Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.07.2019, 06:16 PM   #23681
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
Well, I thought Juno was pretty awful but I’m not a big fan of “pregnancy movies”, or pregnancy at all....

Recent appearance by Cera in one of the Weird City series. Series is hit or miss, but the Cera story was great.

That's probably why I resisted watching it because it was about teen pregnancy. But y'know, sometimes you watch something that's outside your world scope and it's enjoyable. But I get it.
Old 03.07.2019, 06:54 PM   #23682
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i sorta laughed in the end because of her walking companion lololo

i didnt like the weak plot. i mean there was a story, but shit just happened without a lot of structure or motivation.

in a way i appreciated the end titles which explain the sources. a bit like psycho with the need to clarify things haha, but it works for me in that it lets me put into perspective the whole thing.

also did not enjoy the utter lack of contrast in the dark. had to tweak the controls to extremes to be able to see. which i assume was against the atmosphere the thing tried to convey, but still...

the... no, it wasn’t boring. had a good atmosphere. i was just... it felt quite haphazard storywise. but then in retrospective i though “okay... i accept that”.

Huh. Well, I liked it. Thought it was really well-made and pretty original.

I’m really partial to art-house movies that sort of masquerade as horror movies and get away with it because there’s one or two proper horror sequences.

There’s another one.. AHHH, I forget the name!

It’s about a severely autistic (maybe schizophrenic as well) adult child living with his parents — a duke and duchess of some fancy English villa — and when he goes off his medication shit starts to get crayyyyyyzy.

I fucking can’t remember for the LIFE of me what it’s called, but it’s billed as horror, but it’s really not. It’s just a goddamn psychological trip.

Fuck, anyone know what I’m talking about?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2019, 06:59 PM   #23683
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i felt the opposite. that it masqueraded as arthouse but was just a gorefest (literally at one point ha ha ha).

i didn’t hate it or anything. i just wanted a better plot and more contrast in the image cuz i could not see shit at times.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2019, 08:29 PM   #23684
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i felt the opposite. that it masqueraded as arthouse but was just a gorefest (literally at one point ha ha ha).

i didn’t hate it or anything. i just wanted a better plot and more contrast in the image cuz i could not see shit at times.

Now I’m totally freaking out because I can’t remember the name of the movie about the schizophrenic earl of whatever and his son who goes off his meds and GODDAMMIT.

Saw it in 2010, British, schizophrenia ... main actor looks like Napoleon dynamite guy I think. What the hell.

Shit.

Feel like the name might have had “flowers” in it, or the word “dead,” but wasn’t marketed as a horror movie

Hell!
Old 03.08.2019, 12:40 AM   #23685
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The Living and the Dead?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2019, 12:52 AM   #23686
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I don't think it was masquerading as anything. Just one of those films that doesn't really fit comfortably in any category.

Also don't remember noticing any issue with the picture.
Old 03.08.2019, 05:37 AM   #23687
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't think it was masquerading as anything. Just one of those films that doesn't really fit comfortably in any category.
i used that just as a mirror to reverse severian’s statement but yeah it was no masquerade. i got caught up in rhetorical flourishes.

however i did think i was gonna find a period piece and found myself instead in some sort of hostel.

so much gore with little to no motivation i found problematic, and would not call it arthouse

eta: but then again, learning that it all came from folktale, it opened up for me some

Quote:
Also don't remember noticing any issue with the picture.

i didnt run it through a vectorscope, but the signal for this one was definitely darker than any other thing available on my screen. had to tweak luma and gamma hard to get a clear image.

sometimes people do that for aesthetic purpose. e.g. marcia macy marlene whatever the name of that was, used a desaturated/ underexposed film stock on purpose, but to me made it unwatchable. and i watched it at the movies actually but just looked bad.

with this one i wondered a lot if it was intended as an ancient would have seen inside a barn in the shadows... but see, the eye adapts to darkness more so than the camera. so maybe it was meant to convey their desperate state in visual form.

whatever the case, i had to tweak it way out of thx settings into overbright sports territory so that i could distinguish shapes
Old 03.08.2019, 07:11 AM   #23688
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Captain Marvel yesterday

I had never seen any of those "Superhero" movies but this one was surprisingly entertaining.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2019, 08:22 AM   #23689
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
The Living and the Dead?

No no no no no!!
Old 03.08.2019, 11:16 AM   #23690
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
No no no no no!!

Are you sure?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0483719/
Old 03.08.2019, 05:08 PM   #23691
demonrail666
invito al cielo

A Fistful of Dollars
Old 03.08.2019, 10:13 PM   #23692
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

I don’t know why I said “no,” it just didn’t sound right but

YES WHAT FUCK!!!

THANK YOU!!
Also ... HOW?!
Old 03.09.2019, 02:31 AM   #23693
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
I watched the documentary on Netflix "Shirkers". I found it to be quite fascinating, its about a teenage woman directing her first movie, only to have the movie stolen from her by someone she trusted. A mystery as to what happened to the man as well as her film would take her 20 years to discover.

Love "Shirkers" One of my very favorite films from last year. And while we're at it, a complete list:

1. Gemini
2. Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda
3. Suspiria
4. You Were Never Really Here
5. Happy As Lazzaro
6. Shirkers
7. Loveless
8. Assassination Nation
9. Les enfants du 209 rue Saint-Maur, Paris
10. First Man
11. Widows
12. The King
13. Madeline's Madeline
14. Support the Girls
15. 1985
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2019, 03:41 AM   #23694
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

A Fistful of Dollars

Actually rewatched this a couple weeks back myself. It was one of those where I might as well be watching it for the first time I'd forgotten so much. Anyway, great film. It's not Leone's best film but it's up there.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2019, 04:12 AM   #23695
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Actually rewatched this a couple weeks back myself. It was one of those where I might as well be watching it for the first time I'd forgotten so much. Anyway, great film. It's not Leone's best film but it's up there.

Yeah, just one of those evergreen greats. I tend to prefer the classic American westerns but you can't argue with a bit of Leone.
Old 03.09.2019, 04:13 AM   #23696
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Also ... HOW?!

Do you mean how did I know? You described it pretty accurately and I saw it around the same time you did.
Old 03.09.2019, 04:19 AM   #23697
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
ii didnt run it through a vectorscope, but the signal for this one was definitely darker than any other thing available on my screen. had to tweak luma and gamma hard to get a clear image.

sometimes people do that for aesthetic purpose. e.g. marcia macy marlene whatever the name of that was, used a desaturated/ underexposed film stock on purpose, but to me made it unwatchable. and i watched it at the movies actually but just looked bad.

with this one i wondered a lot if it was intended as an ancient would have seen inside a barn in the shadows... but see, the eye adapts to darkness more so than the camera. so maybe it was meant to convey their desperate state in visual form.

whatever the case, i had to tweak it way out of thx settings into overbright sports territory so that i could distinguish shapes

I just put on my DVD copy and scanned to some of the darker scenes and it seemed fine. I wonder if it was just a bad transfer you saw.
Old 03.09.2019, 08:53 AM   #23698
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I just put on my DVD copy and scanned to some of the darker scenes and it seemed fine. I wonder if it was just a bad transfer you saw.
hmmmm...

well the film was shot in digital so there are no more transfers to speak of, but encodes... a lot less difficult than scanning film. should generally not be a problem...

it was not all of the movie i had trouble with. mostly indoors scenes, and some of those grey woods

maybe my old plasma is dying at the edges of the spectrum or something. i need to get me a 4k thing, they are so cheap right now it’s crazy. but i think the witch...

ok no see... i just started googling the witch cinematography

https://www.indiewire.com/2016/03/ho...e-witch-61934/

they did push limits. maybe my monitor breaks at some of those edges. but yeah... hahaha. my eye don’t lie. a very grey low-contrast film on purpose

i can see them there but once indoors holy moses

this is in the woods. yes i get it that we dont see well in the woods and this does that effectively

this is clear enough thoug. maybe an artifact of streaming too as things sometimes lose definition over mediocre internet.
Old 03.09.2019, 04:46 PM   #23699
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Black Mass
Old 03.09.2019, 08:27 PM   #23700
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Do you mean how did I know? You described it pretty accurately and I saw it around the same time you did.

WOW.

You have no idea ... just ... wow.

I have some serious compulsive issues and a fuckton of other anxiety-based ticks and not knowing the name of this movie was FUCKING DRIVING ME INSANE.

I should show you a screenshot of the google searches I did. I called my girlfriend — or ex-girlfriend or whatever — and asked her, and she didn’t know. I went through probably 20 “most disturbing movie” lists trying to find it, because that’s where I *think* we found it the first time.

I was obsessing like mad, trying to describe it to people who had no clue what the fuck. And then .. you just handed it to me!

Rep points.
685108511351175118211831184 1185 11861187118811951235 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth