Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page favorite guitarists
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.07.2013, 03:18 PM   #141
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
one of mine is E#
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2013, 03:27 PM   #142
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I've been digging the three guitar interplay in Built To Spill's Live Album. http://youtu.be/_axEmgDoX0E
Old 08.09.2013, 04:31 PM   #143
Christina Carter
empty page

Christina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I am not speaking this way because of gender; I speak this way because I see both of these musicians as "guitar as sound source" players rather than "guitarists."

I have seen Christina do one set that was very good.
I have almost always made a point not to comment on what I consider to be inaccuracies about my music in public forums or articles etc., however in this instance the issue is too important to me to refrain.

The idea that the guitar is, for me, merely a sound source or a means to an end, and that I do not consider myself a guitarist is a fundamental misperception of my attitude and approach to music. The guitar has been my actively chosen instrument for the past 20 some odd years: one that I have developed my own way of playing on. Yes, a technique, or techniques.

Although I have never been interested in developing a way of playing that enables me to replicate others' style, songs, or enables me to freely drop into more conventional playing situations, I consider the guitar to be singular to my expression. And, I have been dedicated to developing my 'craft' as a guitarist. I think the body of my work with Charalambides, and especially solo, bears this out.

I'm not offended by this misperception. I just think it should be corrected.
Christina Carter is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2013, 02:42 AM   #144
Christina Carter
empty page

Christina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's assesChristina Carter kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I like seeing women play guitar too, but I would rather watch the girl from Boris any day over Christina or Elisa. She is more of a "guitarist," rather than someone holding a guitar as a means to an end.

I apologize if my reply gets posted twice and also if this is not as eloquent or succinct as the first, which has not been published as of now. (I don't know if I did not reply correctly before.)

Although I am not offended by this misperception of my attitude or approach to music, I feel it is a fundamental misunderstanding of the same. And although I have generally refrained from making comments on misunderstandings about what I do, in this case it is too important to me.

I do not consider guitar to be a means to and end or merely a sound source. Quite the contrary. Guitar has been my actively chosen instrument for the past 20 plus years. I consider it a singular instrument and irreplaceable in what I do.

It's true that I haven't had any interest in developing the ability to jump into absolutely any music situation with a codified set of techniques and skills. At the same time, I have continued to develop my own way of playing. Yes, techniques: internal translated to the external. I have worked on developing my 'Craft' and dexterity as dictated by my own judgement, mind, physical strength, emotion, ear, etc.

I do consider myself a guitarist. And, I think my work in Charalambides and (especially) my solo work bears this out.

A guitar is not something I simply hold in my hands. It is the extension of particular and dedicated living expression. Chosen and honored.
Old 08.12.2013, 02:53 PM   #145
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Li Jianhong
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2013, 02:59 PM   #146
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
damn. C Carter done dropped some science on the Clone
Old 08.12.2013, 03:01 PM   #147
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

Simply put, even beyond all cliche, Jerry Bear
is the best guitar player ever. Innovative,
technologically advanced, a master of just
about every style, superb use of even the
most obscure chord progressions and scale
patterns. This guy is the gold standard if only
because not only was he one of the most
technically proficient guitarists, but the guy
could simply jam with anybody, and play
anything, no matter how unimaginably complex
or slap-stick simple.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2013, 06:55 PM   #148
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I appreciate hearing your words and take them to heart, Christina.
I was probably feeling particularly crabby when I made that remark and I will say that your set at Pasture Fest was very, very good. I am not a big Charalambides fan but I thoroughly enjoyed that set and I was not expecting to be into it going in.
In any case, a response such as that to an ineloquent and potentially incendiary post on my part is to be commended and I thank you for that.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2013, 08:17 PM   #149
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
no disrespect, but we know thats legit because?

Old 08.16.2013, 11:58 PM   #150
Pinkunicornnx
little trouble girl

Pinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's asses
Lil Wayne is my favourite guitar player. He's better than Thurston Moore
Pinkunicornnx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2013, 02:10 AM   #151
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkunicornnx
Lil Wayne is my favourite guitar player. He's better than Thurston Moore
unadulterated fucking genius, this is. congrats, kind sir/siress.
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2013, 04:20 AM   #152
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
no disrespect, but we know thats legit because?[

I'm willing to believe it is her.

If so, I trust she will become an active member of this board.

Welcome, Mrs. Carter!
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2013, 09:04 AM   #153
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
It was definitely her. I have met her on a few occasions and have seen her "writer's voice" in the past as well. Christina, this is Erik, formerly of Salamander. I made those remarks some great while ago, but you were always very kind to me in the limited interactions we have had with one another and I really do appreciate having any misconceptions being set straight in such an even-tempered way. I shoot my mouth off a lot and sometimes (OK, more than sometimes) I miss the bullseye by a mile and don't really add much to the conversation.
I am very opinionated and enjoy opinionated people in conversation, but I can do better in my rhetorical style and I appreciate being spoken to in a way that actually makes me re-examine things I have said. Thanks for that.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2013, 03:31 PM   #154
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
I've always been a huge fan of Duane Denison's playing

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2013, 04:17 AM   #155
bloodcrystallisetosand
bad moon rising

bloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's asses
Karoli out of Can was excellent as part of a third-mind symbiotic thing but as he's done nothing outside of the band it's hard to tell if he is/was/could be great in a different context.
Keith Levene is a bad ass. Levene, Andy Gill and John McGreogh (Magazine, Banshees) are responsible for a huge swathe of interesting guitar music (in the UK in particular) this side of punk.
Robin Guthrie doesn't seem to get as much dues as he should.
Kawabata Makoto's solo work is vastly underrated - he jams out the kicks with AMT but does incredibly patient, beautiful work under his own name, he's a lot more nuanced than he seems to be perceived to be.
Hendrix is apart from the rest of the blues rock guys because of the jazz, funk and free elements to his playing, and had is set apart from the jazz and free guys by his melodic sensibility.
Tony McPhee is the best blues-based player to come out of the UK, everyone should listen to the Groundhogs.
The older I get, the more I prefer Lee to Thurston.
Carrie Brownstein is one of the best riff writers of her generation.
bloodcrystallisetosand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2013, 12:26 PM   #156
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodcrystallisetosand
Carrie Brownstein is one of the best riff writers of her generation.

You know, the more I think about it, this is absolutely correct!

Old 08.19.2013, 02:10 PM   #157
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I dunno.

Listening to "Get Up" right now.

Is Carrie's jangly thing better than Corin's tough rhythm thing?

I dunno. All's I know is Corin's so under-rated.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2013, 06:39 PM   #158
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I dunno. All's I know is Corin's so under-rated.

that is also true.

Old 08.22.2013, 10:29 AM   #159
Christina Carter
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I'm willing to believe it is her.

If so, I trust she will become an active member of this board.

Welcome, Mrs. Carter!

I don't have anything more to add, except just wanting to affirm that, yes, it is me. And, of course, to thank Erik for his replies.

I won't be becoming an active member of the board. (No disparagement intended to those who are active members.)
Old 08.22.2013, 10:36 AM   #160
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

What I'd like to know is:

(a) How did you find this obscure post from several years ago which only tangentially mentioned you

(b) Really, why go through all this trouble?

Again, no disrespect at all, but its just honestly a bit weird.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth