Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Story of Jasper Murphy
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.14.2010, 12:56 PM   #1
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
[[[[[[[[[The invention of the Real Man and the Real Woman is enshrined in the economy.* For as long as someone has to work all week to get a wage, to survive, and for as long as we have babies that have to be looked after, someone else has to work in the home, and bring up babies for free.* At the moment, most of the time, the man works full time and the woman works for free in the home.* It's the unpaid labour that keeps the whole system running.* Take it away, and the whole thing collapses.* But that won't change by messing around with gender, or by swapping it around and turning the patriarchy into a matriarchy, or mixing it up, or by taking turns... or by paying another woman minimum wage to do the job instead.* For as long as this system keeps going, someone has to work in the home for free. And this is one of the most fundamental injustices the forms the foundation of our economy.* As much as transgendered people might highlight that these are not two unchanging natural roles, a liberal plea for tolerance is not the force that will bring it down.]]]]]]]]]]
I want to come back to this idea that we need to, as a society, as a community, be better at gender.* The transition from one gender role to another is not just about surgery, in fact surgery plays a very small role in it.* For the most part, transition is social, because gender roles are social.* As I mentioned before, I lived for 12 years as male without any surgery or hormones whatsoever.* I now fit into the category of male because people call me he and regard me as male.* The fact that transition is social seems to be lost on most people, when someone comes out as trans, people tend to wait until that person is manly, or womanly, enough to convince them.* The onus is put on the trans person to act like a man or act like a woman just to have their identity respected.* This often means, that for transmen, we are rewarded for acting like macho idiots, for only then will people respect our identity.* It should be everyones responsibility to respect someones identity, to play a part in the journey to becoming comfortable in their skin.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth