Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The comic book thread of comic books
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.14.2016, 03:40 PM   #21
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i'd like to check out corto maltese some day.

Wow... visually beautiful, and the stories are something too.
Worth the while.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2016, 04:25 PM   #22
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I hate Tin Tin. always have
Old 11.14.2016, 06:39 PM   #23
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
just got back from Comic Con. I only ended up picking up two comics but they were both pretty big for me...

I got to meet Steve Lavigne and he was really excited about doing a Batman/Ninja Turtles Adventures cover. I was mixed on this series but he was talking about how he loved Batman Adventures (me too!) so I was convinced to pick up this alternate cover version he did and got his autograph.

Deadpool was huge for me as a kid. So the chance to meet Rob Liefeld was super exciting. So likewise, I got this alternate cover of vol. 5 #1 that he did autographed.

Cool about Liefeld.
I guess in my mind he's always been a bit of a ... how to put it... uhh.. well, let's just say I think Deadpool became what he is today as a result of the efforts of numerous writers. When he was created, he was just cool suit. A Deathstroke ripoff with no personality. A response to Image pushing comics into more violent territory in the '90s.

But he's become a cherished and beloved character of mine, and I loved the movie, and I love where the character exists now in the world of comics.

Ps. Did you hear the director backed out of Deadpool 2? That always makes me nervous. Especially with all the shit Wade's been through in the journey from page to screen. But apparently #3 already has the green light, so they must be confident.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2016, 08:47 PM   #24
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Cool about Liefeld.
I guess in my mind he's always been a bit of a ... how to put it... uhh.. well, let's just say I think Deadpool became what he is today as a result of the efforts of numerous writers. When he was created, he was just cool suit. A Deathstroke ripoff with no personality. A response to Image pushing comics into more violent territory in the '90s.

But he's become a cherished and beloved character of mine, and I loved the movie, and I love where the character exists now in the world of comics.

right. I mean, thanks to him - Deadpool exists.

Quote:
Ps. Did you hear the director backed out of Deadpool 2? That always makes me nervous. Especially with all the shit Wade's been through in the journey from page to screen. But apparently #3 already has the green light, so they must be confident.

yeah, we'll see what happens. My understanding is that it was a disagreement w/ RR over the tone. And I think Reynolds def has a grasp on how the character should be portrayed. I'm cautiously optimistic right now.

I read some stuff...

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #1 - holy shit I liked this a lot. More than I expected. Like this juxtaposition of mundane family life balanced with superhero-dom. Great great art. And some classic villains show up. I'm sticking with this one. (There were two short bonus comics at the end which were more silly and didn't do anything for me).

The Avengers #1.1 - I love shit like this. A classic throwback (much like my love for X-Men '92). It even LOOKS old(er). I'm recommending this one to you guys who grew up on 90's Marvel stuff. I'll be sticking w/ the .1 storyline... heck, I might even start reading 2016 Avengers just to have both storylines going at once. And I had planned to skip that one.

Deadpool #1 - this is volume 5 (2016). Kind of a confusing start, but basically there's all these other characters posing as Deadpool and being killers for hire (for good). And Deadpool is famous (since he's an Avengers, at least in the Uncanny Avengers tie-in going on). I'm mixed on it right now, but will give it another issue or two to see if it really grabs me.

Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #1 - eh, I want to like this more than I do. I love TMNT. I love Batman Adventures. But I don't like the TMNT Nickelodeon cartoon that's currently on it - and that's what this is tying into Batman Adventures. It just feels a little too aimed at kids.
Old 11.15.2016, 10:42 AM   #25
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not reading anything MARVEL these days. I am too thoroughly wrapped up in Rebirth to care much what's going on over there.

BUT... I've been recently watching Agent Carter, and that lead me to re-watch Captain America: the First Avenger, and I really do think the Cap films are the crown jewel of the MCU. So I'm somewhat interested in seeing what old Cap is up to since becoming a Nazi/Hydra sleeper agent. Not that that plot line sounds like much fun to me, but still... love Cap.
Old 11.15.2016, 10:45 AM   #26
Severian
invito al cielo

Also, I kind of hate Batman the Animated Series.
Yes, I grew up with it, and yes it made me happy at the time. But I watched a bit of it a couple years ago and ... wow. Lame. The animation was ok for one show but it turned into the go-to animation style for virtually EVERY DC ANIMATED THING EVER, and it just doesn't work.
Old 11.15.2016, 11:02 AM   #27
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
Wow... visually beautiful, and the stories are something too.
Worth the while.
i read about it when i was a kid reading a book that taught people how to make comics.

unfortunately it was 100% unavailable for me living under a dictatorship

i think i should start looking for it in earnest now-- that's for reinforcing this
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2016, 11:03 AM   #28
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I'm kind of the opposite... I have some DC Rebirth stuff that I haven't even started cuz I'm so wrapped up in new Marvel stuff. But that's not shocking either. I grew up heavily into Marvel and then rocked SOME DC stuff. (Batman especially).

First Avenger is probably my favorite MCU movie. Or maybe a tie with Guardians Of The Galaxy.

I'm not reading the new Steve Rogers comic though. I'm not terribly interested in the Hydra controversy plot. Shrug.

I haven't watched Agent Carter yet. Too many shows haha. I'd prob watch Agents Of SHIELD first. But I watched both seasons of DD, Jessica Jones (twice, once alone, once w/ wife) and I'm halfway thru Luke Cage right now; almost done w/ season 1 of Gotham and - I shit you not, I started watching Supergirl and it's fun.

I might not love the look of Batman TAS, but I love the show. And I enjoy those DC animated movies. I liked the take on The Killing Joke a lot actually.
Old 11.15.2016, 11:15 AM   #29
Severian
invito al cielo

Supergirl is fun but extremely stupid.

Marvel has a lock on the tv shows as much or more than they've had a lock on films since Nolan's Batman trilogy ended. Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter are both just really well made. Shield has some seriously corny moments, especially in season 1, but it's grown more and more cinematic in quality and scope. Agent Carter is classy AF.

Daredevil and JJ are great, and Luke Cage was pretty good.
Meanwhile DC has all those CW shows and Gotham, all of which -- though fun -- are more cheese than meat. Gotham is probably the best and even that is stupid beyond compare on a regular basis.
Old 11.15.2016, 11:21 AM   #30
Severian
invito al cielo

Gotham should have been a hard-driving crime show on Netflix or HBO. Gould have focused on Gordan's transition from military life to the war zone of this fucked sprawling nightmare city. Shouldn't have any supernatural or sci-fi crap in it. I like the cast, for the most part, but god it gets tedious in season 2 with all the freaking monsters and shit. Ugh. The absence of that shit, or, rather the assimilation of it into a "real world" model is what everyone loved so much about Dark Knight. NO superpowers. BAD superpowers!
Old 11.15.2016, 11:31 AM   #31
noisereductions
invito al cielo

we're not done w/ S1 of Gotham yet but we're enjoying it. It's our Friday night unwind show. The only show we "binge" (if 4 episodes in a night counts as binging?). It can be somewhat mindless, but that's just fine. That's what Fridays should be.

Supergirl - yeah, not exactly brilliant TV. But again, kind of lighthearted mindless fun.

Things is I don't allocate enough of my time in a week to possibly keep up with all the Marvel/DC shows that are out there.
Old 11.15.2016, 11:47 AM   #32
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I hate Tin Tin. always have

when i was 10 it was great though

only later i woke up to its old-timey portrayal of various "foreigners"

but it's hilarious esp. in the original french. i don't think the word jokes translate so well.
Old 11.15.2016, 12:14 PM   #33
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

jeezus, found "corto maltese: the ballad of the salt sea" on amazon for $50 (!!) bucks.

i've never paid 50 bucks for a comic book. not sure i'm ready to start today.

eta: especially since it appears the reproduction is poor and the panels were modified from the original (wtf people)

but i'll look it up on libraries etc though.

somewhere.
Old 11.15.2016, 12:19 PM   #34
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

holy shit the italian version is on kindle for $7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Corto-Maltese...9230169&sr=1-6

it says "#5" is it a volume? am i missing something?
Old 11.15.2016, 02:12 PM   #35
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
holy shit the italian version is on kindle for $7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Corto-Maltese...9230169&sr=1-6

it says "#5" is it a volume? am i missing something?

I don't know anything about that series, but you might want to check out comicbookdb.com - I've been using that site to keep track of my own collection, and make sense of the various volumes and "re-births" of series to keep things straight when you've got a bunch of comics from diff years that have the same title.
Old 11.15.2016, 02:21 PM   #36
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I don't know anything about that series, but you might want to check out comicbookdb.com - I've been using that site to keep track of my own collection, and make sense of the various volumes and "re-births" of series to keep things straight when you've got a bunch of comics from diff years that have the same title.
brilliant, thanks!
Old 11.15.2016, 02:41 PM   #37
noisereductions
invito al cielo

beware... comicbookdb is such an easy place to lose hours of your life. Haha.
Old 11.15.2016, 08:22 PM   #38
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Corto Maltese
Old 11.15.2016, 08:47 PM   #39
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Getting back to Watchmen tonight...
Old 11.15.2016, 08:52 PM   #40
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

yep, but no site (not even the italian one linked from wikipedia) has info on the italian, 225-page, $7 kindle version.

see, some english translation/reprints had chopped off panels (sacrilege). there are also chopped "pocket" versions it seems.

don't know about this kindle or what's in it. there are no reviews or anything.

i'll just buy it to see and if it's fucked i'll return it

FINALLY, THE LEGENDARY CORTO MALTESE!

better be the right novel... the "look inside" feature just gives you 2 covers lol. i hope it's not a scam.

the original ballad of the salty sea had 161 pages, this is 255. hmm...

the $7 mystery! i'll pay to see that
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth