Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page A discussion about 'regressive music'
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.22.2009, 07:45 PM   #101
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
You've made some fine points, but thats not fair - They're not unmotivated or lazy, they're just doing other things with their lives than drawing pretty pictures. Y'know, like doing a job, raising a family.
You're right. I was more describing myself in that instance. I wish I were an artist, but I'm so lazy it's painful. But yeah, I should give everyone the benefit of the doubt, because more often than not they simply have priorities.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 07:48 PM   #102
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
How often, in proportion to painters, do you hear conceptual, installation etc. artists being described as talented? No often enough, anyway.

You're right that artists not working in paint tend to be fairly heavily stigmatised because of their rejection of a 'traditional' medium. More generally though, I think that the sad fact is that most artists, regardless of whether they're painters, sculptors, conceptualists, whatever, simply aren't all that good at it. I mean, in terms of living artists, there are a vast number that are enormously successful but it's doubtful that many of them will go on to be recognised as being anything particularly special in years to come. Gerhard Richter and Bruce Nauman maybe, but not many others. My point is that anyone can be trained to become an artist, just as anyone can be trained to become a guitarist. And with dedication and the right training, they can probably be quite successful at it, at least on a commercial level. I just don't think you can equip someone with an insight into what they're doing that will enable them to transcend their training and dedication. You can give them stuff and they can absorb it, but what they ultimately end up doing with it is something else altogether.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 07:53 PM   #103
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Damien Hirst is an entertainer. Tracey Emin is still a teenager.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 07:57 PM   #104
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
Damien Hirst is an entertainer. Tracey Emin is still a teenager.

Tracey Emin is an entertaining teenager. Damien Hirst entertains teenagers.
Old 02.22.2009, 08:01 PM   #105
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Haha that's brilliant! Absolutely perfect, spot on!
Old 02.22.2009, 08:02 PM   #106
Lurker
invito al cielo

Ah I can't rep you for it.
Old 02.22.2009, 08:10 PM   #107
Lurker
invito al cielo

I would say most 'art' today is actually entertainment based on this definition of mine: art has to either attempt to be beautiful or attempt to express something (this can be anything, a feeling, an idea, a political opinion etc however complex or simple) or attempt to do both these things at once. A piece of art can also attempt to be ugly/repulsive but only in the occasion when something is being 'said' in it otherwise there is no reason for it - why put yourself through suffering by looking at something ugly that has no aim behind it? Someone like Damien Hirst doesn't do any of these things so he isn't an artist; his 'art' is there as a diversion for the masses; it is an opportunity for the masses for self-congratulatory pseudo-musing. He clearly plucks any random thing that pops into his mind and then gets other people to make it.

EDIT - Failing at an attempt ie creating something shit but still attempting to be beautiful still counts as art as does trying to express something but failing to get it across. It doesn't count as good art though.
Old 02.22.2009, 08:11 PM   #108
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ah I can't rep you for it.

Had I known that, I wouldn't have bothered!

Either way. I can't help noticing that Roberts is raising the bar quite considerably at the moment:

Old 02.22.2009, 08:13 PM   #109
Lurker
invito al cielo

Wow that's a really nice picture, she looks lovely. Don't worry, I'll rep you for it in the future.
Old 02.22.2009, 08:23 PM   #110
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Dude shes the most ugly one!

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 08:24 PM   #111
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
But really talented.

Ha ha.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 08:26 PM   #112
demonrail666
invito al cielo

At first I wasn't actually convinced that it was her so I checked a group picture and, indeed it is.

In terms of Damien Hirst, I tend to think he's someone who has done some great stuff but that his reputation has become almost terminally stained by his media profile. People just don't seem to trust the bugger. In that sense he sort of reminds me of Gordon Ramsey: someone else who seems to have become more famous as a parody of themselves, rather than for what they actually do quite well.
Old 02.22.2009, 08:28 PM   #113
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Dude shes the most ugly one!

PHILISTINE!
Old 02.22.2009, 08:31 PM   #114
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
At first I wasn't actually convinced that it was her so I checked a group picture and, indeed it is.

In terms of Damien Hirst, I tend to think he's someone who has done some great stuff but that his reputation has become almost terminally stained by his media profile. People just don't seem to trust the bugger. In that sense he sort of reminds me of Gordon Ramsey: someone else who seems to have become more famous as a parody of themselves, rather than for what they actually do quite well.

I pretty much only have a negative view of him.
Old 02.22.2009, 09:40 PM   #115
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think I could possibly claim that Damien Hirst is not an artist. I don't like his stuff, nor do I find it interesting or expressive, but if I can't call him an artist then what is he? I believe that an artist is anyone who claims to create art, but in exchange for such a broad definition, I'm quick to say that an artist is a talentless hack.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 11:30 PM   #116
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
I stumbled upon a Valerie Solanas-themed house party once and some chick was seriously advocating resurrecting her to execute Damien Hirst and Jeff Koons.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2009, 07:24 AM   #117
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
I stumbled upon a Valerie Solanas-themed house party once and some chick was seriously advocating resurrecting her to execute Damien Hirst and Jeff Koons.

Sign me up, i'm sure i could come up with a list as long as your arm of further candidates once koons and hirst have been despatched with
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2009, 07:27 AM   #118
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
So what's the fucking message for all those out there that want to express themselves, and 'create'? ...

Practice makes perfect, practice your instrument or your painting style - but you might aswell quit at the first hurdle, the first difficultly you come across, because it just means your not talented. No point carrying on further to see if you get better at it, because if you're not gifted, the more you work at it the more time you waste. Give up. Give up now. Only certain people can create. Nobody knows who these people are, everyone thinks they're someone different. But just give up.

What IS NOT pig-headed about that?

No the point is to do these thing because you enjoy them not because you're on a quest for glory. There is not set path for creating art but to suggest that everyone is equally capable is naive at best.
Old 02.23.2009, 07:28 AM   #119
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Some people are just idiots. Some people are better than others. I'm not a communist.

What's the connection to communism?
Old 02.23.2009, 07:44 AM   #120
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
I may have a good chance. But not likely, granted. But that example is a TOTALLY different ball-game (so to speak!) than what we're discussing here. Firstly, whilst I'd be quite likely to grasp the level of football theory and tactics Beckham has, because all human brains are capable of being taught things at varying speeds, being a footballer has to do with other factors. Physical factors, and all people are physically different, my body might not be (and lets face it, isn't) capable of running as damned fast as he can, I might not have same agility, and my stamina might not last for darting pointlessly around a field for 90 minutes.
Creativity on the other hand is almost totally a mental thing. As I said before all people can be taught to do things, and in the case of drawing, everyone has arms they can freely move around, what more do you need to becoming as "talented" as the people you've always been told are inherently better at stuff than you?

I think what you're saying betrays either that you are uncomfortable with being more capable at some things than other people, or that you are too much of a big head to be able to accept that there are other people who will always be better at certain things than you are, no matter how hard you try, and judging by your responses i'd say it's more likely to be the latter.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth