Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page cassettes
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.05.2007, 12:13 PM   #41
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
the long Box fro Danzig's album was so fucking cool looking
Old 11.05.2007, 01:01 PM   #42
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
What bullshit? That people have a preference for one format over another? How is that bullshit?

I can't believe I'm even taking the bait, but go ahead, reel me in.

And I can't believe I'm writing this reply, because most of you have proven highly unreasonable in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
there's people who would love it if we all thought alike and liked the same things.

And I hardly think that max needs to be compared with a fascist, Everyneurotic, simply because he writes credible, known facts about vinyl degradation and the associated storage issues.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...37&postcount=7
Why do so many seem to have such a stong aversion to objective information? It's simple physics. Diamonds are harder than vinyl. Be sure to factor in the heat too of that diamond needle rubbing against the groove at a high rate of revolutions per minute. Which points to the whole reason industrial diamond tips are used on the stylus. Any other material would quickly melt from the heat and require constant replacements.
Case in point: As everyone knows, if you accidentally bump the record arm with even the slightest force you get a scratch on the record. Well, the same thing happens to the groove, albeit to a much lesser extent, every single time you play the record. With use over time, the dynamic sound of the record album becomes compromised as a result of the wear.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2007, 01:20 PM   #43
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
but my "Trees OUtside The Academy" vinyl picture disc is sooo pretty!!!!!!!!
Old 11.05.2007, 01:29 PM   #44
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I buy whatever format is most convenient.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2007, 01:35 PM   #45
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Insitgator
but my "Trees OUtside The Academy" vinyl picture disc is sooo pretty!!!!!!!!

There's no doubting that the picture disc is cooler to have than the regular vinyl, and much cooler than the cd or, of course, the cd-r.

And going back to the previous post, the above is the reason why many collectors prefer the heaviest vinyl available because the groove's integrity takes longer to compromise from wear. And it's the reason why many pro DJs get heavy vinyl and use the best turntable(s) available that are equipped with ultra-thin cantilevers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the long Box fro Danzig's album was so fucking cool looking

Really now, Danzig?
Old 11.05.2007, 01:47 PM   #46
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I was a high schooler re-formed metalhead and man that cover was great, black with the white danzig skullllll

Old 11.05.2007, 01:54 PM   #47
atari 2600
invito al cielo

A brand-new vinyl, preferably heavy grade, is always gonna sound best, provided it's played on good equipment. But unfortunately, one just isn't able to play the record album all that many times before the natural dynamism resulting from the peaks and valleys of the groove starts to get worn.
And sometimes, records somehow start to sound better with a little (but not too much) wear. It's my understanding that real archivists and audiophiles get the vinyl and make copies to reel to reel, cassette, or nowadays, lossless wav copies to cd-r or dvd-r, and play those; and they just store their record albums with the associated care necessary.

Although, as is the case with any medium, there can be serious differentiation due to manufacturer quality, a cd played on good equipment sounds great as well.

On the b-side (flip side), nothing lasts forever anyway. The best medium available is gold-plated cd-rs, and they are expensive.

But if you really love an album, I suppose it's worth the investment to rip the vinyl lossless into the computer and put it on gold-plated cd-r as soon as you buy it.
Old 11.05.2007, 01:59 PM   #48
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I appreciate all formats...I listen to most music in my car, so cassettes and cds are obviously what I use most. Gotta love how cheap used cassettes are tooooooo.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2007, 10:02 PM   #49
nomowish
children of satan

nomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's asses
Recently I've purchased 3 cassettes:
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
P.M. Dawn - Of the Heart... [I'm listening to it now]
Sonic Youth - Goo

I'm willing to buy anything I've ever wanted on cassette that's reasonably priced.

I paid a dollar each for the last two. Bought 'em at a bookstore of all places.
nomowish is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2007, 12:02 AM   #50
touch me i'm sick
expwy. to yr skull

touch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's asses
ooh i want loveless on tape. i have it on vinyl and i love love it
touch me i'm sick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2007, 01:12 AM   #51
nomowish
children of satan

nomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by touch me i'm sick
ooh i want loveless on tape. i have it on vinyl and i love love it

I bought it from a seller at Amazon.com. It sounds unbearable in my dad's mid-90s Nissan Pathfinder. The melodies are really buried and the noise is so loud. But on my stereo and in my mom's [newer] car, it pretty much sounds the same. I'm honestly waiting for the tape to get fucked up in a chopped & screwed way.
nomowish is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 05:01 AM   #52
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i used to have thousands of tapes back in the day and even though a lot of them didnt have lables or just scribbles on them i knew what was on each one just by looking at it (most of the time). they lived all over my room stacked on top of eachother like some kind of brick house about to tumble which they regularly did. i miss my tapes.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 07:32 AM   #53
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
i used to have thousands of tapes back in the day and even though a lot of them didnt have lables or just scribbles on them i knew what was on each one just by looking at it (most of the time). they lived all over my room stacked on top of eachother like some kind of brick house about to tumble which they regularly did. i miss my tapes.

Yeah , sometimes I change my typography just to recognize each one with one glance.

What happened to your tapes??
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 08:02 AM   #54
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
when i moved away they got put in bags and dumped somewhere by my father who doesnt really care about sentimental value etc. i found them again a few years ago and spent hours listening to them and laughing at all the memories i had with them. also years ago my ex spilled lemonade on them all so some where ruined.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 08:13 AM   #55
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Do you still talk to your father?
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 09:07 AM   #56
gohleekwang
stalker

gohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by touch me i'm sick
i've started buying albums on cassette cause they're so cheap. the problem is their terrible quality and they get wrecked really easily.

is their anything you can do to fix a tape that makes the sound all warped and slow?

seem like there is not yet a solution

here is what i do (i m still doing it to keep my 600+ cassette alive):
buy a new cheap cassette walkman or player, use it as a cleaner, play the tape before put it to your regular cassette player.

why it have to new and cheap? new, to make sure it wouldn't eat your tape; cheap, (since it works as a cleaner) so that you wouldn't feel the pain if the tapehead is gone cause by the dust/ whatever from the tape.

play the tape more offen can make it last longer too
gohleekwang is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 09:14 AM   #57
gohleekwang
stalker

gohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's asses
btw, i own a JVC mini hifi date back from 2002, the playback sound of the cassette of the mini hifi significantly sound better then the cd. no bullshit. i leave to one of my pal due to intensive traveling in the past 4 years.
gohleekwang is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 09:54 AM   #58
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
when i was in atlanta, i found "made in usa" on cassette for $3.

i've always read that vinyl doesn't biodegrade, so if one collects records for archival purposes (instead of recreational listening), they should be fine. This is why the US national archive stores keeps archives of music on wax, instead of cd's. cd's break down over time and get scratched if you just look at them the wrong way.

with that said, i'm a fan of all music formats, as they all have their strengths.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 10:22 AM   #59
greenbird
bad moon rising

greenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's assesgreenbird kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
when i was in atlanta, i found "made in usa" on cassette for $3.

I got Sonic Death for $1
greenbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2007, 12:17 PM   #60
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
whooooaaa! i think i may have paid 20-something for it, but it came with "Confusion Is Sex," too.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth