Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page William S Burroughs: ALL OUT OF TIME AND INTO SPACE - London Exhibition
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.19.2013, 11:24 PM   #1
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
October Gallery is pleased to present All out of time and into space, an exhibition of the art of William S. Burroughs. October Gallery’s long association with William Burroughs began in 1988 with his second solo exhibition, which was his premiere exhibition in the UK. The founders of the October Gallery have worked with Burroughs since 1974 and for this latest insightful exhibition, collaborate with William Burroughs Communications and James Grauerholz, Burroughs’ long-time associate, editor and collaborator. The show will feature Burroughs’ paintings, drawings and a selection of his ‘talismanic’ art objects’.

Burroughs pioneered incisive tools - ‘cut-ups’- to deconstruct mechanisms of institutionalised control systems that corrupt inborn intelligence. Burroughs’ fiction exposes the techniques of conditioning systems; his art is a personal exploration of intelligence. He developed particular artistic practices to reveal interior landscapes. Then, he would scrutinise his works, sometimes using a magnifying glass, “looking for allies” peering through marks and patterns. For Burroughs, intelligence resides everywhere and human perception is designed to recognise intelligence.

Burroughs aimed to create a mythology appropriate for the space age, and this show’s title references Burroughs’ concern with ecological crisis in the age of space exploration. Burroughs calls himself an “explorer of psychic areas, a cosmonaut of inner space...To achieve complete freedom from past conditioning is to be in space.”
His Planet Earth spins within a cosmic context, a life-bearing planet now affected by sadomasochistic impulses of a humanity conditioned by power-possessors and the advertising industry. Known for explorations of the dark side of human nature and his peerless parodies and satires, this interest in ecology, a core part of his identity, has been broadly overlooked. Burroughs explored the cultural and psychological mechanics of human-instigated ecological catastrophe accompanied by mass extinction of species.
"The processes set in inexorable motion by the Industrial Revolution, with its total commitment to quantity and quantitative criterion, are just beginning to reveal themselves as the Death Trap that they always were."
(The Adding Machine)
Burroughs, as an artist, collaborated with Keith Haring, George Condo, Robert Rauschenberg, and others. His aesthetic has influenced generations of writers, artists, filmmakers and musicians. Although he is often called the father of the Beat movement, Burroughs did not associate himself with the Beats except that Ginsberg, Kerouac and Corso were personal friends. “We’re not doing at all the same thing, either in writing or in outlook.”

In 2012 and 2013, there are major museum shows of his art and work, at ZKM in Karlsruhe, the Vienna Kunsthalle, and at the Hamburg Deichtorhallen / Sammlung Falckenberg.
http://www.octobergallery.co.uk/exhi...ur/index.shtml

Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Some pics I took of this exhibition today.

Old 01.26.2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Old 01.26.2013, 03:25 PM   #4
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
that looks great

[...]

fuck, i need to move to a real city

and thanks for posting the pictures
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

I was only familiar with his ''shot-through'' art,and before I walked into the gallery I had a vague recollection of what it looked like from years ago. His more painterly work is much better than I had expected, and the feeling I left with was of quiet malevolence.
Old 01.26.2013, 03:41 PM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I was only familiar with his ''shot-through'' art,and before I walked into the gallery I had a vague recollection of what it looked like from years ago. His more painterly work is much better than I had expected, and the feeling I left with was of quiet malevolence.

when i saw the photos above my first thought was "spooky... "
Old 01.26.2013, 04:24 PM   #7
gast30
invito al cielo

gast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's asses
cool expo
gast30 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2013, 04:46 PM   #8
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

more pics.

Old 01.26.2013, 04:56 PM   #9
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I really liked ol Bill, but as a WRITER. Just one duclo's opinion, though.....
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2013, 05:21 PM   #10
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
I really liked ol Bill, but as a WRITER. Just one duclo's opinion, though.....

i don't like those lemurs but the faces/masks on that rotten wood look great (and spooky)

personally i like burroughs more as a public figure than a writer proper-- as a public figure, few can touch him.
Old 01.26.2013, 06:53 PM   #11
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
past tense
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2013, 07:15 PM   #12
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
past tense

nah, public figures never die. think of socrates walking around athens. think of oscar wilde being the life of the party. think of abraham lincoln on gettysburg.

okay, more than few can touch william burroughs, but the image of him walking around new york in the 70s with a derringer in his belt is iconic.
Old 01.26.2013, 10:00 PM   #13
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
did you smuggle in a camera or were they cool with you taking pictures?

I tried to take pictures (sneakily) at the Tim Burton exhibit in Australia, and you'd think that I'd caused an international crisis. yikes....
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2013, 10:00 PM   #14
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
ps: thanks for the pixxx
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2013, 02:32 PM   #15
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
did you smuggle in a camera or were they cool with you taking pictures?

I tried to take pictures (sneakily) at the Tim Burton exhibit in Australia, and you'd think that I'd caused an international crisis. yikes....

Some galleries don't mind you taking pictures, some make it quite clear at the door that you are not allowed to take any, and some, like I found out today again while I was at the Serpentine Gallery for Jonas Mekas' exhibition, don't allow taking pictures for specific exhibitions but you can still take some snaps of their permanent collection or works on display in other areas of the gallery.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth