Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Neil Young's "Living With War"
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.20.2006, 01:21 AM   #1
simibaby
little trouble girl

simibaby has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Who's heard it all and familiar w/ it? How does it rate MUSICALLY? (not counting subject matter). MUSICALLY!... Opinions? Thanks!
simibaby is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2006, 01:28 AM   #2
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
cool tunes. neil uses a capo on nearly every song, so even though he's using the same chords he always uses, the songs sound...different. great rhythm section (lost dogs/restless/bluenotes drums/bass, and they're heavy as shit), the choir is pretty awesome...

not a lot of solos, mostly a vocal record, but great great guitar sounds + lots of energy.

have you, like, not heard it? weren't you the one who was gauging whether or not to see CSNY based on the LWW content in their set?
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2006, 01:46 AM   #3
simibaby
little trouble girl

yeah, thanks for the input, Chris.
Old 08.20.2006, 10:16 AM   #4
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
If you haven't heard it yet, you can listen online on http://www.neilyoung.com/lwwtoday/index.html (there's a link somewhere in the left column), if yu want to choosebetween tracks, go here:http://www.thegreedyhand.com/

I haven't really liked his recent albums, the last one I really liked was Sleeping with Angels, and Mirror Ball whichever came last. But LWW I do like again. You can hear that it was recorded fast, and I love the big background choir.

Too bad they aren't touring Europe... would have loved to see this tour.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2006, 10:28 AM   #5
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
_tunic_'s link will allow you to listen to it in its entirety, but if you'd also like to read the impressions people here had after the album was first released, check
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...hlight=impeach

and here's one from before it was released
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...hlight=impeach

How does it rate MUSICALLY?

Prairie Wind is better.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2006, 12:35 PM   #6
simibaby
little trouble girl

thanks, all!
Old 08.20.2006, 03:43 PM   #7
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
no prairie wind is NOT better.Living With War is a great record. Every song on it is great, unlike prairie. I love that distorted guitar line in "after the garden" ,the giant sounding chords on "lets impeach the prez" and the aggressive sound of "looking for a leader". This will be a classic record.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2006, 07:40 PM   #8
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Not one of Neil Young's best, but certainly a record with some great tunes. It's a good record.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2006, 07:45 PM   #9
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I really liked Prairie Wind. I thought it was a beautiful record. Very lush and reflective. Very mellow and somewhat sad. A wonderful record that sometimes suffers from too much melancholy, but I love it. I nearly cried when I saw Neil perform "It's A Dream" on SNL in December of '05. Ok, ok, so I was high on an 1/8 of amazing shrooms that night, but whatever, it was still amazing.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth