Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I'm not feeling the love for Brian Eno.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.18.2008, 04:51 PM   #21
Fred Cracklin
little trouble girl

Fred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's assesFred Cracklin kicks all y'all's asses
You're not as likely to be disappointed with these:

Fripp & Eno - Evening Star
Fripp & Eno - No Pussyfooting

David Byrne and Brian Eno - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts (& yeah, I read that you already mentioned that you liked this one)
Fred Cracklin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2008, 06:10 PM   #22
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
ace producer.

great collaborator of robert fripp.

i don't dig roxy music much.

haven't given his solo shit a proper listen.

the one with byrne is pretty awesome, the one with cale is at times good and at times embarrasing.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2008, 07:16 PM   #23
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Over the last few months, I've added some Eno LPs to my collection: Taking Tiger Mountain, Another Green World, and Before and After Science, as well as the David Byrne collaboration My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. Only the last one appeals much to me. I'm not warming up much yet to the other three. For all their rep, I thought I'd really dig these. Will they grow on me?

I share your experience with Taking Tiger Mounatin. Aside from "Third Uncle" which I loved the first time I heard it, I've spent decades liking the album o.k. but not quite getting why I don't love it.

Another Green World, however, I totally love and always have. It's among his strongest ambient albums while being among his strongest vocal pop ones at the same time. I think it might well grow on you.

Before and After Science I also love, and it is interesting as it takes one of his music styles, the ultra catchy short pop song and slowly track by track deconstructs it into his other forte the slow, quiet, ambient direction. Try listening to it with that in mind, perhaps.

Bush of Ghosts I flucuate between liking kind of like Taking Tiger Mountain and loving as a moment of pure brilliance. I can't predict whether it will hit me one way or the other at a given listen. Definitely an impressive foray into electronic beat music for it's day. Sometimes it does feel dated to me, but then others it really doesn't, so go figure.

Here Come the Warm Jets is indeed probably my favorite, but Another Green World is very close. It just depends on the mood and atmosphere.

Eno is one of my favorites on a par with Sonic Youth, Sun Ra, John Cage, and the Sun City girls. He's done enough stuff that I don't worship every second of it, but there is an 80% awe rate overall. I really dig some later ambient stuff like Apollo Atmospheres and Shutov Assembly too.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2008, 07:25 PM   #24
█████████
expwy. to yr skull

█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses█████████ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Over the last few months, I've added some Eno LPs to my collection: Taking Tiger Mountain, Another Green World, and Before and After Science, as well as the David Byrne collaboration My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. Only the last one appeals much to me. I'm not warming up much yet to the other three. For all their rep, I thought I'd really dig these. Will they grow on me?
give another listen to another green world,get here come the warm jets.
█████████ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth