Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page How Important was Jim O Rourke to SY when he was in it?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.13.2007, 04:55 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
How big of a part did Jim play in the albums that helped SY out on ? Would Murray Street and Sonic Nurse be radically different if he hadn't contributed or would they have basically been the same? Would the albums have been worse if Jim hadn't been involved ?

Murray Street and Sonic Nurse were SY's most praised records in years. Before Jim their album NYC G&F got bad reviews and most fans agree after jim left and they did Rather Ripped that it wasn't as good an album as they'd been doing lately.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2007, 05:00 PM   #2
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
he brought a lot of studio savvy to the albums...and without him we would
have been denied the bass line in "plastic sun". did he galvanize the
Youth? they certainly gave the impression they loved having him around.

when he was into it he was like a mini-thurston with his onstage energy.
when he wasn't into it, he gave the impression of a fifth wheel waiting
to fall off. contrast this with ibold, who treats every performance like
a dinner at the florida avenue grill.

"Would Murray Street and Sonic Nurse be radically different if he hadn't contributed or would they have basically been the same? Would the albums have been worse if Jim hadn't been involved ?"

unequivocally they would have been different, but radically? i think jim definitely brought a
focus and skill to the process that no other band member could. i don't think it's a stretch to
say he has a superior "ear". even if he did produce the worst us maple album ever. sorry jim.
Old 11.13.2007, 06:30 PM   #3
avantgarde1
the end of the ugly

avantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's assesavantgarde1 kicks all y'all's asses
that man can do no bad in my eyes. and i loved it when he was in SY, i loved seeing him live w/ them. i wish he would have stayed a member.

avantgarde1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2007, 07:01 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
i miss that dude, when He was in sonic youth, his bass skills took jamming to a new level, and that is completely lacking in the new. The synthesis between improv and planning is gone, its all planning again.... alas, the psychedelic/jam band/jazz fusion theme is gone and the noise/rocknroll theme is back in action....

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.13.2007, 11:12 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
not important at all.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 12:02 AM   #6
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
contrast this with ibold, who treats every performance like a dinner at the florida avenue grill.

OK, Jenn... You have to tell us more about the florida avenue grill!
Old 11.14.2007, 12:13 AM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
VERY important-- he ruined it!

ha ha ha no. i believe there'd be no rain on tin without him. but there'd be no NYCGF either. hm....

i dont know. im sleepy.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 01:50 AM   #8
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
he was a member while they did nyc ghost and flowers.
not an official one of course, just an engineer/producer but you can really hear him on some of the songs (on side 2 side for example)

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 07:59 AM   #9
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
he wasnt important in a creative way, maybe allowed a bit more fredom like rain on tin but he was important in an extra pair of hands way. he didnt enjoy it, he left to pursue his own thing but i never believed it would be permanent anyway.
Old 11.14.2007, 11:46 AM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
he wasnt important in a creative way, maybe allowed a bit more fredom like rain on tin but he was important in an extra pair of hands way. he didnt enjoy it, he left to pursue his own thing but i never believed it would be permanent anyway.

I take it people here either never have seen, or are completely ignoring Jim's contributions to live Sonic Youth. If you had it would be crazy to say "he didn't enjoy it" and that "he wasn't imporant in a creative way" well that is just absurd! poor jim getting no credit for the five or six years he worked with a group... that must suck!

Old 11.14.2007, 12:50 PM   #11
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
he came up with the bassline on PATTERN RECOGNITION I guess which is IMPORTANT to me.
Old 11.14.2007, 01:20 PM   #12
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
i didnt really like how he was a member at first. this was before i listened to his solo stuff. but now i have and i'm a big fan of it. it's funny how his music and sy's music differ. when he was in the band, he didn't add his 'musical flare' to it, he just magnified and matured sy's sound. which ended up sounding completely awesome. you can definitely tell the difference now in sy's latest music. but i dont think it sounds bad at all.

and yeah, jim is a really awesome bass player. too bad he's not making music anymore.
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 01:44 PM   #13
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=!@#$%!]
i believe there'd be no rain on tin without him.
quote]

Very wrong. Check the track "Choir Boy Church Basement" from Thurston's HURRICANE FLOYD disc... it's essentially a solo acoustic rendition of "Rain On Tin" that seems to show that "Rain" started as a solo Thurston track, and its form was pretty much done.

In fact, if I remember correctly (from the SILVER ROCKETS/KOOL THINGS documentary, much of MURRAY ST started as songs that Thurston was going to record for a proposed solo album back then, but they ended up being used by SY.

BUT check out HURRICANE FLOYD, one of my favorite Thurston improv albums.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 03:16 PM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
...yeah. so, he wasn't important at all, like i said.

Old 11.14.2007, 03:20 PM   #15
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I think he was important, but only in the way he was important to Wilco: studio style.

I mean, "Disconnection Notice" would sound the same, but wouldn't have the quasi-electronic fade-in happening throughout, y'know? Maybe "Sympathy For The Strawberry" would lack the keyboard. He seems very interested in subtle touches that fill out a production, not so interested in skeletal songwriting.

Just my guess. I wasn't there when they wrote/recorded, but...
Old 11.14.2007, 03:31 PM   #16
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
even if he did produce the worst us maple album ever.
The worst U.S. Maple album is still a fuckuvalot better than most other shit, man!

Nurse is one of my favourite SY records, and I think the both of them would be pretty different without him... I don't really know exactly all the stuff he does, but I know it's a lot of studio stuff, and writing a couple bits... regardless... guy rules.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 03:42 PM   #17
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Long Hair in 3 Stages is my favorites, besides Talker. Hmph.

I really like Jim, a lot of his solo work (especially the more electronic stuff) is wonderful, and his work with Gastr Del Sol is godlike. I just don't think he really contributed too much to SY... though the production on NYC Ghosts and Flowers is AMAZING...

Old 11.14.2007, 03:44 PM   #18
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
I wouldn't underestimate his contribution to SY. He's a good musician/producer and added a lot to Murray Street and Sonic Nurse. Love the way he improvised and freaked with his pedals on the Nurse tour.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2007, 04:02 PM   #19
noisereductions
invito al cielo

As far as solo, I love I'M HAPPY AND I'M SINGING AND A 1,2,3,4
Old 11.14.2007, 06:41 PM   #20
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
I wouldn't underestimate his contribution to SY. He's a good musician/producer and added a lot to Murray Street and Sonic Nurse. Love the way he improvised and freaked with his pedals on the Nurse tour.

thank you, somebody gets it.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth