Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Magik Markers: Balf Quarry
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.12.2009, 10:46 PM   #41
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i love this record. i dont want to be debate about it at all, it just rules to me. its like the magik markers have gotten all dreamy sludge blues on us, there are elements of almost every good movement in rock in the last thirty years. a continuation of boss really. drag city did the right thing signing them, because they really are embodying the spirit of royal trux (just less drugs).

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2009, 09:02 PM   #42
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Im not really digging Balf Quarry as much as Boss. Where boss had songs that had more structure to it while letting the chaos grow inside, this new one wanders indulgently and formlessly. Maybe it'll be a grower...
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2009, 09:06 PM   #43
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
They kinda sound like Philemon Arthur and the Dung.

Honestly, Magik Markers are my favorite band.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2009, 12:20 AM   #44
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
I hate resurrecting threads, but I saw them last night and I gotta say I was unimpressed. I still dig them to an extent, but it sounds like they got someone else to play Elisa's parts on the record to make them "sound good." Yeah, I love noise and alla that, but Elisa just kind of spazzes out and presses her thumb down on a random fret and moans. That was the whole show. There were a few highlights, and i still like the new album, but Pete is the ONLY worthwhile asset they have live. Great drummer that guy is. This is REALLY un-punk but after seeing hordes of bands lately who suffer from this: if you're going to try and start writing songs with chord progressions and alla that, it might be wise to learn the actual chord placements for live performance.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2009, 12:45 AM   #45
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Honestly, after a short fling, I got really bored with Boss.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2009, 05:02 PM   #46
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i was away from here for a couple of months.

in all that time i read about the magik markers only once in my whole time away, and it was in the drag city newsletter announcing this album was in stores.

syg is the only place in the world where people actually listen to the magik markers.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2009, 05:08 PM   #47
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
They have one really good record, and that is Songs For Sada Jane. Balf Quarry bored me actually. Never listened to Boss. I can't pretend I've heard their whole discography though, but I've heard some of it and Songs For Sada Jane is the only one that stuck really.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2009, 05:15 PM   #48
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
their masterpiece is road pussy.
blues for randy sutherland is really good too.

the rest range from badly mediocre to stenchful ebola vomit.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2009, 05:19 PM   #49
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Never heard those two. I maintain that Songs For Sada Jane is pretty good.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2009, 08:06 PM   #50
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

Can't we all just get along?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2009, 07:17 AM   #51
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
my favourites are

road pussy
songs for sada jane
in the east
randy sutherland
balf quarry
i trust my guitar, etc
boss
feel the crayon
don and phil
gucci rapidshare download
a pangyeric to things i dont understand
voldoror dance
danau blues
if its not a ford it sux
inverted belgium

ive omitted the ones i dont like......
Old 11.16.2009, 07:16 AM   #52
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
i just saw Elisa with Six Organs the other day
and i must say she was fantastic - superb guitar player i must say
she blew up the place with her solos
bought the new album immediatly and i found it really good
i wonder where i can get all those cd-rs help me out guys!

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2009, 11:24 AM   #53
coolchip
empty page

coolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's assescoolchip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
i just saw Elisa with Six Organs the other day
and i must say she was fantastic - superb guitar player i must say
she blew up the place with her solos
bought the new album immediatly and i found it really good
i wonder where i can get all those cd-rs help me out guys!

write to petenolan@hotmail.com or magikikikik@gmail.com

or check arbitrarysigns.blogspot.com for info on new releases like:

Spectre Folk

Compass, blanket, lantern, mojo

As anxiety encroaches with the cold air of winter thank the stars for the whiskey/weed warmth of Compass, blanket, lantern, mojo --- it flows through you like a liquid howl of light.

Th u r st on Mo or e

For an out-of-it fogie like myself, it’s tough to keep up with the many musical hats our boy Peter Nolan sports. There’s of course The Magik Markers and then there’s Lil Dusty, Spectre Flux, Spectre Folk, Folk Spectre, Cops, etc. I gotta admit I sorta lost the thread on Petes’ musical output for awhile there due to the simple fact I couldn’t keep up with it all. My chrome dome would literally throb with all the names and phony catalogue numbers that must accompany all these sound whims that must fly off his ginger head like bats from a belfry.

Luckily, I put down the Brupenex long enough to catch up with “Compass, Blanket, Lantern, Mojo’, Nolans’ latest expulsion under his Spectre Folk moniker. As expected, the album reeks of the musty homespun psychedelic scent that would make both Al Simones and Uncle Neil Young red as a beet. The tunes are hazy with hope and bobbing audio to spare. Seagulls or rusty bedsprings sound off in the crackly distance on one track and I get a salty taste in my mouth like I licked the third pier boardwalk in Wildwood circa ’79. And check out the track ‘Burning Bridge’ where Petes’ voice soars and wavers like a wounded dove flying to the safety of a clean cage and the awaiting name of ’Walter’. The whole thing is a gorgeous, fully conscious stumble into a self made sunset and it just reminds me of something someone never said to me ‘It’s not over until you declare everyone a loser and paint yourself in a corner’.

Tony Rettman
Guidoville, New York
November 2009

I dig the home-made sounds of Spectre Folk's new 'Compass, Blanket, Lantern,
Mojo' long-player. Burning Bridge, for one, is sure to be the new late
night/early morning/coming down/post-trip/mellow'd out/sitting around a
campfire or by a lake or in a Williamsburg bedsit song. Pure and darkling
anthems for the onset of those long winter nights a-comin'...

Lee Ranaldo
NYC Oct 09
coolchip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth