Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Live Archive and Gear Store
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.24.2018, 11:35 AM   #1
halgreen
stalker

halgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asses
Big news folks.

"Sonic Youth are celebrating Daydream Nation‘s 30th anniversary with film events/Q&As in various cities, but that’s not all. They also launched a live archival audio and video release program on nugs.net, which fill feature audio from Daydream Nation-era 1988 concerts at CBGB and Chicago’s Cabaret Metro, as well as a 2002 Chicago show, a 2007 Glasgow show (which there will also be video of), a 2009 Berlin show, and what ended up being Sonic Youth’s final NYC show, 2011 at Williamsburg Waterfront. Here’s more info via press release:

Effective immediately, Sonic Youth fans can access the initial live audio and video content being offered through nugs.net’s ongoing archival release program. This content is available in the nugs.net music streaming service as well as in multiple download formats ranging from MP3 to hi-resolution audio, as well as on CD.

“Through the years and as the times changed we recorded our live shows as often as we could, on cassettes, DATs, CD-Rs and later on multi-track recorders. We collected fan-generated audience tapes, shady bootlegs and anything we could get our hands on. We now maintain an archive of hundreds of hours of Sonic Youth concerts and we’d like to share some of our favorites, often from the best uncirculated source possible via nugs.net.” said Sonic Youth drummer, Steve Shelley.

Lance Bangs’ new Daydream Nation film, which is being screened at those aforementioned film events, will also be made available on nugs.net. Head to nugs.net for more.

As mentioned, the Daydream Nation film events happen in Portland, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Austin, Philly, and Brooklyn. The Brooklyn one is on 11/19 at Alamo Drafthouse with Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley scheduled to be in attendance, and that’s sold out.

Reverb.com is also launching The Official Sonic Youth Reverb Shop on October 30 which “will feature more than 200 pieces of gear used on tour and in the studio as far back as the 1988 and 1989 Daydream Nation tours through to 2011. The shop will also feature nearly 200 screen-printed show posters, rare poster-sized photographs, memorabilia, and personal relics from concerts throughout the band’s career.”

Steve Shelley’s band Spectre Folk are also playing a fundraiser for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Jess King and Justice Democrats in Jersey City with SAVAK and Suwatchers on Friday (10/26).

After that, Steve will join his former SY bandmate Thurston Moore for the “New Noise Guitar Explorations” tour. Thurston also has an upcoming residency at The Stone."

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/sonic-youth-launch-live-audiovideo-archive-online-shop-with-tour-gear/"

Here are the shows currently available. Listening on computer speakers already tells me these have been shined up. Super excited for all this.

11/05/1988 - Cabaret Metro (Bright bootleg)
12/13/1988 - CBGB
08/17/2002 - Metro
08/22/2007 - ABC1 (Live DDN)
10/21/2009 - Columbiahalle
10/19/2011 - Williamsburg Waterfront (Last NY show, previously circulated as an audience recording from NYC Taper, the recording on nugs is way different)
halgreen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2018, 04:03 PM   #2
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, them audio snippets sounds realy good quality live recordings...

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2018, 06:20 PM   #3
halgreen
stalker

halgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asseshalgreen kicks all y'all's asses
Has anyone dug into this? The 88 shows sound great, and unlike the boots, these are complete with rare and awesome sounding “I love her all the time” and “wanna be yr dog” (one with members of laughing here + die kreuzen, one with members of ball.)

I listened to the last NY show this morning...I mean it’s gotta be the most hi-if version of “flower” out there...not to mention freakin “ghost bitch” they really outdid themselves on transferring and restoring these shows.

Looking forward to video and some more goodies
Old 10.25.2018, 10:30 PM   #4
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
So....they're selling some gear.....
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2018, 11:15 PM   #5
halgreen
stalker

Yeah, not rich enough for that. Hoping to settle on some posters and photos
Old 10.26.2018, 12:34 AM   #6
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
yeah they are selling their gear. maybe they just want to get rid off it. when I was reading that article in Brooklyn Vegan about nugs.net I thought it is a free sharing community, but then, when I checked it out I understood, but then, those recordings are from a great source it seems and amazing audio-wise so I can see they are for sale like a official live material.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2018, 10:31 PM   #7
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
i got an audience recording of the 2011 brooklyn show that was their last US show years ago but this version at nugs website is a soundboard recording. It's very good.
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2018, 10:39 AM   #8
halgreen
stalker

Anyone get anything cool in the Reverb sale? I snagged a copy of Hold That Tiger and this poster from the Dirty tour.

Old 10.30.2018, 12:37 PM   #9
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
I've literally been trying to figure out what the sticker on that black Roadstar is for 20 years...and it's a fucking Hard Days Night sticker!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2018, 12:43 PM   #10
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
I actually purchased Kim's Sitori Sonics Brownies and Cream pedal, been thinking about one of these for awhile... Was thinking about Lee's Ibanez tube king overdrive and that music man stingray guitar which looked more appealling without the "We love Yes" taped on the body, but they both sold ...alot of the functional pedals sold fast, then the broken stuff sold too... and sorta amused on the guitar prices. Some gear is priced without a horribly high markup while others kinda seem like they were? :/

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2018, 12:57 PM   #11
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
How long do the listings stay active after they're sold? I obviously want to capture all of these pictures but I have to head to work soon...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 10.30.2018, 02:33 PM   #12
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
How long do the listings stay active after they're sold? I obviously want to capture all of these pictures but I have to head to work soon...

I think most of the listings remain veiwable for a a few days to a few weeks... Moby recently had a Reverb shop about 1-2 weeks ago and most of his stuff is still viewable. And if you are savvy enough searcher via Google I think you can get to any listing. I'm suprised that Lee's Tele Deluxe is still available after seeing how alot of the other guitars have sold.

Old 10.30.2018, 03:09 PM   #13
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Thinking harder about that Bandmaster Reverb amp than I should be, would have to make a lowball offer though. Had a busy morning and missed all the pedals. How do you view the completed listings?
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2018, 03:41 AM   #14
Chris Lawrence

Even if you click a listing and it says "Sorry, this listing is no longer available" you can still scroll down and see the original listing.

That Bigsby Tele would have been nuts, pretty much in constant use since '87, featured on so many memorable tracks...
Old 10.31.2018, 02:42 PM   #15
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
Even if you click a listing and it says "Sorry, this listing is no longer available" you can still scroll down and see the original listing.

That Bigsby Tele would have been nuts, pretty much in constant use since '87, featured on so many memorable tracks...

I agree on the Tele, though I wonder how the tuning stability is after all these years. One of the notorious things i here about people who put bigsby's on guitars not originally set for one, is that the tuning stability is compromised. Though I would imagine that if the bigsby was put on correctly and the guitar strung correctly through it, as I imagine SY techs would have done, that it would've been fine. However, the guitar does not to appear have been in use for the last several years... have to wonder. ...I see it finally sold.

Old 10.31.2018, 02:48 PM   #16
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
Thinking harder about that Bandmaster Reverb amp than I should be, would have to make a lowball offer though. Had a busy morning and missed all the pedals. How do you view the completed listings?

I think that bandmaster amp head is abit of a tricky sell because of the mod work done to it, its been reconfigured with the OT or PT to have a 2 ohm and 4 ohm output. That seems abit odd for today's typical cab/speaker ohmage ratings, unless you have a 2x12 wired in parallel with 8 ohm each speakers (giving you 4 ohms for the overall cab) or a 4x12 with the same 8ohm each speakers in parallel (giving you i think 2 ohm cab overall), it may provide an interesting tone response in comparison to using 2x12 or 4x12 arrangement with 16 ohm each speakers.

The blackface showman still available looks really nice, but thats alot of $$$ (for me to throw down when I already own several amps)

Old 01.16.2019, 12:44 PM   #17
halgreen
stalker

New mixes of these shows now available on Nugs! Very excited for the Crawford Hall show, time to retire my patched together bootleg of the whole show.

http://nugs.net/browse/music/21133/S...Hall-Irvine-CA

http://nugs.net/browse/music/21132/S...Los-Angeles-CA
Old 01.16.2019, 11:36 PM   #18
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by halgreen
New mixes of these shows now available on Nugs! Very excited for the Crawford Hall show, time to retire my patched together bootleg of the whole show.

http://nugs.net/browse/music/21133/S...Hall-Irvine-CA

http://nugs.net/browse/music/21132/S...Los-Angeles-CA

The '98 show is one of my absolute favorite SY gigs. I am a notorious stan for A Thousand Leaves, however.
Old 07.22.2020, 07:44 PM   #19
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
I just popped into the SY Reverb Shop for the first time in a long time to see if there is anything new. They are selling a large elaborate Neve recording and mixing console with a history of many SY recording projects. There is a lengthy description and partial history. Does this mean recording at Echo Canyon West in Hoboken is no more? I expect so...

https://reverb.com/item/26411208-nev...ntent=26411208

The console was custom made for the National Film Board Of Canada, it would be cool if the band Boards Of Canada bought this console, as they were inspired by the film soundtracks produced on it. Anyone got their number? I’m not a tweeter of facebooker.
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2020, 08:12 PM   #20
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I just popped into the SY Reverb Shop for the first time in a long time to see if there is anything new. They are selling a large elaborate Neve recording and mixing console with a history of many SY recording projects. There is a lengthy description and partial history. Does this mean recording at Echo Canyon West in Hoboken is no more? I expect so...

https://reverb.com/item/26411208-nev...ntent=26411208

This console is shown and discussed on In Doubt, Shadow Him! by Lee and Aaron - the console that had "9/11 dust" on it... presumably not just from buildings, but people. Good grief.

Quote:
The console was custom made for the National Film Board Of Canada, it would be cool if the band Boards Of Canada bought this console, as they were inspired by the film soundtracks produced on it. Anyone got their number? I’m not a tweeter of facebooker.

A Canadian friend of mine told me once he planned on naming his band "Broads Of Scotland".

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth