Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page ... and clean out of town!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.27.2009, 03:52 PM   #1
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
So, I was listening to Lee's East Jesus last night, and I was really in awe of the fourth track, "Live #1." Does anyone have any more insight on that recording? Anything more than what the liner notes say, that is: "Live ∞ #1" was recorded upstairs at the Paradiso in Amsterdam during the Infinity tour of 1987, with Steve Shelley."

Like, what's even going on on it? Sex Pistols sample, spoken word, SS Beat Control, whaaaat? Is there a decent bootleg of that show somewhere?

/incoherent post
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 04:04 PM   #2
al shabbray

damn. still got no east jesus copy. this just makes me to want it even more.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/cc/053187.html
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
i may as well elaborate here for the sake of convenience (and i do love that track on 'east jesus' as well...):

dig more in 'JRNLS80s' btw...

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/cc/soloshows.html

INFINITY TOUR '87

Date: Thursday, May 28th, 1987
City: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Venue: De Effenaar

The first of Lee's "From Here to Infinity" shows, w/ Steve on board as well. The "infinity suitcase", which contained all of the tapes and mixers and writings Lee needed for the shows, never arrived at the airport in Holland, so here's a passage from Jrnls80s explaining how they dealt w. it:

we went to the club and worked something out, found a mixer, made some tapes and decided to play live a bit. i set up four amps and we had a drum kit. after mixing tapes for a short while we shifted into a playing mode, with steve going beat-wild on the drums and me setting all four amps to feeding back until a loud (natch) beating din was established which we then played off of for awhile. it actually turned out to be a very cool and new show, forcing the live playing into the act which i had wanted anyway.

Date: Friday, May 29th, 1987
City: Den Haag, Holland
Venue: ?

The infinity suitcase was retrieved in time for this show...more from Jrnls80s:

...we drove back to the club in den haag, planning to incorporate the live and the tape stuff. i'd been reading some new things i'd written the day before on carlos' 'typowriter' in between pacing and pondering that first night's show. the set opened with this beat box mix of thurston scratching a hendrix record along to a drum track which we had made at martin's during the "master-dik" remix a week or so before. i would read the piece about julie and the boat over top of that. that was working out pretty cool. a good, somewhat perplexing way to open the set. this nights' gig was marred by a feedback squeal during the live part which broke the momentum and generally fucked things up. plus the den haag crowd, notorious for being about as lively as tombstones, were no help. fIREHOSE were on the bill and they didn't fare much better with the crowd, although it was cool that we and they were both there, in holland, like, you know, together.

Date: Saturday, May 30th, 1987
City: Goes, Holland
Venue: ?

This show directly followed a traffic accident...more from Jrnls80s:

the show in Goes was pretty cool, it kind of found its shape: hendrix tape plus reading the julie piece, tape mixing section, droning amps rising, drums entering//live playing section, and out with the final tape mixing and bells. the video screens looked okay onstage. i think it proved to be kind of nice and confusing, a bit involving and a bit aloof, generally quite unlike anything the audience was prepared to see, which is fine by me. also on the bill was World Domination Party who were pretty cool and nice guys to boot.

Date: Sunday, May 31st, 1987
City: Amsterdam, Holland
Venue: Paradiso

From Jrnls80s:

the final show for us the next day was in paradiso, amsterdam. rather than the giant room where there were already four bands to go on, we had a smaller room upstairs all to ourselves. we were able to do a nice long check and position the three TV's nicely on top of the pa speakers and one onstage which made for a nice three-dimensional synapse-snap view of the feedback-video scans, davo told me later. the show was the best yet and the room was jammed with all manner of folk including daniel miller and rob collins and the three Ut girls whom i hung with afterwards but while it was happening i was oblivious to all of them, really inside the sounds and the reflected glare if the vid-screens. for the second reading, while steve wailed beat-rain over me i was crouched in front of the screen onstage, trying to enter it, silhouetted in the electron glow. it felt really good and the crowd seemed really to like it.

A portion of this show is available as "Live Infinity #1" on Lee's "East Jesus".
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 07.27.2009, 05:48 PM   #5
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for all that! awesome.

i really should get jrnls80s. really really. yeah.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Chris Lawrence

the 'me and jill'/'hendrix cosby' stuff is pretty interesting!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth