Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Tour Songs '06
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.17.2006, 12:46 PM   #1
Feelyat
little trouble girl

Feelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud of
It's been almost eight years (I think) since the last time Sonic Youth toured as a four-piece. So they're about to hit the road again for the first time in this millenium with this current (classic) configuration. What songs do you think-they'll / want-them-to play?

I think it's about time they start putting some Washing Machine into heavy rotation. I know they've played "Skip Tracer" a few times on the last tour, but how about "The Diamond Sea"? "Washing Machine," "Saucer-Like," "Unwind"? All good songs.

Also, I was wondering what they were gonna do about the Jim songs now that he's not there. Can they still play "Disconnection Notice"? What about "Dude Ranch Nurse"? Are we never going to hear "Unmade Bed" live again?
Feelyat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 12:52 PM   #2
doctor dan
bad moon rising

doctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's asses
id imagine a lot of the recent songs will have to be avoided, or at least drastically changed. stones, for instance, partially revolves around jims part at the end. a lot of the songs with intertwining guitar parts will be hard to reproduce (ie rain on tin/stones/disconnection notice). im gonna guess maybe theell be some washing machine songs back on the list, as they are closest to the bands current style whilst still having 4 parts. also, im gonna hazard a guess that theyd revive some of the punkier songs from around dirty/ejstns era to go with (from what people have been saying) the more song based styles of the new record. OR theyre gonna go in the other direction and play more freeform/ experimental songs from the daydream/sister/evol era to compensate.

i have no idea but im looking forward to it!
Old 04.17.2006, 12:53 PM   #3
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
I just want to hear "Brother James" live. One time. That's all I ask.
Old 04.17.2006, 01:13 PM   #4
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Bar 'Bull In The Heather', I don't think any EJSTNS tunes have been played since 1995, and Washing Machine tunes are a bit rare these days too. Personally, I'd like more Goo and Dirty tracks, especially 'Titanium Expose' as a big closer. That'd be killer.

I suppose the band will dip into ATL tunes though.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 01:23 PM   #5
No Star
little trouble girl

No Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to beholdNo Star is a splendid one to behold
Oh god if they dont play disconection notice i will be so upset. surely a lot of stuff from Rather Ripped will be played this year?

"Whats comes first, the music or the words."
No Star is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 01:27 PM   #6
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
They should play every single song they've written --
Wildflower Soul two times because it's my favorite.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 01:52 PM   #7
mikec
bad moon rising

mikec has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Star
Oh god if they dont play disconection notice i will be so upset. surely a lot of stuff from Rather Ripped will be played this year?

yea, i think so. last tour they played almost all of sonic nurse so you pretty much know what some of the set is going to look like.
mikec is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 02:03 PM   #8
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
only 3 days remaining to revealing latest setlist!!!!

anybody going to Paris show????

who's going post setlist as first???hehe
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 02:28 PM   #9
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
Teenage Riot
Inhuman
Sugar Kane
Mote
Washing Machine
Tom Violence
Candle
Schizophrenia
Old 04.17.2006, 02:46 PM   #10
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHandsOnTheBigOne
I just want to hear "Brother James" live. One time. That's all I ask.

Yeah, I saw them play that once. It really really rocked... It was even better because they played white cross right before it... mmmm... white cross-brother james
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 03:16 PM   #11
doctor dan
bad moon rising

doctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's asses
well the setlists are usually most of the current album, and then about as many old songs. usually 2 or 3 of the songs have extended outros, and the last song always has a prolonged noise section. each tour they seem to unearth a couple of old songs that they havent played in years. last time round, they revived a few sister era songs (PCH in particular), and expressway made a BIG return. that was mainly due to paper cup exit being in EG*EG*EG*, so itll be interesting to see the tunings for the new song.
Old 04.17.2006, 03:35 PM   #12
Feelyat
little trouble girl

Feelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor dan
last time round, they revived a few sister era songs (PCH in particular), and expressway made a BIG return.

Fuck, really? I saw them on that tour and I don't remember them playing "Expressway"! That would've been amazing!
Old 04.17.2006, 03:53 PM   #13
Toxa
100%

Toxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's assesToxa kicks all y'all's asses
I think they will continue to play 'stones' & 'new hampshire' from nurse... also I want them to continue playing burning spear!
Toxa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 04:02 PM   #14
doctor dan
bad moon rising

they played PCH and expressway as the encoure for a lot of the tour (2004), like when i saw them in brixton
Old 04.17.2006, 04:02 PM   #15
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor dan
well the setlists are usually most of the current album, and then about as many old songs. usually 2 or 3 of the songs have extended outros, and the last song always has a prolonged noise section. each tour they seem to unearth a couple of old songs that they havent played in years. last time round, they revived a few sister era songs (PCH in particular), and expressway made a BIG return. that was mainly due to paper cup exit being in EG*EG*EG*, so itll be interesting to see the tunings for the new song.

If i'm not mistaken i think that thurston plays in the the "key of G tuning" (CGDGCD) on most of the new songs, which may or may not have an impact on what other songs they play.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 04:04 PM   #16
Feelyat
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Personally, I'd like more Goo and Dirty tracks, especially 'Titanium Expose' as a big closer.

I think they played "Kool Thing" on the Murray Street tour. It might've been the Nurse tour, but I know I saw them play it and I got really excited, what with Kim dancing about and Lee + Thurston going nuts. It'd be pretty fun if they played some Goo, actually. I'd probably get a much bigger kick out of "Dirty Boots" than I realize. And yeah, "Titanium Expose" is wild. They should totally close with that.

Then do "The Diamond Sea" as an encore.
Old 04.17.2006, 04:08 PM   #17
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxa
I think they will continue to play 'stones' & 'new hampshire' from nurse... also I want them to continue playing burning spear!

it be nice if they still play stones and new hampshire but i dunno if they will, especially stones, jim had a "crucial" guitar part that has some lead lines that really shaped the song, new hampshire jim plays bass, is it a song that could go bass-less... eh perhaps...
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 04:10 PM   #18
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

DoubleNickels ain't too shabby
NYC ghosts and Flowers! PLEASE!!!
Old 04.17.2006, 04:21 PM   #19
SecretGirl13
little trouble girl

SecretGirl13 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I want them to play Titanium Expose too Danny Himself, I yelled it last time I saw SY but it didn't work. When I saw them on the Sonic Nurse tour, I remember they played Kool Thing and Bull in the Heather so they might give those a rest this time round.
Old 04.17.2006, 05:53 PM   #20
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Washing Machine
Becuz
Genetic
Sunday
Chapel Hill
Wish Fullfillment
Disappearer
anything I haven't already heard......

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth