Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Favourite moments in recorded music?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.19.2007, 05:34 PM   #81
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
The awesome riffage in 'The Bulbs of Passion' off the first Dinosaur album.

When the song breaks to J's singing in "Forget The Swan", from the same record.

The pedal steel solo from "Father to a sister of a thought" by Pavement.

The harpsichord opening to "Diamond Bollocks", a bonus track for 'Mutations' by Beck.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2007, 07:23 PM   #82
Cardinal Rob
the destroyed room

Cardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's assesCardinal Rob kicks all y'all's asses
Around 4:40 on Kayo Dot's 'The Manifold Curiosity', when the cascading and mellow acoustic guitar reaches top speed, with a sound of guitars coming in that holds up a framework for the most heart-wrenching piccolo solo possible. I'd liken listening to that part of the song to seeing the person you adore after being parted for a long period. Later on in that song from the eigth minute to the end (starting at the point when the violins slither in with such effeminate charm) there is another extremely powerful feeling that takes hold of me; all pain and worries cease to exist for as long as the song goes on and I feel at one with God. In love at least.

Then there's '___ On Limpid Form', in which Toby stops singing, the band stop, and start again on a very slow doom tempo using clean chords. Eventually you get several minutes and you reflect back to this part of the song and realise how much has been added - the song is now a nightmare - percussion-heavy, screeching feedback, aural black holes.

The final chorus of 'Cemetry Gates' in which Morrissey becomes pretty passionate.

The first minute of Behold... the Arctopus' 'Sensory Amusia' which uses up more ideas than most bands come up with in their entire being.

The final movement of Part 1: The Adoration of the Earth on the Rite of Spring in which the horns scream.

The ever-stoned World Domination Enterprises' vocalist singing, "Stop stealin' and fiiightin'" on their version of Asbestos Lead Asbestos.

The "I think it's so groovy now, people are finally getting together" jingle on Spanky and Our Gang's 'Reach Out in the Darkness' (it also sounds like they're going "Retard in the darkness" on the chorus which is pretty amusing).

Yasuko of Melt-Banana infamy yelling in sing-song something like, "How many chickens do you get?" on 'Chicken Headed Racoon Dog'.

The Ronettes-swiped drum beat on 'Just Like Honey'.

Steve Ignorant ranting, "At school they give you shit! Chuck you in a pit!" on 'Do They Owe Us a Living' (Crass).

The dialogue introduction to 'Pena' by Captain Beefheat and His Magic Band.

The introduction of 'The Anal Staircase' by COIL.

The background song to 'Worker and Parasite' on The Simpsons.

Oh well, I'm getting less and less enthusiasm to list all this stuff down so I'll leave it there.

Cardinal Rob is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 04:07 PM   #83
sarramkrop

The cowboys and indians feel as played by Teenage Jesus And The Jerks of Boss Hog's Some Sara.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 04:11 PM   #84
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Karoli's opening freakout on "Mother Sky"

Kurihara's closing freakout on the 7" version of Ghost's "Guru In The Echo"
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 04:17 PM   #85
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
the entirety of the first song off of sweep the leg johnny's go down swinging

the part in slowdive blue skied n clear when the vocals fade out after the verses and then a new melody and the chorus emerges from it

the second part of boredoms - super going (you know, the part after the 2 chords for 9 minutes)

the new part at the end of hot snakes - audit in progress (the song)

the part in that captain beefheart song where he goes "SHE STUCK OUT HER TONGUE AND THE FUN BEGUN"

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 04:20 PM   #86
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I second the second part of the Boredoms thing.
That is a great one for biking or train riding.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 04:23 PM   #87
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
it's my all time favorite song.

Old 05.03.2007, 04:39 PM   #88
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
OH SHIT. i forgot about everytime the words "Manuscript replica" are said in ATDI's Rolodex Propaganda.

Anyione know what Iggy Pop does on that song?!?! the backup vocals don't sound like him...? maybe i don't know his voice...?

norma j is wrong, the one who sings all those "manuscript replica"s is jim, listen closely and you can hear the voice of sparta and if you see videos of atdi playing it live, you can clearly see it's jim singing it.

iggy doesn't sing in rolodex propaganda, iggy does the phone conversation bit in enfilade.
---
another favorite moment: whenever any fe-mail song breaks or swells down to maja doing her stuff.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 04:44 PM   #89
Style
stalker

Style kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's asses
i like the second half improv part of king crimson's "moonchild".
Style is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 04:57 PM   #90
something
bad moon rising

something kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's asses
the bass solo in darkbusters song cheap wine and cigarettes

http://www.myspace.com/usedtoaster
something is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 04:59 PM   #91
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
on NO BONES by dinosaur jr, when the guitar around 3/4 of the way through the song goes "dee dee dah dah" and there is an INSANE explosion like a hundred guitars vomited ten pounds of sonic feedback distortion barf appears and repeatedly washed over you......

OH MY GOD
Old 05.03.2007, 05:24 PM   #92
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
The first chorus in 'The Bottom of Everything' by Bright Eyes.

"While my mother waters plants, my father loads his gun- says death will give us back to god, just like the setting sun is returned to the lonesome ocean".

The first time Chan utters "Leave all your guns at home, help keep your momma safe" in Cat Power's 'Rockets'.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 05:36 PM   #93
diggers
little trouble girl

diggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's asses
4:05 ish into Sugar Kane when there's just the hi hat patterns followed by mellow guitar riff, quiet before the storm. Always makes me wanna exhale a lungfull off hash.

Opening 4 bars to Mudhoney's 'Touch me I'm sick'
diggers is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 05:39 PM   #94
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
from the bass and drums break to the dual guitar solos and back to the main riff part of mudhoney's in n out of grace.
Old 05.03.2007, 05:39 PM   #95
sarramkrop

The entire songs Blow Job and Miserable Life by The Action Swingers.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 05:40 PM   #96
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Way to many to think of off the top of my head.

During Lou Reed's "Coney Island Baby"
1. When he sings the line "But remember that the city is a funny place"
2. The end when he says "Man I swear I'd give the whole thing up for you."

Faith No More

The drumming during the bridge of "Jizzlobber" and then it turns into this serene keyboard music right before going back into the heavy drumming, but I love that whole song.

Elvis Costello- The bridge rock out and into the final verse on "Lipstick Vouge"
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 05:41 PM   #97
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

the opening chords of 13th floor elevators "you're gonna miss me" and roky's vocal performance, overall.
Old 05.03.2007, 06:22 PM   #98
diggers
little trouble girl

diggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's assesdiggers kicks all y'all's asses
Little Wing intro by Hendrix. a million and one immitators on youtube and none come close
diggers is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2007, 06:25 PM   #99
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

when that one melody comes in about half way through on squarepusher - welcome to europe

the final two minutes of pavement - stop breathing

every overdriven bass hit on venetian snares - winnipeg is fucking over

the scream at the end of amen - "unclean"

the final "prying open my third eye"

slint, good morning captain, "i miss you"

shellac, the entirety of "didn't we deserve a look at the way you really are?"

the part at the end of mr. bungle - "merry go bye bye"

Old 05.03.2007, 06:28 PM   #100
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
the final two minutes of pavement - stop breathing

every overdriven bass hit on venetian snares - winnipeg is fucking over
slint, good morning captain, "i miss you"

shellac, the entirety of "didn't we deserve a look at the way you really are?"

yes

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth