Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page 1991 - The year punk broke
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.12.2006, 03:27 PM   #1
PunkerViolence
stalker

PunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's asses
Anybody recomend this on VHS? Ive heared nothing but amazing comments about it...is it true....will i be dissapointed?? Where can i get my copy???
PunkerViolence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 03:28 PM   #2
PunkerViolence
stalker

PunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's assesPunkerViolence kicks all y'all's asses
ooops sorry for double posting.....someone delete....admin?
PunkerViolence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 03:33 PM   #3
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
yes this video is fucking great. i reccomend it 100%. no you will not be dissapointed. sadly, the only places i know of getting a copy at would be somewhere like amazon or ebay. but its only like seven bucks. buy it now!!!
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 03:10 PM   #4
The Ever Changing Face
empty page

The Ever Changing Face has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I'm holding my breath for this to come out on DVD. My vhs copy is worn down to almost nothing, and someone's cat peed on it after I let them borrow one of the greatest rockumentaries ever. We had to have the cat destroyed for obvious reasons. Brother James sounds soooooo sweet on this VHS.
The Ever Changing Face is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 03:19 PM   #5
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
I still have not seen this, but they really need to put it on dvd so I can. I would buy the vhs, but I don't own a vhs player. Something with a lot of cool extras would be great, but just the movie would be fine as well. Just come out with something!

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 03:23 PM   #6
Feelyat
little trouble girl

Feelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud of
Yeah, get it if you can. I think we'll have to wait a while before the DVD comes out. The VHS is what got me irrevocably into Sonic Youth. I was twelve when Kurt Cobain died. After his death, I tried to get as much Nirvana as I could get my little hands on -- bootlegs, side projects, b-sides, etc. Eventually, I bought 1991: The Year Punk Broke and quite immediately after, Sonic Youth became my favorite band. The live versions of those songs are incredible -- played with such ferocity. It took "Schizophrenia" to hook me and "Teenage Riot" to reel me in completely. And I've never looked back.
Feelyat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 04:24 PM   #7
The Ever Changing Face
empty page

The Ever Changing Face has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
There was some info I saw about a year back about it coming out on DVD, but you know these computronic machines and the false info they can send....
The Ever Changing Face is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 04:50 PM   #8
Gab
empty page

Gab has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
TTPB is incredible dude, 2 hours of good music and Thurston talking shit (i mean, the good shit, you know)
Gab is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 04:52 PM   #9
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
I guess i will have to buy this
gab, I had the 4 middle fingers first
Old 04.13.2006, 10:05 PM   #10
sonikjuice
little trouble girl

sonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelyat
Yeah, get it if you can. I think we'll have to wait a while before the DVD comes out. The VHS is what got me irrevocably into Sonic Youth. I was twelve when Kurt Cobain died. After his death, I tried to get as much Nirvana as I could get my little hands on -- bootlegs, side projects, b-sides, etc. Eventually, I bought 1991: The Year Punk Broke and quite immediately after, Sonic Youth became my favorite band. The live versions of those songs are incredible -- played with such ferocity. It took "Schizophrenia" to hook me and "Teenage Riot" to reel me in completely. And I've never looked back.

Ha! That's pretty similar to how I got into Sonic Youth. I got it for Christmas in 1994. I had Dirty at the time but was mostly into Nirvana and Dino Jr. After watching it a few times I was blown away by Sonic Youth. They were also reissuing all their albums on Geffen at the time and I ended up getting all of them over the next months. I liked how there was one track from each of their albums (plus 3 from Goo). I like the Brother James perfomance best (it actually made the album version a little disappointing)
sonikjuice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 10:09 PM   #11
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
I got lucky & found my VHS copy at a local record store. It was a used copy, but it had been barely used. So, I can wait for the DVD to be released.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 10:18 PM   #12
sonicpollution
little trouble girl

sonicpollution has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Yeah...1991: The Year Punk Broke is damn good...it was what really got me into SY. I'd heard some of their stuff before and though they were midly interesting, but I bought the VHS mainly for Nirvana. SY totally blew me away, and I was hooked from then on.

On that subject, anyone seen (This is Known as) The Blues Scale, the companion/extra footage thingy that was released in 2004? I've been meaning to track down a copy, but I've been lazy.
sonicpollution is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 10:49 PM   #13
luckynumber9
bad moon rising

luckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard sucka
TYPB... I love it. I think I'll watch it again this weekend. Yeah don't bother waiting for the DVD. You can get the VHS dirt cheap on amazon or elsewhere to hold you over until it does come out. Mine was still in the shrink wrap.

and we looked
and we passed
through the hallway of shatterproof glass
luckynumber9 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 10:50 PM   #14
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellouteater
I guess i will have to buy this
gab, I had the 4 middle fingers first

ripFREY started it, n00b.
Old 04.13.2006, 10:52 PM   #15
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
luckynumber9:

Lucky bastard. Your lucky in finding a none used copy of TYPB.

What year did that come out again? (ha ha)
-George Carlin
Old 04.13.2006, 11:42 PM   #16
JRPaperstacks
little trouble girl

JRPaperstacks has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
this is one of my favorite movies. not just for the music, but all of the in between stuff is really great. i cannot wait for it to come out on dvd. what ever happened to that project?
JRPaperstacks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 11:45 PM   #17
RockerNino
bad moon rising

RockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's assesRockerNino kicks all y'all's asses
yea, ive been itching to buy it, but at the same time have been waiting for the DVD to come out.
RockerNino is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2006, 01:58 AM   #18
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
Fuckin sweet movie. They need to bring this thing to DVD pronto, I was only able to see it via internet download and it looked and sounded like shite. Definitely some great music and amusing ahem insights by Thurston.
Old 04.14.2006, 08:35 AM   #19
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

"It's not a fake. It's not a clone. It's just FUCKING LIVE MAN!"
-Thurston Moore (1991 TYPB)
-George Carlin
Old 04.14.2006, 10:11 AM   #20
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I think that it is already on DVD. And yes, you should definitely see this film. It is awesome. A great documentary detailing Sonic Youth's tour of Europe in 1991. Awesome supporting bands, too. Dinosaur Jr, Ramones, Gumball, Nirvana, Babes In Toyland etc.
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth