Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sunn0)))
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.21.2006, 11:26 AM   #1
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Sunn0))) is great, I just got "Black One" not too long ago, and they're still growing on me. I would love to see them in concert. It's a very interesting musical style that they produce, similar to Khanate, Goatsnake, WRAITHS, and Boris' older stuff. Does anybody else like them? And does anybody know other similar bands?
Old 03.21.2006, 11:35 AM   #2
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
yes i like em. they toured with earth recently. did you not know?
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 11:36 AM   #3
MELTEDMAILBOX
empty page

MELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's asses
checkkk out skullflower (totally different... but still similar).

also check out this series: www.meltedmailbox.com (all psyche/noise vinyl singles club)
MELTEDMAILBOX is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
yes i like em. they toured with earth recently. did you not know?

Yeah, it was on the SouthernLord site and I wanted to kill myself for not going! I wish they came around where I live in Canada. As for Khanate, my brother brought them to Ottawa, and he got to meet them which was pretty neat.

Thanks for the recommendation Meltedmailbox, I'll check them out. I've heard about them before, just never got a change to check them out. How was No Fun Fest by the way?
Old 03.21.2006, 11:45 AM   #5
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
I wonder how the WHITEbox will be priced. Also the upcoming one with Boris must be great.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 11:46 AM   #6
MELTEDMAILBOX
empty page

MELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's assesMELTEDMAILBOX kicks all y'all's asses
it was pretty amazing... no fun is seriously unfuckwithable. & in case the youthfans are curious -- the thurston keffer set was face-shredding .
Old 03.21.2006, 11:51 AM   #7
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
I wonder how the WHITEbox will be priced. Also the upcoming one with Boris must be great.

Yeah I heard that the new Boris CD "PINK" has a completley new style than the older ones. It's faster-paced. I had a live video of them a while back of one of their concerts after they released Pink, and it was insane. I wish I still had it, I would Yousendit or something. That reminds me, I think Chris Habib should make a Non-Sonic Sharing, for sharing of media not related to sonic youth.

Haha, way to rub it in Melted! That's good that it was enjoyable. You only got to go the second day, correct? Did Stephen O'Malley play that day?
Old 03.21.2006, 11:55 AM   #8
MELTEDMAILBOX
empty page

naw... i was at night 3. i was supposed to hit night two also.. but a dub/roots night mixed with anti-noise out-of-town friend being in-town made it only possible to hit 3. i got my revenge i forced him to hit night 3 with me. the terror on his face when we walked in the door was priceless.

in case you care.. the dub/roots show night was also totally amazing!

o'malley was night two though.. missed it.
i saw boris a few months ago -- totally spot-on!
Old 03.21.2006, 12:00 PM   #9
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELTEDMAILBOX
naw... i was at night 3. i was supposed to hit night two also.. but a dub/roots night mixed with anti-noise out-of-town friend being in-town made it only possible to hit 3. i got my revenge i forced him to hit night 3 with me. the terror on his face when we walked in the door was priceless.

in case you care.. the dub/roots show night was also totally amazing!

o'malley was night two though.. missed it.
i saw boris a few months ago -- totally spot-on!

Sweet! At least you got to make it for the 3rd night. My brother's into lots of dub, and I'm starting to get into it as well. I like King Tubby, he was apparently one of the primary foundations of dub. I should dig out my old Soul Jazz CD's and listen to them, I have Studio One Roots and a few others.
Old 03.21.2006, 12:12 PM   #10
MELTEDMAILBOX
empty page

yesss... their roots collection is one of my favorites (of those souljazz studio one comps).

king tubby's studio had some of the besssst dub stuff. picked up a yabby you meets trinity (at king tubby's station) lp last night... fucking rules.

jamaica '65 - '83 is my lifeline (when i am not psychedelic noise-ing -- i am psychedelic soul-ing with my heart in jamaica).

i should not encourage anyone to buy anything that isn't a www.meltedmailbox.com subscription... but: www.ebreggae.com (ernie b's reggae) is kind of like the wal mart of reggae. they have cheeeeap prices & a pretty great selection.

if you live in NY -- definitely check out JAMMYLAND -- all jamaican (and actually the Hospital Productions shop -- prurient's noise store -- just opened up directly underneath JAMMYLAND)!!!
Old 03.21.2006, 12:15 PM   #11
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I'm seeing them again in a couple months. Last time was amazing, and this time Boris is with them!
Black One is great, a more multidimensional release for them.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 12:47 PM   #12
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
Yeah I heard that the new Boris CD "PINK" has a completley new style than the older ones. It's faster-paced. I had a live video of them a while back of one of their concerts after they released Pink, and it was insane. I wish I still had it, I would Yousendit or something. That reminds me, I think Chris Habib should make a Non-Sonic Sharing, for sharing of media not related to sonic youth.

not if you heard stuff like 09042001 or their shorter songs on splits and stuff

also, i already asked chabib to put a "rules" of sharing sy and non-sy stuff on the faq section of the board

isn't it funny that black one is the album that's breaking sunn o))) to the "masses"? since, after the whites, it's a return to the heavier stuff. it is a more multidimentional release, kinda like a more expanded and deeper flight of the behemoth

hope they don't go over board with the white box

similar bands:
asva
jesu
ocean
goslings
some late 80's/early 90's melvins

also, try some of the softer/more psychedelic drone stuff
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 12:50 PM   #13
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Thanks Everyneurotic, I'll check them out as soon as I get home
Old 03.21.2006, 03:25 PM   #14
Thomas Moronic
bad moon rising

Thomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's asses
I managed to see Sunn))) and Earth play in the UK last month, they were amazing. Earth are one of my favourite bands but Sunn0))) completely blew them off the stage.
Thomas Moronic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2006, 04:45 PM   #15
trance feeeedback
children of satan

trance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's asses
man, i hope i can see them live one day. i have heard lots of weird stories about live sunn o))) concerts, like the making people go to the bathroom myth. but my favorite story is that at one concert some guy sat down and meditated through the whole show, sunn o))) is good meditation/trance music.

"sound is god"-Ravi Shankar.

FREE TIBET!
trance feeeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 06:49 AM   #16
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
This topic is probably dead but check out......

Godflesh (more industrial but not in a lame way)
Sleep (Jerusalem or also released as Dopesmoker is one 52 minute doom epic about the Weedians journey to the riff filled land, my top 10 albums ever)
Whitehorse ( Australian Doom band, much like Khanate http://www.getonthehorse.com/whitehorse.htm)
Onani Nic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 08:15 AM   #17
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
i posted a thread about this but i'm still wondering what does sunn 0))) sound like?can someone please send a link or something
Old 03.26.2006, 09:05 AM   #18
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
trasher02, look in your thread you numbskull
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth