Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.21.2018, 08:45 AM   #22341
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
^^^ yeah, Gook was pretty good. Nice dynamics of an ugly incident story. Good characters, too. Well dimensioned, I especially liked the hip hop Korean brother character.

Regarding Blade Runner (which, by the way, I consider way way overrated) have you fans had a chance to see the tv show Altered Carbon? It really takes a lot of the BR schtik and runs with it. Some is terribly derivative, some seems fairly innovative. It is a gore fest, though...
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2018, 09:54 AM   #22342
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't seen Altered Carbon yet, but it looks like something I'd really enjoy.

I watched the first episode of PKD's Electric Dreams (which was actually like the 4th ep in the UK) though, and I thought it was very cool. It's an anthology thing - like how Black Mirror is where each ep is its own thing. This first ep had Terrance Howard and Anna Paquin, and played around w/ the Total Recall concept. Good stuff.
Old 03.21.2018, 11:00 AM   #22343
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
That is true. Id actually forgotten about that til you mentioned it. VGod knows why jhe thought that was a good idea.
i read some articles about the editing of the movie and apparently the weinsteins demanded cut upon cut. the story was supposed to be an hour longer. i’d like to believe it would have worked better that way, one of my complaints about this movie is that it appears overly compressed

and maybe that cut was a kind of shorthand to make up for something else, or maybe it was supposed to appear in some sort of context and couldn’t so they slapped it together that way.

now that the weinsteins are being sold for parts maybe scorsese can buy it back and reedit xD
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2018, 02:38 PM   #22344
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i rate it about as high as a 70s or 80s movie he did with dinero and maryl streep where they meet on the train and start fucking around on their spouses and it’s a sorta romcom. yeah you don’t remember the name either i bet or what happened.

No such movie exists. Prove me wrong.

Are you thinking of NEW YORK, NEW YORK? That was Liza Minnelli.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2018, 02:40 PM   #22345
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Falling in Love (1984) ??? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087233/
Old 03.21.2018, 03:00 PM   #22346
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Falling in Love (1984) ??? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087233/

OH SHIT! SCORSESE WAS IN IT BUT DIDN’T DIRECT!

lol me

thank you yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
No such movie exists. Prove me wrong.

Are you thinking of NEW YORK, NEW YORK? That was Liza Minnelli.

you’re right you’re right. in my addled mind things were different.

what can i say? memory is poetic and it creates facts
Old 03.21.2018, 04:47 PM   #22347
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Jack Nicholson was fucking great on that film.

Honestly, his performance was the one thing I really didn't like in that film. It just felt like he was hamming it up, and was never anyone other than Jack Nicholson the entire time he was on screen. I know DDL hammed it up in GoNY but at least he did it with a certain virtuosity, and effectively carried that film singlehandedly. Whereas I just though JN was doing his trademark Mad Jack routine, which people seem to either love or hate.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2018, 05:12 PM   #22348
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I remember watching ABOUT SCHMIDT and thinking, "Oh right. Jack's an actor."

It's sometimes hard to remember. In damn near everything else, he's always so...Jack.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2018, 09:44 AM   #22349
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I haven't seen Altered Carbon yet, but it looks like something I'd really enjoy.

It's good. You should check it out. I just posted more about it in the What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)? thread.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2018, 01:32 PM   #22350
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Honestly, his performance was the one thing I really didn't like in that film. It just felt like he was hamming it up, and was never anyone other than Jack Nicholson the entire time he was on screen. I know DDL hammed it up in GoNY but at least he did it with a certain virtuosity, and effectively carried that film singlehandedly. Whereas I just though JN was doing his trademark Mad Jack routine, which people seem to either love or hate.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

It's Jack Nicholson being Jack Nicholson. HOW can that be a bad thing?!

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2018, 01:55 PM   #22351
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

lol no

Quote:

the answer was already here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Yeah, I remember watching ABOUT SCHMIDT and thinking, "Oh right. Jack's an actor."

It's sometimes hard to remember. In damn near everything else, he's always so...Jack.

about schmidt was great
Old 03.22.2018, 01:57 PM   #22352
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
my wife loves About Schmidt. after years of trying we finally watched it. I found it "meh." Didn't give a flying fuck about their bullshit problems.
Old 03.22.2018, 02:01 PM   #22353
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
my wife loves About Schmidt. after years of trying we finally watched it. I found it "meh." Didn't give a flying fuck about their bullshit problems.
lolwut?

who is the their you’re talking about here?

also, “problems” aside, it was hilarious!
Old 03.22.2018, 02:07 PM   #22354
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

the main characters. the road trip. the retirement. that shit plays hard to ancient academy of Motion Pictures voters. They love that bullshit.
Old 03.22.2018, 02:19 PM   #22355
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
the main characters. the road trip. the retirement. that shit plays hard to ancient academy of Motion Pictures voters. They love that bullshit.
did you... miss the satire?
Old 03.22.2018, 05:30 PM   #22356
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Annhiialation...well, not exactly like the book, but a good effort. The art department obviously had a good time with it. A few of my thoughts on the first time thru (def will watch it again some time). Soundtrack good and bad. I didn't at ALL like the folk guitar and CSNY being included, but some of the Eno-esque atmospherics were OK. Too much standard military reactionary in it. When in doubt, add an AR15.... Not at the right times, per the book either. And a bit too much of the gore, too, not like the book there, either. But most of the acting was good, Natalie Portman is excellent, Issac OK and JJ Leigh was about right, too. Rodrigues, NO. Not a good fit.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2018, 09:06 AM   #22357
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
did you... miss the satire?

satire? All I saw was a boring fucking story about a loser and his fucking relationship problems. I hate those kinds of movies. I find them pointless suffering and not funny.
Old 03.23.2018, 09:27 AM   #22358
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
satire? All I saw was a boring fucking story about a loser and his fucking relationship problems. I hate those kinds of movies. I find them pointless suffering and not funny.
noooo! you were supposed to laugh! lololol

unless you sell water beds—then it’s serious business

the story wasn’t pointless. the characters were. the story was about the futility of the average american life, a critique of normality, the emptiness of suburban life, the ridiculousness of being an emotional incompetent, of following along what you’re expected to do,. etc. etc. “everything that you’ve done all your life is shit”. get a mouthful of ashes.

the movie had a philosophical point, which was a critique of middle class values and conformity. all done with great bitterness and irony. and yes, the point is made through characters and “relationships,” but “relationships” are not the point of the movie— this wasn’t a soap opera at all. this was a red hot poker up middle america’s ass.

anyway, not your kind of movie, i get it, but i just wanted to defend the movie from what i see as a mischaracterization.

as for the movie’s real weak points, i’d say maybe it looks down too much on its characters and fails to recognize the potential virtues of the culture it portrays, but then it would not be a satire, but something else.
Old 03.24.2018, 08:28 PM   #22359
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Beerfest, yo.
Old 03.25.2018, 11:14 AM   #22360
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
618101810681108111511161117 1118 111911201121112811681218 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth