Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Why Do I Like Noise?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.18.2008, 10:14 AM   #61
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
What do all these intellectuals from years gone by have to do with noise?
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 10:17 AM   #62
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I tell people I like noise rock because that "noise" best mirrors what I have running through my head at any time. I ahve always loved static, I find it ridiculously soothing, and sleep inducing, just dead static on a TV turned to a channel with no signal. Oh man, I am getting sleepy now thinking about it.
Old 06.18.2008, 10:21 AM   #63
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
who? Each of them was considered a trascendent genius!
and if they lived at any other time they would have been just as amazing. I don;t mean pick up da vinci from italy and de[posit him in the 1800's, bu8t if davinci was born later, and lived through those time slike he lived through his, he would have been just as praised. I have no doubt about it.

Argue about it all you like.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 10:24 AM   #64
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
metal heads have always worshipped at the sabbath teat, NON stop, with no pause, since their inception. it is the mainstream losers, the people who need everything watered down for them, that did not pay attention, and due to sabbath's inherent worth, have to pay attention now.

Again, I can only speak for Britain here, but honestly, in the 80s, Sabbath were way off the radar for a significant section of the country's metallers. During the Thrash period, for example, they were way down the pecking order. The bands themselves may have given the odd nod to Ozzy, et al, but for the average teenager listening to Among the Living or Rust in Peace, they really were just one of those bands their vaguely cool uncle tended to like. I can't say this for America, and I'm even sure that some British posters here might disagree with me, but from my own experience of growing up in Britain at that time and listening to Thrash, I can honestly say that that's how I remember things.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 10:45 AM   #65
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
hey demon, every single thrash/speed metal band constantly gave the highest praise and admiration to sabbath, and every metal fan I ever ran into gave praise to sabbath, the ozzy sabbath, not the dio sabbath.
britain tends to be a more trendy flash in the pan in it's admiration for music and bands, and that may be part of it, but the original black sabbath was always foremost in most every american metalhead's mind, I am sure of it.
Old 06.18.2008, 10:59 AM   #66
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I can't argue with that. America always seemed a bit more 'grass roots' in that respect, atleast compared with Britain. Which isn't to say that having such a grass roots attitude is necessarily that good a thing. Or maybe I just think that because I'm British.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 11:07 AM   #67
sarramkrop

The theoretical meaning of the polarisation of noise has been disputed since the 17th century. Two types of meaning are given to the balance of the noise influx into the appropriated artistic meanderings of the noise maker. This concept is not so hard to grasp if one is familiar with volatile notation.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 11:12 AM   #68
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

sarramkrop is like the noise Buddha
Old 06.18.2008, 11:29 AM   #69
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
America always seemed a bit more 'grass roots' in that respect, atleast compared with Britain. Which isn't to say that having such a grass roots attitude is necessarily that good a thing.

i don't think it's a coincidence that americans tend to take this mindset and that america has been far more consistent in its production of good rock music over the last 40 years
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 12:40 PM   #70
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
The Structures of Scientific Revolutions by Thomas Kuhn

I entirely love you for posting that. Although I'm more of a Lakatos/ Feyeraband kind of guy.

EDIT: and it was entirely appropriate to this thread, although I find it's very difficult to place 'paradigm shifts' within artistic fields younger than a century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2008, 04:35 PM   #71
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan
I definitely disagree. All music has the potential to become popular. While it's unlikely that TLASILA will ever become popular, to say that it doesn't have the potential to do so is just incorrect. The only thing that makes a group popular is the amount of people that like them. While it's unlikely that said group will ever become popular in the manstream, it's certainly possible if the collective concience shifts it's notion of good music to the likes of TLASILA.

People 800 hundred years ago would have thought Picasso to be a shit artist. Art evolves just like everything else.

what youre saying makes no fucking sense to me at all. mainstream music is mainstream because its easily accesible. iannis xenakis made experimental music a long fucking time ago, and its still not popular. or maybe you just have a broder definition of popular than me. either way, this arguement is pointless.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth