Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped is a GW Editor's Pick
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.01.2006, 10:34 PM   #1
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
From Guitar World magazine, August 2006:

"Some 25 years since their chaotic debut, Sonic Youth continue to find new ways to make unconventional tunings, dissonant musicianship and jarring arrangements irresistible. Rather Ripped, the group's 16th full studio album, combines the icy dreamscapes and haunting exorcisms of 1988's Daydream Nation with the more accessible song structures of 1990's Goo. Whether relying on clean, chiming chords and single plucked notes ("Incinerate"), eerie natural harmonics ("Do You Believe In Rapture?") or rock-out riffs and weird distorted licks ("What A Waste"), Sonic Youth demostrate rock's endless possibilities.

-Jon Wiederhorn"

Let the "Oh Yeah? When Was The Last Time They Were In The Magazine?"'s, "Posers! Everyone's Pretending To Be Indie These Days!"'s, and the "So Why Don't They Feature Bands That Actually Sound Like Them?"'s begin.
GeneticKiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2006, 10:37 PM   #2
John Violence
the end of the ugly

John Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's asses
I have some pictures of Sonic Youth up on my wall when they interviewed them during the NYCG&F days. Good to see ya Genetic.
John Violence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2006, 10:47 PM   #3
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I know I said I was leaving, but just afterwards, I decided to start posting again...

Weird huh...
Old 06.01.2006, 10:48 PM   #4
John Violence
the end of the ugly

John Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Yeah, I know I said I was leaving, but just afterwards, I decided to start posting again...

Weird huh...

Yeah thats how internet crack works.

For the most part Guitar World does blow.
Old 06.01.2006, 10:57 PM   #5
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
ahh guitar world, how a remember when thee were good. (and spare me the "it was never good blah blah" rant, use your finger power for something more productive)

that article john violence talked about was the one that got me interested in goodbye 20th century and sort of got me out of the "sy are pretentious boring snobs" way of thinking. plus, gw deserve props for publishing an interview from one of sy's least commercial eras.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2006, 11:01 PM   #6
John Violence
the end of the ugly

I'm not gonna say it was never good because I have only been getting them off and on for the past five years. I don't know if it was in guitar world or not but I remember there was another interview in a guitar mag when Murray Street came out.
Old 06.01.2006, 11:05 PM   #7
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Violence
... I don't know if it was in guitar world or not but I remember there was another interview in a guitar mag when Murray Street came out.

must have been guitar player, i have all gw issues from 2002 and not a mention on teh sonic youth.

gw used to be incredibly solid from like 1996 to roughly 1999 (i mean roughly, they put kid rock on the cover in one), then they started to embrace the whole horrible emoscreamohardcoresadcore metal (with a brief detour on horrible nü metal) and talk nothing but sweep picking and string skipping like if it was 1986 all over again.
Old 06.01.2006, 11:13 PM   #8
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

To be quite honest, the rest of the issue is a bit weak; hell, it's got Tom DeLonge (although I have to say I kinda liked some stuff off blink 182's last album) and Jade Puget from AFI, calling them "The Shape of Rock to Come!"...

I mainly just read GW for the gear reviews anymore anyways.
Old 06.01.2006, 11:18 PM   #9
SolidZach
children of satan

SolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentata
i hate GW

SolidZach is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2006, 11:21 PM   #10
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Guitar World would dedicate every magazine to the memory of Dimebag Darrell if they could, his fans comprise of over 70% of the readership, and they should give Vinnie Paul a xmas ham everymonth for keeping them in business

you have no idea how good a xmas ham tastes on a hot summer night
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2006, 11:23 PM   #11
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
In 1990, Guitar World did a 1980's recap issue. They named Daydream Nation the #16 guitar record of the decade and Thurston one of four "guitarists who will matter" in the 90's, along with Vernon Reid, Reb Beach and someone else. That was the first time I heard of SY and I was immediately intrigued.
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2006, 11:32 PM   #12
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah Guitar World used to be great....seems like there always was a copy of that laying around in my friends basement where we practiced circa the Nirvana/Soundgarden era. I always liked looking through it and I remember it had some really awesome interviews and pictures. I don't think I've looked at a recent issue for like 8 years or so.
Old 06.01.2006, 11:42 PM   #14
John Violence
the end of the ugly

Dime was an amazing guitar player. I got the chance to meet him at NAMM 2003 and he was the nicest guy.
Old 06.01.2006, 11:51 PM   #15
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Not only was Dime an awesome guitar player/huge influence to metal, but he was a good guy who you can tell genuinely loved music and playing it....especially in comparison to Phil (just look at the picture above). Phil was a dick (obvi). Dime could have existed without Phil much more than Phil being able to exist without Dime I think.
Old 06.01.2006, 11:54 PM   #16
Dan
bad moon rising

Dan has tongues queuing up for a rim-festDan has tongues queuing up for a rim-festDan has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
I bought a Guitar World once. It had an interview with Ian MacKaye. It was the punk rock issue or whatever and had Tom Morello teaching you how to play "Kick Out the Jams". The interview was ok I guess.
Dan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2006, 11:58 PM   #17
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

i almost got beaten up by phil anselmo's bodyguard because i asked for and autograph an picture.
Old 06.02.2006, 12:27 AM   #18
umjammer atomsk
the end of the ugly

umjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's asses
I bought a guitar world when I was in my huge-o nirvana fandom and it sucked. Haven't paid attention to it since. I have a strong dislike of dimebag darell as well so that doesn't help the situation much.

umjammer atomsk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2006, 01:24 AM   #19
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
To be quite honest, the rest of the issue is a bit weak; hell, it's got Tom DeLonge (although I have to say I kinda liked some stuff off blink 182's last album)

I mainly just read GW for the gear reviews anymore anyways.
i used to love blink 182. chesire cat and dude ranch were real good. the newer ones have some good songs, but to me cant compare to the old stuff.
alotta people on this forum probably dont like them. but he fact is: i have a blink 182 poster right behind my computer

i was going through some of my dad's old guitar mags, and i came across one that had an article about 'a thousand leaves' and sonic youth's guitar tunings. i dont remember what magizine it was though
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2006, 01:48 AM   #20
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Dimebag is the man. R.I.P

#I wanna fuck a dog in the ass#

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth