that they've driven themselves into a cul-de-sac (or been driven into one) and they feel the only way out is to go into reverse for a while and then take a different turning, or are the DDN shows just a little side thing and their future involves continuing down the road they're already on? From the point of view of their doing something that excites me, I hope it's the first of those.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 05:04 AM   #2
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Dude, i'm going to all three!!!. For the moment i just want to go and enjoy the shows, enjoy seeing my favourite band play one of my favourite albums of all time. Where they go from there is their decision, and i trust that they will make the best one. I'm not going to worry, if this the end then its been a great ride and they are going out with a bang, and i got the chance to see them 4 times! and thats not bad.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 05:05 AM   #3
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
I see your point. That's what I feel as well. My first reaction was same. Wow. Sy gig. Get ticket and go see sy play live + DN set. It's going to be hardly like back then (obviously), so it's more and more something like commercial move to me, which is ok I suppose (for band income). But, little worried that they have to do it like that. Maybe I'd see it in different light if there would be only one DN show in Europe (but then).

So yeah, I'm going and don't expecting nothing rather than something. And I'd rather see SY doing something like SYR 4 or Melbourne Dircet now.

(I love SY..)
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 05:11 AM   #4
WHOREOHSCOPE
children of satan

WHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's asses

WHOREOHSCOPE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 05:13 AM   #5
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
To put my thoughts into context, I should mention that I've seen the DDN songs played before, so going to the concert isn't going to give me any new experience. I can understand the excitement about the shows for those people who, for reasons of age or whatever, couldn't see the band on the original DDN tour and so this is their first chance to see the songs played, but I hope they're not hoping to get some sort of life-changing experience out of it.
Old 03.21.2007, 05:14 AM   #6
WHOREOHSCOPE
children of satan

WHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's asses

WHOREOHSCOPE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 05:16 AM   #7
sonicl
invito al cielo

Yeah, that's cool. I'm just interested to know why SY are playing the shows. Hopefully someone will ask them that question in an interview some time.

My title for this thread is totally at odds with the question that I actually ask in it. My bad. If I could change it to include "Why are SY playing the DDN shows?", I would.
Old 03.21.2007, 05:24 AM   #8
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I just think something like this: they probably enjoy a lot playing DDN.
I think they could have done just a couple "special" shows, but if they agreed to do more (like, 3 in the same city ) it is probably because they actually enjoy playing those songs and like this idea. Dunno what you guys hope to get from their DDN shows (I'll go see a "special" show only if they'll play here in italy), it's not one of my fav album and I've already seen them play a good amount of my fav DDN songs on the MS tour... On a side note, I think that this "Don't look back" thing is growing and growing ( slint playing spiderland in italy too, for example) and this is another good reason to add dates. People want to see them playing this stuff? So why not book more dates. I don't think that this "thing" (meaning the organization of Don't look back series of gigs) was this "strong" when the others reissues were released. Actually I'm not really worried about the bands' future, I don't think that gaining more money than usual with "special" gigs could deeply affect their future decisions. As I said in that other thread, my only complain (and remember that, as for now, I'm not even going to see one of these gigs) is that "multiplying" the number of dates does not help making these gigs special.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 06:20 AM   #9
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Well, for me it's simple.

I've been to a Sonic Youth concert only once in my life so far and that for sure was a life-changing experience. So I guess, this one won't be that much of a killer, but still a great show and I will be enjoying as much as possible (in case they don't fuck up). And I love Daydream Nation and I'll see London again and will have great time and yada yada.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 06:27 AM   #10
jico.
expwy. to yr skull

jico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's asses
somebody asked them to do it... and they said ok let's do it, i guess.
jico. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 06:28 AM   #11
sonicl
invito al cielo

And you'll meet lots of nice people, Slavo, don't forget that bit

The board-related social aspect of the concert that I'm going to is almost as important to me as the music.
Old 03.21.2007, 06:36 AM   #12
jico.
expwy. to yr skull

jico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's assesjico. kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jico.
somebody asked them to do it... and they said ok let's do it, i guess.

yeah, i really think that it was that simple. there was a huge public demand for something like this, it's a nice way to celebrate daydream nation almost 20 years later, blablabla

they're doing this for the most of us.

i'm considering going to barcelona. sonic youth only came to portugal 3 times and due to my age i was never there.
Old 03.21.2007, 06:49 AM   #13
sonicl
invito al cielo

But wouldn't you rather see them perform something that represents their current artistic vision, not a re-enactment of something past?
Old 03.21.2007, 06:50 AM   #14
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Others might say that this gives fans the chance to experience the way the band was in their 1980s heyday. This seems a very odd idea to me, suggesting that they have sat down and decided that everything that they've done since DDN has been less worthwhile, and that they should start accepting that and become a nostalgia-based outfit.

By that logic, if I order dessert, then I must not have liked my appetizer or entree.

I respect your opinion on this, sonicl, but I don't accept the "either/or" notion that they either want to let fans experience a classic album or they are a forward-looking band. To answer your question, what I hope to get out of this is a great performance of music I've never heard them play. Then, next year, right on "schedule", I plan to see them again, playing mostly new music from a newly-released album. I plan to have my cake and eat it, too!
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 06:50 AM   #15
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i dont really expect to get anything out of the shows. i mean i dont think it will be a life changing experience or anything. i am just interested in seeing and hearing it. also hearing some songs played live which they dont really do anymore.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 06:52 AM   #16
sarramkrop

Some of the responses on this thread make me think that the culture of pleasing your audience that seems so prominent in our time is very much something that is also making music a more boring thing for people who demand a little more than what they'd ask for.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 07:35 AM   #17
jico.
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
But wouldn't you rather see them perform something that represents their current artistic vision, not a re-enactment of something past?

yes, tottally. if i had the chance...
Old 03.21.2007, 08:27 AM   #18
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I've booked to go to one of the Daydream Nation shows in London, but the more I think about it, the more I'm not sure why. It's a knee-jerk reaction when I see that tickets are on sale for an SY show that I want to get one, but I'm having serious doubts about the validity of this one.

a thing people are forgetting is that this is all on Barry Hogan, he started the whole Don't Look Back series, and since SY are still friends with him then it's kinda awkward for them to say no

and yes on the commercial side of things their is that aspect that this may be their final year with geffen, so they are getting the most out of it, and regardless of what any DIY person may say anywhere, what they want is security and a peace of mind. DIYers do it themselves certainly, SY for most intentioned purposes is DIY, they aren't raking in the coin, in all the years they have been on geffen how much of a substantial profit have they made? the most significant was lollapalooza in 95 when they made at least 2 mil, and that all went into echo canyon which has now been sold off, hell if i know if they made a return on prime property in downtown mahattan but one can assume

maybe cause london doesn't get too many SY club dates, it sold out quickly, and don't think the response didn't change the bands mind on how many of these shows they wanted to do

and ultimately, are people THAT concerned about the future of their artistic credibility? the band's sound is constantly changing, then they go off on their own a lot of very wonderful projects emerge, but there is a certain emphasis on being innovative to an unattainable standard, SY have done things most other bands in 25 years of existence haven't done, and one of them is not suck after 25 years, and considering how many other acts are out there that were from the 60s, the 70s, 80s and so on doing their thing, how many are actually evolving, and how many can only stick to the blues scale?.......
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 09:06 AM   #19
sarramkrop

By the standards of the post before Nefeli's, basically you are allowed to put out shoddy records after you're past your fifties because, you know, you've done enough for queen and country etc etc. If that sort of mentality is to be applied to Sonic Youth, it'd be a right laugh for someone to to stick a medal on their unironed t-shirts after every celebration of past things.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2007, 09:30 AM   #20
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
They play festivals every time they hit Europe. They play festivals here when they can. They even played the Minnesota and New York State Fairs last year.

However, it seems fairly obvious after all these years that Sonic Youth will always draw the line somewhere and be found in the art camp of the art/commerce equation. This being the case, sonicl's repeated diatribe is wearing a bit thin.

A few seconds of Lee's whispers on Matthew Stearns' dictaphone tells me that Sonic Youth are doing everything just as they always have: They are playing the Daydream Nation shows because they've decided that they want to play all those songs again.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth