Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café VI
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.21.2017, 08:16 AM   #601
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
thanks
Old 06.21.2017, 10:47 AM   #602
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
News:

Pusha T's King Push will be out in 2017. Produced "mostly" by Kanye.

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2017/06/k...ing-push-album

"It’s mostly Kanye West. It’s good beats, I’m giving you the science! Good beats! Crack!" -- Pusha
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2017, 03:16 AM   #603
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
BIG FISH THEORY is pretty incredible.

Possibly on par with "DAMN.", not even exaggerating.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2017, 08:15 AM   #604
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

haven't heard it yet. But Vince has a pretty insane track record. Starting with Hell Can Wait, then a double album the next year, then the Prima Donna EP.... he's done a really good job of putting out high quality stuff in rapid fire, that all sounds like their own thematic projects rather than just "some more Vince songs" y'know?
Old 06.23.2017, 08:35 AM   #605
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
This is how we cut https://www.facebook.com/ogmagnum1/v...2308880788418/
Old 06.23.2017, 11:09 AM   #606
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I just purchased my CD version and am downloading the free Amazon auto rip MP3s right now. I haven't heard it yet, but I'm pretty excited.

I don't think, based on the singles, that it will be on the same level as DAMN, but that's pretty much what I expected. I've actually cooled off a bit on DAMN at this point. No longer listening to it every day. But I know goddamn well that it's a stone-cold stunner (with a few weak moments... for instance "Loyalty" basically sucks). I just need to give it time and not overdo it.
I still get the I got-I got-I got..." but stuck in my head a lot, and as soon as it plays in my brain, I want to hear "DNA" in full. DAMN is really a great album, and I think its best moment represent the absolute best of what mainstream rap music has to offer. (I'm not saying it's MBDTF or Yeezus or TLOP-level, but it, and Kendrick in general, is the next best thing.)

ANYWAY, I think Vince is still growing, and I think he's one of the few active artists in rap who is at or near Kendrick's level as a rapper and as a presence. I think this album will probably explode (from what I've heard so far, it's pretty goddamn poppy), and I think it will likely turn Vince into a true household name. He'll probably foil the world with a follow-up that sounds nothing like it, and if he does that successfully, that's when he'll be on Kendrick's level.

Right now I'm just excited to listen to this thing.
Old 06.25.2017, 07:07 PM   #607
Severian
invito al cielo

Louder's right — this is a really strong album. I like it very much. I'll probably be listening to it a bunch.

I don't think it's realistically a contender against DAMN. It's an entirely different kind of project and it strikes different chords and goes for different vibes. It's pretty goddamn impressive though.
Old 06.28.2017, 04:08 PM   #608
Severian
invito al cielo

Yo, so I just got my copy of Big Fish Theory, and Vince pulled a Yeezus with the CD packaging.

Check it out:

As a rule, I'm really not a fan of this. I buy physical copies because I want physical copies to stay around. I feel like when I retire I might like to work part time.

at a pressing and packaging plant for vinyl. When I see this kind of shit, I feel like Vince is saying, "Hey, fuck you Severian! Fuck your dreams! I don't give a shit about your retirement!"
Old 06.30.2017, 12:20 AM   #609
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Jay album is out, I pirated it because I don't wanna stay anywhere near Tidal.

My initial impression is that this album is for the critics and the fans. I didn't hear any songs that cater to the radios, instead Jay flows over smooth, jazzy No I.D. production and his bars are introspective.
Old 06.30.2017, 09:48 AM   #610
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Jay album is out, I pirated it because I don't wanna stay anywhere near Tidal.

My initial impression is that this album is for the critics and the fans. I didn't hear any songs that cater to the radios, instead Jay flows over smooth, jazzy No I.D. production and his bars are introspective.

Yeah, I'm liking it even though he disses Kanye right out the gate on "Kill Jay-Z." It's just the kind of album I wanted from him, at first listen, and a good follow-up to the slightly unenergeized MCHG.

That song with Frank Ocean is noice.
Old 06.30.2017, 09:52 AM   #611
Severian
invito al cielo

Oh yah... and here's a post I made in the "What are you listening to?" thread that I want to share here because there seems to be some confusion about who can access the album...

Jay-Z - 4:44

There have been some contradicting reports about who can access the album. Apparently Tidal said it would only be available to Tidal subscribers who either A.) subscribed prior to the arbitrary date of June 26, or B.) use Sprint and subscribe to Tidal -- apparently at any date.

I can tell you that at least for the time being, this is not true. At least not everywhere. I haven't had a Tidal account since The Life of Pablo became available on Mp3 and Apple Music. I also don't have Sprint, because, honestly now, who the fuck has Sprint if they can help it?
But, first thing this morning, I hopped on my phone, re-downloaded the Tidal app, and set up a new account (with yet another 30-day trial period offered to me ) and I was able to listen to the album immediately and without issue.

It would be REALLY STUPID to make he album a Tidal exclusive, only to make it not available to some subscribers based on when they started their account. In fact, it would defeat the purpose of using an exclusive album as a marketing technique, and would simply serve to piss off a FUCK TON of people, who, like normal people, only give a fuck about Tidal when there's a dope new album out and they can only get it on Tidal.
Old 06.30.2017, 09:53 AM   #612
Severian
invito al cielo

Louder:

I think I picked up on a Drake subliminal in "Moonlight" ... lemme know what you think:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY-Z
Look, I know killers, you no killer, huh?
Bathing Ape maybe not a gorilla, huh?
Glorified seat filler, huh?
Stop walkin' around like y'all made Thriller, huh?
Fake Dracos all in the videos

We sure we shoot 'em in my city though
I don't post no threats on the Internet
I just pose a threat, blame Lenny S for that
I don't be on the 'Gram goin' ham
Givin' information to the pork, that's all spam
Please don't talk about guns
That you ain't never gon' use

Y'all always tell on y'all self
I'm just so fuckin' confused
Old 07.01.2017, 01:26 AM   #613
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Louder:

I think I picked up on a Drake subliminal in "Moonlight" ... lemme know what you think:
Yeah, these lines definitely come across as Drake subs. The contrived Thriller comparsions, Instagram posing and dangerous guy acting all point at Drake. Spot on.

On a side note, I really like Magna Carta, to the point where I almost want to say that I love it. It isn't the most serious album, but that's a part of its charm, just an extremely enjoyable, mindless listen with good beats and catchy music.

This new album makes Magna Carta seem like child's play, ha, but as far as Hov's discography goes, Magna Carta will still have its time and place for me.
Old 07.01.2017, 01:28 AM   #614
louder
invito al cielo

Guru tweeted that they're gonna add new songs to the physical edition. Interesting..
Old 07.01.2017, 02:27 PM   #615
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah, these lines definitely come across as Drake subs. The contrived Thriller comparsions, Instagram posing and dangerous guy acting all point at Drake. Spot on.

On a side note, I really like Magna Carta, to the point where I almost want to say that I love it. It isn't the most serious album, but that's a part of its charm, just an extremely enjoyable, mindless listen with good beats and catchy music.

This new album makes Magna Carta seem like child's play, ha, but as far as Hov's discography goes, Magna Carta will still have its time and place for me.

Magna Carta's worst component was Justin Timberlake. "Holy Grail" and "Picasso Baby." I tried to excuse these songs for a long time, but they are JUST NOT FUCKING OK.

All of "Holy Grail" is just a cheesy serenade that should have been chopped off at the fucking neck. And "Picasso Baby" is alright, but it definitely has JT trying to sing a variation on the "Smells like Teen Spirit" chorus, and THAT SHIT IS NOT FUCKING ACCEPTABLE OR OK IN ANY WAY.

The rest of the album is actually fine by me. "Oceans," "Tom Ford," ... oh! "FuckwithmeyouknowIgotit" and "FUTW." All fine. Not, like, awe inspiring, but fine, good, enjoyable songs.

However... those first two are just too fucking ridiculous. Even if the ONLY JT appearance was his Nirvana impersonation, and everything else was totally JT-free, that shit would still be inexcusable. So I have to be, on the whole, anti-MCHG, if only for those songs. The rest is just fine.

Yes, after repeated listens, 4:44 makes MCHG and a lot of other Jay albums look like child's play. It's a very strong album, with good lyrical content and sick beats.

And the physical edition is going to have the track from the teaser video on it!

I'm liking this a lot. I think it's above Big Fish Theory (for no anyway), but below DAMN. in terms of 2017 rap releases.

This is the album I wanted him to make. Actually, Kanye would have produced a bit on that album, and preferably not been dissed, but still. This is GOOD.

He can retire now. Shit is honest to god fire. Really.
Old 07.01.2017, 04:50 PM   #616
louder
invito al cielo

Yes I hate "Holy Grail", always make sure to skip it.

His flow on "Smile" man, Hov is on fire for real.

"Kill Jay Z" is such an incredible opener. Maybe the best intro I've heard all year. Beats out Vince Staples' "Crabs in a Bucket".
Old 07.01.2017, 06:01 PM   #617
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yes I hate "Holy Grail", always make sure to skip it.

His flow on "Smile" man, Hov is on fire for real.

"Kill Jay Z" is such an incredible opener. Maybe the best intro I've heard all year. Beats out Vince Staples' "Crabs in a Bucket".

Yeah, I was just telling someone it's his best opener since "December 4th."

I think "Caught in their Eyes" is one of the finest songs I've heard this year. It actually reminds me of "Champion" a little bit ("Their eyes.... theirs eyes"), and Frank sounds great.

"Moonlight" samples "Fu-Ge-La" to glorious effect. Love it.

There isn't a song I've felt compelled to skip, and I've been listening to this for almost two straight days.

It does kinda sound like a diet-Kanye record in terms of its production. Yeah, I know, it's No ID, so it's natural that there would be some similarities, but I get the feeling there must be a real rift between the two right now, because this album sounds like it's begging for a Kanye executive producer credit.

Still, I'm shocked at how fresh this kind of rap (relatively classic, traditional) can sound when it's done right, even in 2017. This album reels in all the braggadocio and larger-than-life stuff and just presents Jay in his most basic and most elemental. I love his lyrical mindset here. I love the apology track (so sad!), and I actually really like hearing Beyoncé contribute background vocals.

Maybe my opinion will change over time, but at this point ... I honestly wasn't sure he had a record this good in him. There's something really genuine about it. Like Mos Def at his best and brightest, or Kanye back in the beginning. I love it. I can't stop listening to it.
Old 07.01.2017, 11:44 PM   #618
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
There's a "Fu-Ge-la" sample? That's legit. Maybe Jay is finally "rhyming like Talib Kweli" on this one? That's the impression I got from the samples.

On the flip, y'all don't like "Picasso Baby"? That was actually one of my fav MCHG tracks. "I never stuck my cock in the fox's box" and all.
Old 07.02.2017, 04:47 AM   #619
louder
invito al cielo

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...-ideas-w490602

Read this interview, friends.

No I.D. says he pushed Jay to open up on this album. The result, I must say, was amazing!!
Old 07.02.2017, 04:49 AM   #620
louder
invito al cielo

Kendrick tweets:

"4:44. WOW. MASTER TEACHER."

https://twitter.com/kendricklamar/st...61466227757056
282930 31 32333441 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth