Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page the gossip
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.09.2009, 07:32 PM   #181
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
I like notyourfiend.

right back at yah!

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2009, 07:39 PM   #182
Seandi
stalker

Seandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's asses
people get real passionate about horrible music
Seandi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2009, 03:03 PM   #183
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
so, apart from trite slogans like ''the personal is political'', is there anything else to be discussed on this thread?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2009, 03:10 PM   #184
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
music for men is pretty good
Old 10.11.2009, 03:13 PM   #185
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
so, apart from trite slogans like ''the personal is political'', is there anything else to be discussed on this thread?

I'd be interested if you had any thoughts on the differences between American and European political music, beyond what you've said already in this thread. Personally (which is politically) speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2009, 03:31 PM   #186
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Politics in European music always struck me as being mixed with the effects that descriminatory policies have on the personal, if we're talking songs with lyrics. Then you have bands like like Plastic People of The Universe, where lyrics are absent altogether, yet they are a highly politicised band. I think in Europe in general there is way more a tradition of non-musical protest, therefore the graphic sloganeering present in, say, your Bob Dylans etc, tends to be more filtered through the results of injustice. On the other hand you have the right wing bands, though, and they spout the sort of hatred, in a clear lyrical manner, that is expected of them.
Old 10.11.2009, 03:48 PM   #187
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

unless we refer to what you mentioned earlier about bands that take the American way of musical protest as a model. And that is a popular way in Europe too, these days.
Old 10.11.2009, 04:45 PM   #188
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'm not sure how much of this is directed at me, but I think it's really important to not assume that my dislike of Fugazi is the same as not liking political music.
I believe it's indirected at me, if anyone.

However, I think I really look for something very different from music than notyourfriend by not knowing how music and politics go hand-in-hand. I wonder where this assumption comes from, that because politics is not an element of taste in music, that politics is not an element of my life in any other capacity.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2009, 05:56 PM   #189
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Not sure I follow you Bradders - you're saying you don't understand how music and politics go hand-in-hand - do you therefore understand politics to be a rarified field distinct from artistic endeavour?

I find it very odd that you, of all people, would consider politics to be something distinct from other areas of understanding. I'm not criticising, just... well, I'm not sure what you're saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2009, 06:41 PM   #190
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Not sure I follow you Bradders - you're saying you don't understand how music and politics go hand-in-hand - do you therefore understand politics to be a rarified field distinct from artistic endeavour?

I find it very odd that you, of all people, would consider politics to be something distinct from other areas of understanding. I'm not criticising, just... well, I'm not sure what you're saying.
Well, no, I think that is a misrepresentation of my opinion. I meant in my first reply on the subject to explain that I believe that it is a matter of ethical sentiment that connects music to politics. Political music that lacks an ethics also lack a pathos. As it were, my taste in music is centered around pathos, which might be why I am such a prick against objective criterias of quality. In what might be complete contrast to the slogan that "the personal is political," I believe that the political in relation to the individual is the making of the personal into the impersonal in order to influence other persons. I think the value of music on politics is its ability to articulate sentiment in a way sloganeering simply cannot match. Artistic endeavor that engages in the political (with the ethical sentiment as an assumed premise) is entirely possible but I think it fails both as an artistic endeavor and as a political endeavor.
Old 10.11.2009, 08:28 PM   #191
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
^^Why I usually ignore most of your posts.

:-)
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2009, 09:02 PM   #192
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
what. there is a way to try and deny or ignore it, but there really isnt a way to live in which politics is not influencing your life.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2009, 09:08 PM   #193
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
^^Why I usually ignore most of your posts.

:-)
Fair enough.
Old 10.11.2009, 09:10 PM   #194
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
what. there is a way to try and deny or ignore it, but there really isnt a way to live in which politics is not influencing your life.
Are you replying to anyone in particular or just stating the fact?
Old 10.11.2009, 10:28 PM   #195
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
To put it in simple terms I like music that moves me. Therefore, I often relate to music with political messages that I relate to/agree with.

Old 10.11.2009, 10:37 PM   #196
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
I probably said this already (so gag me), but I tend to veer towards tracks without vocals.

At this point, when things are political, I feel like its not so much political as much as preaching to the choir. That can serve its own purpose, but it's fucked when terms like radical and urgent get associated with anything of the such. I dont think that kind of music ever changed any minds so much as revved up opinions that already existed.

"that kind of music" can certainly vary. To be broad, I think the first thing that comes to mind is rage against the machine and anything riot-grrl related.

They dont even try to relate to anyone outside of their own group. Which is fine, for their own group. Get all excited, and stuff. Its a cultural thing, and thats awesome.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2009, 10:47 PM   #197
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

the ppl who were involved w riot grrl recongized that one of the reasons the movement failed was because they were having a difficult time getting the message out to others outside their own community. a part of that is because the media totally spun it around...but that's a whole other story.

that being said, even if you are techinically speaking to the crowd, music can still provide a sense of solidary which can be just as important.

Old 10.12.2009, 09:35 AM   #198
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Are you replying to anyone in particular or just stating the fact?

im just saying.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2009, 01:49 PM   #199
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I would just like to say that, hetronormativity or not, I fucking love Tatu. I even have the Russian-language versions of their albums.

Thanks Glice, I really need that daily dose of pop shit pandering from you IN EVERY FUCKING THREAD
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2009, 02:07 PM   #200
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Look, girls, on one hand knox says that she is not being too serious, on the other notyourfiend would like more serious discussion about.....about what, exactly?

knox also has this way of prefexing a reply to her posts by someone who challenges some of her ideas with ''you want to have a discussion with me'', ''well now we'd engage in a horrible long discussion on what is "alternative". but we won't'' etc, which makes me think that when another poster's opinion is in clear contrast with hers, she suddenly tries to save her face by saying that she's bored, she has work, she's not being serious, and allthat crap.

That is no way to spark discussion. If you want to be listened to, you also need to listen to others. Yeah?

Quote:
Oh ok. Now I am seriously bored of this. Have a good day.

Quote:
Listen, it is getting a bit boring for me...

Yeah, Knox has a problem with that. You are boring.. all of your posts are basically retarded. You aren't actually trying to discuss whatever the fuck this thread is about, obviously

Quote:
On SY's politics - I think the thing is, the band who wrote Confusion is Sex are a different, much more politically charged band than the one who crafted the Eternal. Again, I don't really believe that something like 'Youth against fascism' really says much - there are scant few white 'alternative' bands that don't oppose the vague cache-all term 'fascism'.

Well, I think that "Anti-Orgasm" has some politics in it. Also, sure most bands might be "against" fascism, but they don't write songs about it. And do you even remember the lyrics to that song, because it talks about a lot of political issues that were going on at the time.. almost like it was an effort to get their fans to look it up and see what was going on in the political world at the time.

And of course you would post a link to Miley Cyrus. How is that any different or better from any punk band that you hate, beside the fact that it's a shitty pop song with terrible singing and lyrics that are even worse than anything by the millions of Black Flag wannabes that churn out similar garbage?

Quote:
The other thing is, I've never known anyone that wasn't white and a bit middle class who was into Fugazi. Shouting about social injustices to the most priveleged teenagers in existence, in one of the richest countries in the world strikes me as whole heap of pointless.

Well that depends on whether they get those kids- who are the only ones who can change anything, since the privileged are the only ones who can really affect change- to do anything about it or change their ways.

And notyourfriend is right, almost all punk was middle class.

I've never listened to Fugazi and don't plan to.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth