Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Unappreciated Tod Browning films?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.13.2011, 05:25 AM   #1
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

After first reading The Monster Show by David J. Skal, however many years ago, I became interested in Browning as a person. The man is famous for directing Dracula, and infamous for helming the cult classic, Freaks - a film which got him blackballed from the industry almost entirely.

Prior to his movie making career, Browning ran away with the circus when he was 16, where he worked as a hypeman for freak shows, and later perfected his own act where he was literally buried alive in front of an audience, entitled "The Living Corpse"; eventually performing as a circus clown.

Now, even knowing all that about the man, I still haven't seen any of his films aside from Dracula, and Freaks - NOT EVEN THE LON CHANEY ONES! I was wondering if anyone could possibly enlighten me as to what I should seek out next.

I know someone here has to be more familiar with his body of work than me.

*cough* Demonrail, LifeDistortion, NR, nicfit, etc. *cough*

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2011, 05:33 AM   #2
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Most of his stuff was from the silent era and (from what little I've seen) not especially noteworthy. The only thing I've seen in his talkie period (besides Dracula and Freaks) is Mark of the Vampire, which I'd definitely recommend. I actually prefer it to his original Dracula. Carroll Borland is one of the classic female vampires, and arguably more influential on subsequent vampire movies than Bela Lugosi ever was.

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2011, 05:43 AM   #3
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
The Unknown and The Unholy Three are the only others you really need to bother with, the rest you can easily let go. Extremely interesting director if not only for the subject matter he interested himself with.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2011, 06:03 AM   #4
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks and + rep to both of you.

errr... sorta....

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Count Mecha again.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth