Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Praise for Sonic Youth, the best band ever
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.31.2017, 05:17 PM   #21
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
How sweet of you.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2017, 04:18 AM   #22
bloodcrystallisetosand
bad moon rising

bloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Sonic Youth to me wasn't just getting into a new band, it almost felt like getting into a new genre. Or learning a new language.

Yeah, this was it for me. Everything always comes back to SY for me. Grew up listening to, as was the fashion at the time, whatever Britpop type stuff was on the radio, plus older, mostly British rock via parents, got into grunge/pop punk/'mainstream alternative' at 14ish and had my head completely cracked open by SY at 16. I probably have 3 or 4 proper, hardcore, can't-possibly-listen-to-anything-else-for-a-fortnight sessions on them a year these days, but there was a very long period of time when I played them at least every other day. First album was Sister, first album I got on release was Nurse.

I still see them as a genre unto themselves really. Have naturally ventured into no wave/Branca/etc, as well as other atonal stuff, guitar based or composed, and all the other many, many threads to pull from digging into the band, but no one else has quite the same combination of texture, melody and groove. The fact that there are 18 (I think...) albums proper, plus yer SYRs and archival bits and EPs and unlimited bootlegged skronk wig out alternate versions and demos and covers and on and on, not to mention the side/now-current projects of Thurston, Lee and Kim, and you've got a body of work at least as substantial as some entire scenes.

Hello to OP as well! Nice to see a little bit of good old fashioned sonik love on the board, makes me all misty-eyed and nostalgic.
bloodcrystallisetosand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2017, 07:22 AM   #23
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodcrystallisetosand
I still see them as a genre unto themselves really. Have naturally ventured into no wave/Branca/etc, as well as other atonal stuff, guitar based or composed, and all the other many, many threads to pull from digging into the band,

which is I equate SY with a genre unto themselves: the list of other artists/bands/composers/etc I've discovered THRU them is fucking long. The Branca stuff you mentioned; the composers on Goodbye 20th; the collabs on SYR's or any one of Thurston and Lee's improv releases; No Wave; Swans... but then there's the other side where they were covering The Carpenters and Beach Boys and Madonna. The Sonic Family Tree has deep roots and a thousand leaves.
Old 09.01.2017, 01:44 PM   #24
sonikdeathmonkey
little trouble girl

sonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's assessonikdeathmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Trying to explain or understand Sonic Youth is a moot point. Their GREATNESS is what physicists refer to as a "brute fact".
sonikdeathmonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2017, 08:50 PM   #25
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
You review people's lack of laughter at your jokes?

That's not what he did though. He said it would have been nice if you'd said something about the actual post. Lack of laughter at jokes isn't being discussed. Commenting on non-jokes is being encouraged.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2017, 09:55 PM   #26
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
sonic youth was like a drug. before i ever did drugs. then i did drugs, and realized it was the same feeling getting high, euphoric. i'd listen to them for hours as a teenager. getting to the many sweet spots in their songs that just made me feel good and happy, wanting to hear it and experience it again and again. the greatest band.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2017, 06:05 AM   #27
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not sure SY were ever my favourite band, but they were probably the most vital in introducing me to other ones. They also seemed the most multi-faceted of those bands: less limited purely to music (largely through Kim) than those which, on purely musical terms, I preferred.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2017, 09:45 AM   #28
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm not sure SY were ever my favourite band, but they were probably the most vital in introducing me to other ones. They also seemed the most multi-faceted of those bands: less limited purely to music (largely through Kim) than those which, on purely musical terms, I preferred.

They were and are my favorite band, but I definitely agree about the freedom and lack of limitation to their sound being a huge selling point. I may prefer, say, "Good Morning Captain" to anything SY did in the '90s, but while Slint was a bit boxed in musically and stylistically, SY could do anything. Noise jams, acoustic ballads, post-punk dirges and epic rock songs. They could do soft or loud or pretty or ugly or hardcore-fast or jam band-chill, and ALL of it came out sounding like something utterly singular and unique.

I used to get a little hung up because I liked the energetic, power chord punk of Hüsker Dü, but I also liked the borderline-metal slog of Dinosaur Jr. and the whipping smack of the Pixies. I'd be frustrated because I didn't know which I liked more, and I resented having to always decide. With Sonic Youth, you didn't have to decide.

And by saying you love Sonic Youth, you're getting multiple messages across. You're saying so much... all at once (unless the person you're talking to has never heard Sonic Youth, in which case you're basically saying nothing). For a while I'd answe that frustrating, "What kind of music are you into?" question simply by saying, "Well, my favorite band of all time is Sonic Youth, if that tells you anything." It worked.
Old 09.07.2017, 10:41 AM   #29
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
They were and are my favorite band, but I definitely agree about the freedom and lack of limitation to their sound being a huge selling point.

I was thinking less about their sound than their broader cultural interests. The way they (thanks mostly to Kim) tapped into areas of art, fashion, etc, as well as (through their connection with people like Richard Kern) things like underground film. They helped introduce me to bands like Live Skull, Pussy Galore, Big Black, Swans, etc, which at the time I probably listened to more than I did SY. But compared with SY, they really didn't extend much beyond the music they made.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2017, 10:43 AM   #30
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I was thinking less about their sound than their broader cultural interests. The way they (thanks mostly to Kim) tapped into areas of art, fashion, etc, as well as (through their connection with people like Richard Kern) things like underground film. They helped introduce me to bands like Live Skull, Pussy Galore, Big Black, Swans, etc, which at the time I probably listened to more than I did SY. But compared with SY, they really didn't extend much beyond the music they made.

Gotcha. Agree.
Old 09.08.2017, 08:31 AM   #31
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikdeathmonkey
Henry Rollins had a great quote one time, someone asked him why he was such a music snob and he said, "I can't forget what I know".

I'm stealing that line....
Old 09.08.2017, 08:33 AM   #32
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Please care to name the 75% of this forum that is so snobbish about music taste. There aren't that many people actively posting on here about music so it should be an easy task.

*pops head up*

chellooooo!

*pops back down*
Old 09.08.2017, 08:40 AM   #33
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

SY is my favorite rock band. They have been since I got Daydream Nation when it came out. I have ridden the ups, the downs, the all-arounds, with my band. I even went back and re-listened to EJST&NS to give it another chance after ten years and it STILL FUCKING SUX.

hahahhah!

The best thing about Sonic Youth is that what they did was so idiosyncratic, so dependent on those four personalities, that no one has really been able to coe along andcarry the torch. Polvo tried, but failed, and SY outlasted them. Unwound tried, and burned themselves out. The fact that, even in 1988, the members of SY were all 10-12 years older than anyone in the other bands I loved at the time made them seem wise beyond their years.

I spent decades forcing SY on anyone who would listen, at parties, at friend's houses, during ten hour acid trips, etc. and while some poeple liked aspects of the Youth (the rockers really loved Dirty and the fat riffs, for example) I have never found anyone in my daily life that has the same passion for their skronk as I do.
Old 09.08.2017, 10:04 AM   #34
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
SY is my favorite rock band. They have been since I got Daydream Nation when it came out. I have ridden the ups, the downs, the all-arounds, with my band. I even went back and re-listened to EJST&NS to give it another chance after ten years and it STILL FUCKING SUX.

hahahhah!

The best thing about Sonic Youth is that what they did was so idiosyncratic, so dependent on those four personalities, that no one has really been able to coe along andcarry the torch. Polvo tried, but failed, and SY outlasted them. Unwound tried, and burned themselves out. The fact that, even in 1988, the members of SY were all 10-12 years older than anyone in the other bands I loved at the time made them seem wise beyond their years.

I spent decades forcing SY on anyone who would listen, at parties, at friend's houses, during ten hour acid trips, etc. and while some poeple liked aspects of the Youth (the rockers really loved Dirty and the fat riffs, for example) I have never found anyone in my daily life that has the same passion for their skronk as I do.

* Same, except damn you're old, and I love EJST&NS. I've never really gotten anyone into SY. I've just found fellow SY fans. I've tried like hell, but never turned someone.
Old 09.08.2017, 01:09 PM   #35
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
the moment i heard that 3 note opening riff in becuz my life changed forever. i think that was 1995. i was 14. i had already picked up a guitar because of my love of nirvana, but i had no idea guitars could make so many different sounds. squeeling jet engines, a choppy ocean storm, it blew my mind. i immediately detuned my guitar and decided to never let 'conventional' music education ruin my creativity. i never bothered to learn to read sheet or even standard chords. i always and still just make sounds that sound good to me. i make electronic music these days but the timbres and textures of washing machine are still there.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2017, 07:01 PM   #36
musicplatypus
little trouble girl

musicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
For a while I'd answe that frustrating, "What kind of music are you into?" question simply by saying, "Well, my favorite band of all time is Sonic Youth, if that tells you anything." It worked.

I've always answered that question: "I like everything from classical to punk, and everything in-between, except for most country and most rap." That has been updated. I once dismissed all country and that was a mistake. Some early country (heck, even some 80's stuff is great) is phenomenal.
musicplatypus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2017, 05:52 PM   #37
punkbrokeme
empty page

punkbrokeme has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
The Sonic Family Tree has deep roots and a thousand leaves.

This is a great line. I discovered so many bands and musicians through SY and their connections. The bands that they toured with plus all the artist on Ecstatic Peave. Mats Gutafsson blew my mind on SYR8 and he led me to so many other great musicians. Plus all the artists and writers that they reference in songs and interviews.

Of all the mainstream alt rock bands of the 90s I believe that SY maintained their artistic integrity to the greatest degree. Their break-up has signified a change in popular music. It seems as if in the last decade or so we've begun to see SY lose their influence among bands. Now rap and electronic music seem to have replaced rock and any band on a major label is 100% a corporate product.

It seems wild that so many people take SY and their influence for granted. They were true artist among a bunch of kids getting record deals. Look at pretty much every 90s alt rock band and they either imploded earlier on or they remained the same two decades on. Up to the end, SY remained unique and progressive.
punkbrokeme is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2017, 07:02 PM   #38
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
the moment i heard that 3 note opening riff in becuz my life changed forever. i think that was 1995. i was 14. i had already picked up a guitar because of my love of nirvana, but i had no idea guitars could make so many different sounds. squeeling jet engines, a choppy ocean storm, it blew my mind. i immediately detuned my guitar and decided to never let 'conventional' music education ruin my creativity. i never bothered to learn to read sheet or even standard chords. i always and still just make sounds that sound good to me. i make electronic music these days but the timbres and textures of washing machine are still there.

Similar experience here. Nirvana begat Sonic Youth for me. And Washing Machine sounded like the Velvet Underground playing the White Album. I was floored. EJST&NS was actually the first Sonic Youth album I bought, but Washing Machine blew my mind.

One of the most lasting things SY taught me was that music didn't necessarily have to be loud or even aggressive to kick fucking ass. Late-'80s/early-'90s kids like myself reckoned with that assumption a lot I think. But SY's palette was so broad and their dynamic range so vast that even a song like "Little Trouble Girl" could qualify as "kick ass." Somehow. And the gentle, dreary "Diamond Sea," which was just a revelation for time the first time I heard it.

This was an important revelation for me. It led to my exploration of non-loud music. Loudness is worthless in and of itself. It's the tone and the vibe and the energy that makes a great loud song great, and SY infused songs in every tempo with an equally compelling energy. So I credit them with a lot. I don't think I ever would have gotten into electronic music if not for SY, for instance. I looked for that same ability to harness energy properly in other artists, and fell in love with Aphex Twin in very short order.

I still look for that quality. A mastery over the motivation behind the music, and a deliberate and knowing appreciation for mood and the power that a properly shifting chord progression, or properly placed sample, can pack. One thing most of my favorite artists have in common is an ability to make ugly things sound or feel beautiful, and that's exactly the type of mood mastery I'm talking about.

SY was heavy as fuck.
Old 09.09.2017, 07:08 PM   #39
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkbrokeme
This is a great line. I discovered so many bands and musicians through SY and their connections. The bands that they toured with plus all the artist on Ecstatic Peave. Mats Gutafsson blew my mind on SYR8 and he led me to so many other great musicians. Plus all the artists and writers that they reference in songs and interviews.

Of all the mainstream alt rock bands of the 90s I believe that SY maintained their artistic integrity to the greatest degree. Their break-up has signified a change in popular music. It seems as if in the last decade or so we've begun to see SY lose their influence among bands. Now rap and electronic music seem to have replaced rock and any band on a major label is 100% a corporate product.

It seems wild that so many people take SY and their influence for granted. They were true artist among a bunch of kids getting record deals. Look at pretty much every 90s alt rock band and they either imploded earlier on or they remained the same two decades on. Up to the end, SY remained unique and progressive.

I thought Flaming Lips might be somewhat near SY's level for the longest time, but now I'm starting to think they're just either stuck, or they've stopped caring about evolving, and have given into the impulse to rest on their laurels. In any case, I think musically they had it in them to pull an SY, and I think they did so for quite a while... until about 2013, really. But now, I think they exist as more of a pop culture institution.

Hope I'm wrong. Hope they make something really thrilling again. Heir music certainly isn't bad (I actually quite like their latest album) but they're nowhere near where SY was with Murray Street and Sonic Nurse
Old 09.11.2017, 12:04 AM   #40
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Similar experience here. Nirvana begat Sonic Youth for me. And Washing Machine sounded like the Velvet Underground playing the White Album. I was floored. EJST&NS was actually the first Sonic Youth album I bought, but Washing Machine blew my mind.

One of the most lasting things SY taught me was that music didn't necessarily have to be loud or even aggressive to kick fucking ass. Late-'80s/early-'90s kids like myself reckoned with that assumption a lot I think. But SY's palette was so broad and their dynamic range so vast that even a song like "Little Trouble Girl" could qualify as "kick ass." Somehow. And the gentle, dreary "Diamond Sea," which was just a revelation for time the first time I heard it.

This was an important revelation for me. It led to my exploration of non-loud music. Loudness is worthless in and of itself. It's the tone and the vibe and the energy that makes a great loud song great, and SY infused songs in every tempo with an equally compelling energy. So I credit them with a lot. I don't think I ever would have gotten into electronic music if not for SY, for instance. I looked for that same ability to harness energy properly in other artists, and fell in love with Aphex Twin in very short order.

I still look for that quality. A mastery over the motivation behind the music, and a deliberate and knowing appreciation for mood and the power that a properly shifting chord progression, or properly placed sample, can pack. One thing most of my favorite artists have in common is an ability to make ugly things sound or feel beautiful, and that's exactly the type of mood mastery I'm talking about.

SY was heavy as fuck.

well said. a clip of bull in the heather was the very first sy i heard. those plucking sounds were so cool i was already a fan. then some of diamond sea and then junkies promise on a late night show. i had to save up a little to afford the WM cd. what a wait. i was a fan before i even heard a whole album. remember those ads from columbia house where you get 10 cds for a penny? i got bad moon, evol, sister, ciccone, and goo all at once. so fucking awesome.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth