Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page A Thousand Leaves.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.04.2011, 07:17 AM   #61
wim
little trouble girl

wim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asses
hi chris,
i'm interested to know which songs (and also to know to which live versions your refer)

i read/heard somewhere that the end of female mechanic was lifted straight from a live recording? don't know if that's true or if i imagined this..

also, i listen to a thousand leaves on CD mostly, it doesn't work well for me on LP, as i really enjoy its length.. (which somehow comes across better when you don't have to flip/change records)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
Actually, thinking about it, any time I post negative comments about this album I'm really just picking on two or three songs. Songs that I really like but don't like the track chosen to represent it on the album. I shouldn't let my disappointment in those songs (expectations based on hearing earlier live versions) lower my opinion of the album as a whole. I did eventually stop listening to live versions of new songs, though.
wim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2011, 09:14 AM   #62
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
I'm the opposite, I think it's one of their best group of songs but that the album itself is not particularly well crafted! (But over the years I've come to appreciate the album itself more and more...I should probably just stop posting about it...)

Actually, thinking about it, any time I post negative comments about this album I'm really just picking on two or three songs. Songs that I really like but don't like the track chosen to represent it on the album. I shouldn't let my disappointment in those songs (expectations based on hearing earlier live versions) lower my opinion of the album as a whole. I did eventually stop listening to live versions of new songs, though.

I think you nailed my thoughts. Remember all those bootlegs from ATL-era where they'd just play these songs as instrumentals (along with a dreamy "Anagrama"?) God! Those shows were so great. And then ATL just sounds... not as good. If they released a live album from this period called ATL LIVE, I'd probably think it was a much better version of the album.
Old 10.04.2011, 10:44 AM   #63
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wim
i read/heard somewhere that the end of female mechanic was lifted straight from a live recording? don't know if that's true or if i imagined this..

you read that on this very site from Chris L himself. (sonicyouth.com/mustang)

" In fact, part of the PBS version was used on the album. SY were so pleased with their performance of it on the Sessions show, they used about half of it on the album cut, splicing it onto the end of what they'd recorded in the studio (the sound is much muddier and hollow than the PBS broadcast sound was, though, which is odd if not intentional...). "
Old 10.04.2011, 07:01 PM   #64
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
I can never decide if this is my second favorite SY album or not (Murray? Daydream?) but it's definitely one of my favorite SY albums, and probably a top 3 of the '90s for me. Every song is great, and that album alone contains about five of my favorite SY songs ever.

Perfect album.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2012, 10:00 AM   #65
woofwoof
little trouble girl

woofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asseswoofwoof kicks all y'all's asses
What's the best bootleg for ATL-era live shows? And no torrents if that's poss
woofwoof is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth