Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page HOLY SHIT!!!! Moore/Surgal/Winant Slay Mexico!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.26.2006, 01:27 AM   #1
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i just got back from the thurston moore/tom surgal/william winant show and all i can say is WWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!! it surpassed all my expectations!!

the place, el salón méxico is an old time dancehall which isn't small yet isn't big, it was filled to the rafters by people ranging from your rock intellectuals, grunge-will-never-die retro kids, token interpol/yeah yeah yeahs wannabes (or none wannabes, who am i to judge?) and some emo people. the place was packed, which seems odd to me since there aren't that many sy fans here (most people i told i was going, the general reply was "thurston what?"), so anyway; once there, thurston, tom and william passed right before me to get onstage, the place was also packed with security so you couldn't get near them at all. thurston played a jazzmaster of a color i couldn't make with a shitload of stickers, the most prominent said "SCHOOL IS OPEN", i also could make up some sonic nurse stickers near the plug-in jack, to a marshall jcm 900 half stack; i wasn't close enough to see what pedals he had but i heard a wah, a phase and an eq, also he had two fender combo amps which he used for a cheap mic and an 8-track mic; william winant had timpani, toms, cymbals, gongs of various sizes, two xylophones and different drumsticks and mallets; tom surgal had a more traditional drumset but had a lot of different kinds of rattlers, cowbells and even some whistles. also, william had the raddest shirt i've seen all year, it had a pic of kurt cobain's face with two crossed shotguns, skull and crossbones pirate style with the words "TEEN SPIRIT U.S.A." around it

as you might have guessed, they played "piece for jetsun dolma", not note for note but very close...hell, who am i kidding THEY SURPASSED IT!!!! it was waaaaaaaaaaaay better than the recording (i hope they officially release it), thurston started by strumming the strings gently and both tom and william started swinging away gently too, increasing as thurston began to conjure more radical sounds from his axe. t mo was being very stoic and solemn, eyes closed, swaying; totally rock n' roll but getting into the higher state of stuff, then he would flay a bit. in fact, thurston reminded me a bit of johnny ramone, mugging and intense but also kinda serious. as the improv got wilder so did he, he started to get more into it, producing feedback, smashing his guitar on the floor, rocking it to the amp, making amazing sounds; he was giving a show, kids in the front held their cell phone cams and thurston would twist on the stage floor, or lift his guitar, trying to give the people good shots.

at around minute 27, thurston got his first drumstick out, and it looked like he had taken it from when richard edson or jim sclavanous were in the band because it was taped together and had a brownish color of ageness, he began a quieter section as winant played the timpani and gongs and surgal scraped cymbals. on the other hand of the magnificient sounds coming from the stage, the crowd was fucking awful, whenever they got into a quiet section, people would start to holler or scream nonesense which was super stupid, it's like the crowd noises on the original jetsun dolma recording were doubled, it was very obnoxious, even more obnoxious was the stupid chatting in the background, people talking in the middle of the thing, it sucked!!; but whatever, i didn't mind them.

after the quiet part started to pick up, the sound got wilder and the frequencies began to scale up with thurston playing harmonics and strumming from the other side of the bridge and william wailed on the xylophone, thurston rested his guitar against the amp, splitting with feedback, to plug a cheap microphone to one of the fender amps, when he began to scream and holler thru it (the microphone and the time earlier on the show where thurston put his guitar headfirst onstage, body upwards resting in his legs while standing up, reminded me a bit of the magik markers), he bended over to get the mic close to the amp for feedback and his jeans were showing a little bit of asscrack, so it was as if he was mooning the crowd unintentionally. he writhed on the floor a little just to pick his guitar up again (without unplugging the mic) and you could clearly see his high e string broken but still attached to the guitar; they rocked harder and harder, surgal and winant conjuring something like a western seadrum-style boredoms drumming which was excellent, tribal yet punk rock, with the added free jazz/avant guard flavor. thurston then dropper his guitar on top of the xylophone and began to play it with a SPATULA...i kid you not!!!, he began scrapping the strings with it going lower and lower while tom played some sort of rattler. then thurston plugged in a tape recorder (and if they used the same gear as when they originally recorded jetsun dolma, then it was an 8-track) which thurston plugged into his pedal rig to produce some phantom feedback, scaled tones and some theremin-like action, all the while tom began blowing a very high-sounding whistle.

then, when it began to pick up, the band was clearly in the final stretch and began to scale the sound coming from the stage to the max, thurston turned two of his amps up, and tom and william started to drum the hardest and more recklessly than anywhere before during the show. then thurston, still rocking the guitar, dropped to the floor and began pulling someone who was videotaping the show with a professional camera onstage, thurston went behind him, gave him his guitar, started to hug him and lifting the guy's shirt, then t left him and picked up a girl from the front to go onstage with him, he rolled with the girl on the floor for a bit, then thurston got up, picked the girl's foot and started strumming his guitar with it. then, he picked her up in his arms and dropped jer and himself together on top of william's drumset!! almost knocking it but never quite; by this point everyone onstage was in hysterical laughter, then thurston picked another girl from the crowd and did the same on tom's drums. tom and william never stopped playing and thurston amps were still generating bassy tones, mind you, and thurston finally lifted the second girl and sat her on his amp, some more people crowd-surfed onstage and then that was that.

thurston picked the distorted mic, his smile a mile wide, and started to thank the crowd, mexico, introduced tom and william and wished goodnight, then they went offstage, passed right in front of me again but now there was the whole venue's worth of people trying to get close to thurston. and they left.

man!!! i never expected it was going to be this good!!! it was amazing, i had brought a cd of my noise stuff in hopes of giving it to thurston but since security was incredibly tight, i couldn't get a chance to get close to him (not to mention the humanity!!) but that's ok, i got my worth of a show, it made me want to be onstage and it made me want to see sonic youth live again!!! i still got to congratulate tom on the show, he was on the base of the stairs to the backstage area and had like 10 bodyguards around him, he smiled and gave me a thumbs up

also, i loved how the crowd chanted "THOORS-TON, THOORS-TON!!"

my other favorite thing was when thurston got a very high pitched feeback sound and winant was smashing the xylophone on the upper keys with all he got, a square guy in a dress shirt and jacket started to cover his ears with his fingers because it was annoying him. that was a punk rock moment right there and then!!!

man!!! concert of the year so far!!!. yoshida tatsuya and jamie stewart better bring their game if they want to get a chance of coming close to such an excellent show.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 01:36 AM   #2
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Wow That sounds really really awesome. My night of playing video games seems really lame now.

Thanks for the play by play. Your description makes me want to get onstange too, or maybe I'll just listen to Piece for Jetsun Dolma...
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 01:46 AM   #3
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
man!! jetsun dolma is sounding halfassed to me now after witnessing what i heard!!!

i seriously hope they recorded it to be released in the future. at least, i'd love to hear a bootleg of the show at least (i tried to get someone to lend me a tape recorder but failed miserably). but i want a recording of it that does it justice, not some thin sounding tape that has people talking around it.

don't ever miss a chance to see someone from sy doing anything!!! without a doubt my favorite group of musicians and my favorite band!!!
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 01:48 AM   #4
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
righteous.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 02:17 AM   #5
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Niiiiiice. Sounds like a good show.....good review too. Thanks for the info. You can't beat watching Thurston throw some girl into a drum set.
Old 03.26.2006, 06:29 AM   #6
Kannibal
children of satan

Kannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's asses
thanks, cool review...
Kannibal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 06:31 AM   #7
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Damn you Everyneurotic. You weakless postule. I'm very, very, very jealous.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 11:18 AM   #8
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
this reminds me of seeing dream aktion unit. thurston slowly climbed down into the audience and gradually began emerging out into the crowd, falling to the ground, and then lifting some hapless guy up on his shoulders at one point... me and my friend were standing right in front of him and as he came out in to the audience he was standing literally 1 foot away from me playing his guitar... one of the most surreal moments of my life...
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 11:48 AM   #9
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
that sounds so freaking awesome.
Old 03.26.2006, 11:51 AM   #10
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
The setting sounds good too, it's always nice to be somewhere that's changed its style, you can usually feel it. I thought I'd had a pertty productive night drinking cider, but your's sounds way better.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 12:14 PM   #11
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
sweet! nice one e.n. they go to mexico and not to irleand.... must have better food over there!!!
Old 03.26.2006, 03:34 PM   #12
roosteralan
empty page

roosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's asses
The security wasn't very tight, everyone had a camera pointed at Thurston, like me i have a 1hr avi file of the gig, i'm in a hurry right now, so i'll do my review in da night. and a torrent of the video. That's a pic taken with my motorola c650 without zoom or anything, so close.

roosteralan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 04:01 PM   #13
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
SYR 7!..
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 05:53 PM   #14
SkDc
empty page

SkDc has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Hi friends!! sorry for speak in spanish...

El concierto estubo de webooos!!!!! para mi es lo mejor del año sin duda
aca les dejo una pics que tomamos. que las disfruten

SkDc is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 05:54 PM   #15
SkDc
empty page

SkDc has a couple of kiss-ass net friends

Espero poder conseguir el video y en cuanto tenga mas fotos se las paso.

Saludos!!!
SkDc is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 05:56 PM   #16
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
roosteralan- dude! thanks.

skcd- gracias.

neat pics, guys.
Old 03.26.2006, 06:00 PM   #17
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Gracias SkDc......Mi espanol es asi asi, pero comprendo
Old 03.26.2006, 06:04 PM   #18
roosteralan
empty page

roosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's assesroosteralan kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston likes the virgin suicides or air, cool.
roosteralan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 01:18 AM   #19
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

tthurston played a jazzmaster of a color i couldn't make with a shitload of stickers, the most prominent said "SCHOOL IS OPEN", i also could make up some sonic nurse stickers near the plug-in jack,

wow man congrats & great review, sounds like an amazing concert.

anyway i quoted that little bit to let you know that the guitar in question (hah hah) has a thread of its own:

http://http://216.70.73.169/gossip/showthread.php?t=152

check it out & join! we'll soon crack the mystery...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 03:17 AM   #20
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Awesome review, everyneurotic.

And cool photos too, SkDc.

Thanks to both of you.

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth