Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page lasts nights show...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.11.2012, 11:18 PM   #21
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyboyz
Was the Thurston tour poster signed by Thurston or the poster artist? What did it look like? Was it a dennis tyfus poster? Did they sell any demolished thoughts tshirts? Some guy was complaining on Thurston's facebook page that he bought a demolished thoughts tshirt at the gig and it had a typo on it and said "demolished thoughtzs ". Was that one available? I cant believe they sold TV shit at the gig. Ive got the built for lovin lp. Also why does John Maloney have the Black Flag logo on his drum head? What's up with that? It just seems kind of an odd choice for an acoustic tour? I wish someone would take a pic of the merch booth with their iPhone so we could see everything they sold.

It was signed by Thurston. The poster itself wasn't anything fancy. Looked like a large xeroxed image w/ Thurston's signature in white ink. Definitely not a Dennis Tyfus poster. I don't remember seeing a Demolished Thoughts tee, just the trees one. However, I think one with a typo would be cooler than the regular one...adds character and stuff. I was a bit surprised to see TV shit, as well. One of my least favorite Sonic releases, even though they sound as if they are having a lot of fun on it. Why does he have the Black Flag logo on his drum head? Not sure...but they made several references to hardcore through out the night (Thurston mentioned SS Decontrol in a poem he recited). I'm sure they all grew up listening to Black Flag. Were a couple moments where it sounded as if they were about to break into some acoustic hardcore tunage, but stopped each time. Was fun. Also, Demolished Thoughts were originally the name of Thurston's hardcore cover band, 'less we forget. He's notorious for making references to all sorts of music (he mentioned Merzbow at the show too, as well as Guided by Voices). He's an eclectic individual with eclectic taste, which is always a good thing. Would have been far too cliche had they a pic of Bob Dylan on the drum head....just something generic and expected for an acoustic gig. The Black Flag bars looked gorgeous and it made me happy to see them.

And I hate to break it to ya....but anyone taking pictures at the gig were far more interested in taking pics of the actual show than they were the merch booth...I mean, pretty much all of that stuff is available online.
Old 02.11.2012, 11:31 PM   #22
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
I don't see how it could be a bad thing to have a Black Flag sticker (or any other type of sticker) on a drum head. It just seems a random representation of something certain individual (in this case John Moloney maybe, as opposed to the whole band) would like. It is like when people wet their panties about how cool Jenny Lindberg of Warpaint supposedly is just because there were stickers of Minor Threat and Radiohead on her bass (she covered the Radiohead one recently, I suppose somebody freaked out or at least got confused or intrigued, geez). Both stances are lame. For instance, no one has ever gotten to discuss the implications of the "Reading Is Sexy" sticker that used to be emblazoned on Thurston's guitar (right?).

Anyway, thanks for sharing your pictures and stories with the board, swa(y).
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2012, 12:01 PM   #23
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
not to change the subject but for those who were there how was San Agustin? I checked out the youtube clips of them opening and they sound pretty good, when was the last time they played? they didn't sound quite as minimal as i've known them to be.

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2012, 03:10 PM   #24
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
not to change the subject but for those who were there how was San Agustin? I checked out the youtube clips of them opening and they sound pretty good, when was the last time they played? they didn't sound quite as minimal as i've known them to be.

Honestly, I'd never heard of them prior to a few weeks before this show. I researched them a bit beforehand, and couldn't find an awful lot of information. Seems their shows have been a bit sparse over the past several years. I know David Daniell has collaborated with some pretty interesting folk (Loren Connors, Rhys Chatham, etc).

The show itself was fantastic. Very pretty, almost ambient at times. Bits of chaotic single note guitar assault thrown in here and there. They were good. I'd go as far as to say they were exceptional as far as improvisational stuff is concerned (an area I like, but feel as if there is more bad stuff than good).

Would definitely check them out again given the opportunity.
Old 02.13.2012, 09:16 PM   #25
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
...was a talking baby wizard.
Old 02.13.2012, 09:50 PM   #26
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
...was a talking baby wizard.

Last nights dream, maybe.

Old 02.14.2012, 08:02 AM   #27
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Wow nice shirts! WANT WANT WANT
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.14.2012, 11:23 AM   #28
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Honestly, I'd never heard of them prior to a few weeks before this show. I researched them a bit beforehand, and couldn't find an awful lot of information. Seems their shows have been a bit sparse over the past several years. I know David Daniell has collaborated with some pretty interesting folk (Loren Connors, Rhys Chatham, etc).

The show itself was fantastic. Very pretty, almost ambient at times. Bits of chaotic single note guitar assault thrown in here and there. They were good. I'd go as far as to say they were exceptional as far as improvisational stuff is concerned (an area I like, but feel as if there is more bad stuff than good).

Would definitely check them out again given the opportunity.

Yeah, I saw them once when they were more of a semi-regular band... they are really interesting unfortunately they don't play much anymore because I believe they all live in different parts of the Midwest US now? I know David a little as I have opened shows for him before and I was in the "Chatham Guitar Trio is my Life" (Buffalo show), and he was Rhys's "technical assistant" on that tour/project... San Agustin do not have much recorded output, a good portion is hard to find now their 1st LP, an early 7", a cassette... the 3 cds are easier to find (one is a table of the elements boxset another is collab. w/ longtime partner of Loren Connors, Suzanne Languille) and a table of the elements one sided 12" part Lanthanides series celebrating the 10 years of table of the elements label.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/San+Agustin

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth